North Carolina Babies
Options

NBR: Adult flu shot question

This seems like a somewhat silly question, but why do healthy adults need to get the flu shot? For the record, DD got it last year and this year. I got it last year and got a strain of the flu that was not covered. DH did not get the flu shot last year and got sick with the same strain I had. DD did not get sick at all. So, I'm trying to figure out if it's worth getting a flu shot this year. If DD is protected from all of the strains that the flu shot covers, what does it matter if I'm protected or not?

Like I said, I realize this is kind of a silly question. When I was pregnant and for DD's first winter season last year, I didn't question getting the shot at all. I just did it. After getting sick, though, I'm sort of wondering what the point is...

Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml

Re: NBR: Adult flu shot question

• Options
    I personally don't get the flu shot when I'm not pregnant or TTC. I never have. I guess it's just a matter of personal preference, but I've never felt convinced that I needed it except during pregnancy/TTC.
  • Options
    We get them free through work, so I get one.  If it wasn't free, then I'd probably not. I never got one before I started working here.
  • Loading the player...
  • Options
    I never got one until I was pregnant. Last year I got it at the state fair, its free and I was there anyway. I'll probably do it again. There is no way I would make an appointment for it. 
    image Caleb is 3! 101 in 1001
  • Options
    I've heard mixed things from people. i know numerous people that got the shot and still got a strain of the flu. I had the flu really bad in 2007 and said i never wanted it again so since then i've always gotten the shot and stayed healthy from the flu. i plan to get it again thsi year as well as DS>
    imageLilypie Third Birthday tickers
  • Options
    Knock on wood, but I've never gotten the flu shot and have never got the flu. So, I don't really know why. Most people I know who caught the flu also received the flu shot...
  • Options

I'm a big fan of flu shots.  :)  Sure,  you still may get sick but the flu shot generally does a pretty good job of protecting you from most strains (what they predict will be the most common strains during a flu season).  It is not a sure thing but gives you better odds of not getting sick.  And I really don't want the full blown flu! 

Kim

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Options
    I recommend the flu shot, but I'm also a nurse. :) I've seen what the flu can do to people, even healthy ones, and I don't want it...For the record though, the flu shot will protect you against the predominant strain of the flu (based on what it was last year), but there are plenty of other strains out there. But wouldn't it be better to be protected against the largest risk? That's my thought.
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • Options
    Going back to college, my experience is that I've gotten the flu every year I've gotten the flu shot (months later), and I've never gotten the flu the years I haven't gotten the shot.  I'm not saying it's a X --> Y correlation, but it's true nonetheless!  For that and other reasons, I won't get flu shots again unless something changes.  I don't think your thoughts are weird at all. :)
    Pregnant with #1 with PCOS and LPD, success with mostly naturopathic treatments
    Our Thanksgiving Day baby 11/22/07

imageimageimage

Pregnant with #2 with LPD, uterine polyp/hysteroscopy, DOR (AMH = 0.17), 2 c/ps
    Our early Christmas present 12/9/10
  • Options

imagejenwill:
    I recommend the flu shot, but I'm also a nurse. :) I've seen what the flu can do to people, even healthy ones, and I don't want it...For the record though, the flu shot will protect you against the predominant strain of the flu (based on what it was last year), but there are plenty of other strains out there. But wouldn't it be better to be protected against the largest risk? That's my thought.

Ditto. Except I'm not a nurse. :-) An annual flu shot is a given for me, and everyone in my family. 

photo c107d4aa-9909-4a33-b3bd-bd94168bd5fc.jpg

• Options
    We never get the flu shot in our family, not even when I was pregnant and knock on wood, none of us has ever had the flu. Like the previous posters said, almost everyone I know who has gotten the shot has gotten the flu. I understand it only protects you from the dominant strain of the flu that season, but the way I feel now, none of us will be getting it this year either.
  • Options

I and the girls have gotten them every year since they were born.  Had no issues with them and we've never gotten the flu.  I'd rather be protected from at least the strain it's designed for. 

Lilypie Third Birthday tickers
    Lilypie First Birthday tickers

My Sweet Girls

• Options
    This is the only year I plan on getting one, along with DH. It took me a LONG time to make the decision about it, I never have gotten one and I am wary of getting a shot that has no guarantee of protecting me from the flu in the end. Predictions about the top strains just isn't enough for me to warrant it. Due to being PG, I'll get it more to protect DS since he's due at the end of December, but that's about it.
    Baby Charchie born 12/22/2011
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"