Miscarriage/Pregnancy Loss
Options

Genetic testing...

Before my D&C, my dr. told me that she would send the fetal tissue to the genetics lab for testing.  She says she does it with all "later" losses (my loss was at 12w3d), and that most of the time, it helps the parents cope with their loss to know what actually happened.  I am assuming I will find out the results at my follow-up appt. next week.  Did any of you have genetic testing done, and if so, did it help you to actually know why you miscarried?

Part of me wants to know, and a tiny part of me wants to just leave it be.  I have two healthy DDs already, so I am very blessed for that, and they are my reasoning behind just wanting to leave it be and not know the results.  On the other hand, I question it CONSTANTLY.  You know, wondering what I did wrong, if I could have prevented it, etc.

Also, with genetic testing, are they able to tell you the baby's gender?  I would really like to know, although I know in my heart it was a boy.

Image and video hosting by TinyPic Image and video hosting by TinyPic
BFP #1 5/2004 Karina Frances born February 6, 2005 8 lb., 6 oz.
BFP #2 8/2010 Hadleigh Abigail born April 7, 2011 8 lb., 11 oz.
BFP #3 7/2011 EDD 3/27/12 Missed MC at 12w3d (Sara Grace)
BFP #4 12/13/11 EDD 8/19/12 Praying for this little baby!
BabyFruit Ticker

Re: Genetic testing...

• Options

Assuming that they had a good quality sample, they will certainly be able to tell you the gender of the baby. I learned that my last loss was a genetically normal little girl. I too was sure it was a boy!

I will tell you it makes it a lot harder saying goodbye when you know the gender. I lost my first baby in a similar fashion and didn't know the gender, and knowing this last time around made it feel so much more real. I just want to prepare you. T&P to you.

P.S. You did NOTHING wrong. 

BFP #1 May 2008: live miscarriage at 12.5 weeks
    BFP #2 February 2009: Beautiful baby girl born at 33weeks 5days after 8 weeks of PTL, hospital bedrest and mag sulfate
    BFP #3 September 2010: miscarried at 6.5 weeks
    BFP #4 January 2011: Cerclage placed at 12.5 weeks, live miscarriage at 14 weeks RPL testing May 2011 - FOUND Factor V Leiden and slight autoimmune issues! Never so excited to have something wrong with me!
    BFP #5 August 2011: Aspirin and Lovenox - trying one more time!IT'S A BOY!!!
    BabyFetus Ticker image
  • Options
    imageTapioca:

Assuming that they had a good quality sample, they will certainly be able to tell you the gender of the baby. I learned that my last loss was a genetically normal little girl. I too was sure it was a boy!

I will tell you it makes it a lot harder saying goodbye when you know the gender. I lost my first baby in a similar fashion and didn't know the gender, and knowing this last time around made it feel so much more real. I just want to prepare you. T&P to you.

P.S. You did NOTHING wrong. 

I totally agree with the bolded portion. We had chromosome analysis done on my most recent loss because it was the second loss, and the baby made it to 10w2d before passing away, and I found out a week later. We found out the baby had Trisomy 21, Down Syndrome, and we were referred to a genetic counselor because sometimes chromosome abnormalities can be inherited. Ours turns out to be spontaneous and should have no impact on future pregnancies.

The genetic counselor did also say our baby was a girl. It totally changed my mentality from "I miscarried" or "I lost my baby" to "I lost my DAUGHTER." It adds another level of reality and grief. I think I am glad to know the baby's sex, but it definitely changes my relationship with this loss, compared to my first where it was an abnormal pregnancy from the get-go.

I will also say that even though I "knew" I didn't do anything wrong, knowing it was a chromosome problem that caused the loss alleviated some of that irrational guilt. 

Image and video hosting by TinyPic
    Lilypie First Birthday tickers
    Congrats to both my TTC buddies, Amberley18 and sb2006 on their beautiful babies!
  • Loading the player...
  • Options
    i had genetic testing for my 1st mc & it came back a boy w/no chromosome problems, that made me so sad, it must have been something wrong w/me, added stress but the stress of not knowing would have been worse for me (i did find out that they only test of the most prevalent chromosomal abnormalities so this doesnt completely rule out all chromosomal abnormalities, they only test for all in controled clinical studies)...my 2nd d&c was last week, im waiting for the results (FYI prepare yourself, it can take 3-4wks for results)...i believe the more info you and your clinicians know the more you can do to prepare for a healthy pregnancy...but that is a personal decision, best of luck and do prepare yourself bc it does hurt
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"