Detroit Babies
Options

Breast Pump - Insurance

I recently found out that my insurance will cover a breast pump under durable medical supply coverage (with a prescription from my doctor). They should let me keep it an entire year. Does any one here have any experience renting a pump that way? Did you go through your hospital or a medical supply store? Was the pump good, and also portable? I will be delivering at RO Beaumont, so any recommendations for that area would be great. Or, do any of you think it's better to buy your own and if so, why?

Thanks!

Re: Breast Pump - Insurance

• Options

When my pump was covered through my insurance, I just got a prescription from my OB and gave it to the medical supply place in the hospital before I delivered.

I could not pick it up until after I delivered (my mom actually picked it up for me.)  It was a Medela PISA and I got to keep it.  That is a $300 pump.  If your insurance pays for it, don't pay for your own!  I BF for a year and that pump stayed with me that entire time.  I will also be using it with #2.

Let me know if you have any other questions.  Good luck!

imageimageLilypie First Birthday tickers Lilypie Fourth Birthday tickers Daisypath Anniversary tickers
  • Options
    imagejbaron:

When my pump was covered through my insurance, I just got a prescription from my OB and gave it to the medical supply place in the hospital before I delivered.

I could not pick it up until after I delivered (my mom actually picked it up for me.)  It was a Medela PISA and I got to keep it.  That is a $300 pump.  If your insurance pays for it, don't pay for your own!  I BF for a year and that pump stayed with me that entire time.  I will also be using it with #2.

This, except I only EPing till 4 month because of my DS's allergy, but it was SOOOO easy to get the pump.

DS has acid relux and milk protein allergy, and had torticollis, used to EP, now we FF . April siggy 3-6 month
    We're Finally Three imageLilypie First Birthday tickers
    Born 7lb, 15oz, 21-1/4, 2 mo - 12lbs, 14oz. 25", 3mo - 14lb, 4oz 26in , 4 mo - 16lb, 1oz, 26 3/4 in, 5 mo 18 lb, 4oz 27-3/4 in, 6 mo 28 3/4 in 19lb, 14oz
  • Loading the player...
  • Options
    imagejbaron:

Pretty much the same for me, except when I spoke to my doctor about a prescription she said that she couldn't give me one until after I delivered. So the day I checked out of the hospital she handed me a prescription and on the way home we stop at Binson and picked it up no problems. Mine was also the Medela PISA.

Lilypie Third Birthday tickers Lilypie First Birthday tickers
  • Options
    Ditto the pp's.  I did rent a pump from RO Beaumont for the first few weeks and it was great - it was a lot more effective than the Medela PISA that I ended up getting through my insurance. It was some other Medela style, but not as portable as the PISA or any of the other Medela's you can buy in a store.  I know the store in RO Beaumont that I rented it from said they don't deal with insurance companies. The woman told me that if the insurance company would cover a pump then I would have to go through a place like Binsons.  The hospital did give me a set of the pump parts with my rental that were mostly compatible with the PISA so I did have an extra set of parts.
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Options
    At Beaumont RO, you could go in a buy one and then submit the receipt to your insurance along with the script.  Or just go to Binson's and they will bill your insurance.  Are also saying that they would pay for you to rent one for a year?  I am confused, that doesn't sound right to me.  The hospital grade pumps are great, but they are not portable like a PISA.  My doctor gave me a script a few months before I delivered, so you might as well ask for one :)
  • Options
    Hi-saw this post and had a question: do you know what insurances cover the pump? Aetna, BCBS, Health Alliance?? Also, would my doctor offer this info it was covered, or not mention it because it isnt covered? Just need to know where to start asking! Thanks!
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"