May 2011 Moms

Ferber Question

So I have been one of the extremely lucky ones when it came to sleep training.  DD would wake up every time her binky fell out of her mouth. I took it away and DD literally cried for one day and then seemed to forget about her binky and was sleeping MUCH better. She fusses sometimes before a nap but it's not consistent at all. She's been going through the night all week now. I don't know if this went so well because I was just training her to not use her binky instead of having to actually train her to sleep in her own crib or without being rocked, etc.

Anyway, so now we are here a week later and of course DD fusses on occasion, but I'm not sure whether to still follow Ferber or the intervals. Like I never really got past day 2 of CIO because so many days would go between her fussing before going to sleep, that I was constantly just going back to day one for a nap here or there. 

If DD does fuss at this point would you just tend to her like you always used to, sort of assuming that the "training" period is over and perhaps something is bothering her? Or would you stick to short intervals? Or would you continue on to the longer intervals?

Re: Ferber Question

• If DD fusses, it's always for 5 minutes or less.  I can wait it out for five minutes, I'm not sure this is something she will "train" out of (does that make sense) or if she just sometimes wants to fuss before she falls asleep.  Like, I like to read a book or watch TV to fall asleep...maybe she needs to grunt and inchworm around her bed. :)
  • Tell me your definition of "fussing." :)

If she gets to the rage cry, then do intervals or do PU/PD. (read more about that method from the Baby Whisperer Solves All Your Problems)  If she is merely grunting like pook said, I'd leave her for the time you are comfortable with.  My DD can grunt/talk/groan etc for up to 10 minutes before falling asleep, but she always gets there!! 

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Loading the player...
  • imageLisa Frank:

Tell me your definition of "fussing." :)

If she gets to the rage cry, then do intervals or do PU/PD. (read more about that method from the Baby Whisperer Solves All Your Problems)  If she is merely grunting like pook said, I'd leave her for the time you are comfortable with.  My DD can grunt/talk/groan etc for up to 10 minutes before falling asleep, but she always gets there!! 

I haven't tried PU/PD because DD seems to get more worked up when I pick her up than when I just sooth her from the side.

Fussing can depend. Sometimes she is just sort of whining for a few minutes and I leave her alone. Other times she starts to escalate a bit and I've just been sort of going in there at random instead of following the intervals. 

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"