May 2011 Moms
Options

Need another perspective

I've read several books, talked to my pedi and talked with other moms.  That being said, I'm at a loss on how to solve JS's sleep issues.  He will STTN for 2 or 3 nights, then it's a week of up 3 or 4 times.  

He's not hungry.  He's eating plenty during the day and even our pedi agrees that he doesn't need a bottle at 12, 3, or 5.  Even when I was trying to feed him, he'd fall asleep after 1 oz or so.

I gave in and let him sleep on his belly once he was able to roll both ways.  We have a nightly routine and he goes to bed with no issues.   

I don't know how to get him to consistently STTN.  When  he wakes during the night we've tried soothing with the paci and patting the butt and we've tried 3, 5, & 8 minute intervals of CIO.  

Anybody have any ideas or suggestions?  I'm willing to try just about anything at this point.

ETA - When he wakes up it starts with a little grunting and whimpering, but turns into a full blown melt down in less than 2 minutes.  I'm okay with CIO to an extent, but not to the point where he's coughing and gagging because he's so upset.

Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml

Re: Need another perspective

• Options

Honestly, you HAVE to be consistent. You either stay consistent w/ the intervals or you continue to deal with the night wakings.  Also, have you tried pick up/put down? It's in Baby Whisperer and she goes more in depth in Baby Whisperer Solves All Your Problems. He may also be one of those babies that gets more worked up when you enter the room (which it sounds like)

Either hit the sleep training hard, and deal with the crying for a short time (I know, it sucks. I DO!) or keep dealing with the night wakings. 

And how much is he eating? Are his wakings the same every night? If they are the same, it's a habit, not hunger.  

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

• Options

He's taking between 25-30 oz during the day.  Before his last bottle of the night, he has solids and eats a good bit.  

I haven't tried pu/pd.  I hadn't heard of it until all the recent sleep posts.  I guess I need to add a new book to my collection.  

When he wakes it's usually around midnight and then again around 3.  I'm up at 5 for pumping before work, so I'm okay with him getting a bottle that early. 

• Loading the player...
  • Options

DD is still also up twice a night every night but she goes back to sleep very quickly after eating a little. She goes to sleep early around 8pm so not sure if that has something to do with it. The last two nights it's only been once before 5am so I'm crossing my fingers. I'm hoping she will grow out of it by 6 months.

It's hard but I've grown used to it. She recently moved to her crib 2 weeks ago so I can't expect change everywhere at the same time.

• Options
    imagebhilyer:

He's taking between 25-30 oz during the day.  Before his last bottle of the night, he has solids and eats a good bit.  

I haven't tried pu/pd.  I hadn't heard of it until all the recent sleep posts.  I guess I need to add a new book to my collection.  

When he wakes it's usually around midnight and then again around 3.  I'm up at 5 for pumping before work, so I'm okay with him getting a bottle that early. 

I'd try and stick with the intervals...like I said, it's all about consistency. I know how painful it is to hear those cries, but if you can stick with it, it's going to pay off. It sounds like he's getting a good amount of food in him, so I would try your hardest not to feed him, unless you suspect a growth spurt.

I also know your struggle with twins and MOTN crying (as I'm always mindful of the toddler sleeping in the next room)  I'm sure it's not easy! I have both of my kids on opposite sides of the upstairs and that helps a little. Are the boys in the same room? 

• Options

I am by no means a sleep expert, or even sort of knowledgeable on sleep.

Where does he sleep?  I've noticed that if Ben is in his crib or in bed with me he sleeps fine, but if he's in the pack and play he sleeps like crap.  The last time, he was up 4-5 times.  I thought he'd be happier in there when he outgrew the napper, but I was wrong. 

Is he waking up because he's rolling around  a lot or anything?

imageLilypie Second Birthday tickers image
  • Options
    imageLisa Frank:
    imagebhilyer:

. Are the boys in the same room?  

They are not in the same room yet.  JS came home in May and we moved him to his crib in June.  H didn't come home until the end of July and is still on oxygen, so he's in our room for now.

• Options
    imagealliejoe:

Where does he sleep?  

Is he waking up because he's rolling around  a lot or anything?

He's in his crib.  Has been for months.  He does roll sometimes, but can get back to his belly if he wants.  He's been unswaddled long enough that that is not the issue either. 

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"