Military Families
Options

DH re-enlisting... helpful websites for spouse?

Hi! I'm a regular over on the TTGP board. DH did his four years in the Marines before we got together, so I'm unfamiliar with... well everything. 

I'm excited and nervous at the same time. I know this will be a good thing for us, but I'm having trouble finding websites that show me what life will be like as a civilian on base/post and married to the military.  

He's considering the Army right now.  

What websites should I check out that might show me the reality of what I'm about to enter into?  

TIA!  

Lucky Cycle 13 image Can I get a bump? "If I had the chance I'd fight every single one of u *** dumpsters. All at once too and I'd take down every one of u wh***bags...screw the bump bunch of p***ies!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Chow on my @SS." - Roxianne17 "Would you like some tampons to go with your b*tchy posts?" - NickAndJess7

Re: DH re-enlisting... helpful websites for spouse?

• Options

Honestly my friend, there really are no websites to prepare you for military life. You just gotta get your feet wet. DH has been in for 13 years now and its been a crazy ride but I would NEVER trade it for anything.

The military is alot of uncertainty depending on his job, alot of hurry up and waits and ALOT of memories and a ton of pride!!!

Just try to be as open minded and flexible as you can in your journey to support your man!!

Once you get a base assignment it's easier to look up that specific base online.

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Options

You're right - I'm just such a planner (and I know this will go out the window in the Military). I'm very excited and proud of his decision. It's great to hear your experience has been good. 

:) 

Lucky Cycle 13 image Can I get a bump? "If I had the chance I'd fight every single one of u *** dumpsters. All at once too and I'd take down every one of u wh***bags...screw the bump bunch of p***ies!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Chow on my @SS." - Roxianne17 "Would you like some tampons to go with your b*tchy posts?" - NickAndJess7
  • Loading the player...
  • Options
    Hate to say it but there's no real website that helps. There's a book called "Married to the Military" that is helpful with tips like understanding pay and moving and the importance of a power of attorney, etc. That was a helpful prep for me, but nothing can prepare you for the real thing until you're in it. Trust me, I had 3 years before DH went active to prepare and I'm still learning things after being active for over a year. GL and don't be afraid to ask questions. Other wives have been there too and are usually willing to help.
    BabyFruit Ticker

PCOS--TTC since 11/2010:   
    5 cycles of Clomid: all BFN, 1 cycle of Follistim:CP
    1 year break thanks to deployment.
    1 cycle Follistim: BFN, Lap to remove peritubal cyst May 2013
    2 cycles Follistim + trigger: BFN, Gonal F +IUI April 2014: BFP!!!!!! 

Boy/Girl Twins due Jan 5, 2015!!! 

• Options
    I'm a total Type A planner too. Once you learn the military and what to somewhat expect you can plan around them and you'll be a pro at "beating the systems."
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Options
    There aren't a lot of websites I do find that armyonesource.com, cinchouse.com, and miltary.com are very helpful. Also try reading Married to the Military and there's a book called military handbook for dummies (I know the title sucks) but its a guide to military life, etiquette, and it informs you of paperwork that should be done. The ladies on this board are also very helpful. I have a lot of other info if you need it so feel free to pm me. Good Luck!!!!!
    DeterminedBaby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Options
    Thanks, ladies!  I'm sure I'll be hanging around here more in the future. I'll continue to lurk and might pop in now and then with a comment or two. 
  • Options

I would have him reconsider the move... From what I've heard (just like word of mouth) when you switch from Marines to Army you have a harder time picking up and such.

Then again I also heard that anyone that switches from Marines to Army qualifies as an

Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • Options
    Life with the military is fun. It can be stressful too. If he's switching over to Army, it should be better for your family. Marines and Navy aren't exactly family friendly. I was a military kid (Army & Air force) and then enlisted in the navy, so i've seen the difference. You'll get used to it eventually.
  • Options

imageGidgetGoesNavyWed127406:
    Life with the military is fun. It can be stressful too. If he's switching over to Army, it should be better for your family. Marines and Navy aren't exactly family friendly. I was a military kid (Army & Air force) and then enlisted in the navy, so i've seen the difference. You'll get used to it eventually.

Riiiight. Those fifteen month deployments from not that far back were super family friendly! 

OP - Every branch has its pros and cons. I'd actually be worried that he'd not get in, since prior service enlistments are very difficult at the moment. 

I've seen a lot of military surprise homecomings. It wouldn't work on me. I always have my back to the corner and my face to the door. Looking for terrorists, criminals, various other threats, and husbands.
  • Options
    imageWishIcouldbeinthe'stan:

imageGidgetGoesNavyWed127406:

Riiiight. Those fifteen month deployments from not that far back were super family friendly! 

OP - Every branch has its pros and cons. I'd actually be worried that he'd not get in, since prior service enlistments are very difficult at the moment. 

Seriously. I was also a AF brat (now married to the Army) and my father went on 6 mo deployments every year. My two brothers who are also in the AF deployed for a year while my H is deploying for only 9 months.

There's no comparison. Every job is different.
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • Options
    i have to agree with that. deployments are never fun, but you can live. that's the perfect opportunity for you to do something you normally wouldn't have. i looked at college classes, took my dogs to the park (where i met some of my best girlfriends), or even go visit some family. i took it as an opportunity for me to grow. believe me, being on the other side of the deployment isn't easy either. it's not fun not being able to see you family. i didn't even have access to a computer all the time. my poor hubby and i didn't get to talk for over five months. but we lived. we sent cheesy letters. (which i found he had kept every one.)
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"