Babies: 0 - 3 Months
Options

Swollen tear duct in newborn?

My week old lo's right eye has been tearing up today and now looks a little swollen. I mentioned it to my lactation consultant at our appointment today but she said it was normal for the tear ducts to get clogged. Anyone else experience this? What should I do?

Re: Swollen tear duct in newborn?

• Options

One of ours had a blocked tear duct.  Be prepared...I went to lift him up one morning and it looked like pink eye.  His one eye was completely crusted shut, it was green and goopy, and looked disgusting.  I felt so bad for the little guy.  He was only a week or two old.

Our doc gave us some drops.  Because of the green, he thought that there could be infection in there.  We got his eye open with a warm wet wash cloth and we had to keep wiping every couple hours or so.  We used those drops until his eye cleared up, but we were told it could recur.

GL to you!

Lilypie First Birthday tickers
  • Options
    My son was prescribed eye drops and we were told to gently massage his tear duct when we notice drainage.
  • Loading the player...
  • Options
    imageJennyAnne022776:

Our doc gave us some drops.  Because of the green, he thought that there could be infection in there.  We got his eye open with a warm wet wash cloth and we had to keep wiping every couple hours or so.  We used those drops until his eye cleared up, but we were told it could recur.

GL to you!

Same for us. DD2 had green gook in both eyes. We started the drops on Tuesday, and by Thursday the gook was a more normal color and there was less of it.

It is very very common for newborns to have this, BTW. Nothing to worry about, just call the pedi so they can check things out if needed. 

Mama to two sweet girls
    DD1 Feb 2010
    DD2 Sept 2011

Pregnancy Ticker
  • Options
    I just squirted some BM in her eye and massaged along that side of her nose.  It cleared up in a few days.
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker 

• Options
    DS had this at about 1-2 weeks old.  I would wipe the goop out (inner eye to outer) with a warm washcloth(always using clean area of cloth each wipe).  You can also gently massage to inner eye are/near nose to help open it up.  It went away on its own within a few days :)

• Options
    DS had this very early on as well.  Check with your pedi to make sure it is not something more serious but if it is just a blocked tear duct then it is easy to fix. DS pedi told me to massage the tear duct with a warm wash cloth 3x a day until it resolved.  Did this for a week with no progress- I thought there was something seriously wrong!  His eye looked worse than before and the other was starting to clog.  Squirted some breastmilk into both eyes after a feeding one morning and they were both cleared by the next day.  GL!
    Lilypie First Birthday tickers
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"