Preemies
Options

umbilical hernia

Does anyone else's ds having one?  We only found out the other day that Owen has one.  We knew that he had an outie but not a umbilical hernia.  Any advice or comments?  Will it affect him later on in life?

BPF May 12, 2013 :: EDD Janaury 22, 2013 :: MC Began On July 14, 2013 at 12W4D

Born at 34w2d:

Lilypie Premature Baby tickers

Re: umbilical hernia

• Options
    Sophia has an umbilical hernia.  Her doctor told us that it shouldn't cause any problems and will likely go away on its own.  Over the past few months it has decreased in size significantly.  I believe it will be completely gone in another couple of months!!  
    Sophia Elizabeth born at 28 weeks, 6 days. Weighing 3lbs, 3oz and 15 1/8" long. SS Photography blue petti
    Lilypie Premature Baby tickers image
  • Options
    One of the nurses that saw our son said that she believes he may develop it but the doctors haven't said anything to me. I will ask my pediatrician next week as well. Like pp said, it should go away on its own. One nurse did tell me not to worry about it unless its been more than a year or so. HTH!
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • Loading the player...
  • Options
    My DD had one when we were discharged. It went away around 4 months. Our pedi said that unless it was causing problems or present after her first birthday, they wouldn't do anything about it. Its apparently pretty common and never caused any issues for us.
  • Options
    ds had one after he was discharged, it went away on its own around 5 months...his belly button now isn't a complete outtie, but, it definitely isn't an innie. No problems with it at all.
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker image noah joined us 10 weeks early.
  • Options

Yep! DD has one...although I notice it's decreased in size over the last month....light at the end of the tunnel?

Here's my blog post about it:

https://sweetoctoberrain.blogspot.com/2011/08/umbilical-hernia.html

BFP #1 via IUI ~ L (Fatal Birth Defect) 4/7/10
    BFP #2 via IUI ~ m/c
    BFP #3 via cancelled IUI ~ C (2lb 3oz; HELLP) 5/16/11
    BFP #4 via the natural (free!) way ~ E (8lb 11oz) 9/13/12

• Options
    DS had one too. They go away on their own, usually before 2 years old. Other than looking a little odd, its totally fine.
    Lilypie Premature Baby tickers
  • Options

Both of my kids have one. 

Andrew is 2 1/2 yrs and is his still pretty big.  We are told it is very very unlikely it will close at this point so we are planning on surgery in a couple of months to have it closed.  We had the surgery consult and it sounds like it's pretty easy/quick/routine/fast recovery.

Many of them do self-resolve.  We are hoping Elliott's self-resolves so he can avoid surgery.

They are pretty harmless, but the reason you eventually will close it if it doesn't close on its own is because there is a chance something could get stuck in it and result in an emergency surgery.  Also, for aesthetics.

It's dumb but I'm feeling guilty about having Andrew's fixed.  It's his comfort "thing".  

• Options

Lurker butting in :)

My DS had one.  It went away on its own....it was so long ago that I really don't remember how old he was when it went away but I want to say he was 1 or 2.  He is going to be 14 next weekend and he while he definitely has a little outtie belly button he has not had any issues whatsoever from the umbilical cord hernia.

Lemen99- My son would always play with his...lol.

• Options

Robbie had one that really didn't pop out until after he hit term. It was pretty large, but just started going away at 9 months actual and by 10 months, it was gone.

the surgeon (we had to see him for other reasons, but discussed that with him, too) was very unconcerned and said he doesn't usually seek to fix them unless they don't resolve by age FIVE. 

I thought it was gross (it squished!) but in the grand scheme of things, it was NBD.

• Options
    Luke also had an umbilical hernia and his resolved by 5 months. We also originially though he just had a really big outie, haha.
    Lilypie - Personal pictureLilypie Premature Baby tickers
  • Options
    DD had a moderate umbilical hernia. Her pedi said that it should go away on its own (as others have stated), but if it didn't by the time she was a year old, then we would discuss surgery. Thankfully, it was completely gone by the time she was 4 months old. Now, it's barely an innie and sometimes just looks flat. I was worried about how it would look after it went away, because I had zero experience with umbilical hernias (had never heard of it). But, it looks just fine!
    Lilypie Pregnancy tickers
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"