Military Families
Options

Questions on PCSing

What is the best way you have had your stuff packed? Should I go through and organize everything first?

Take pictures off the walls and put them all together, Take apart baby items and put all the little pieces together?

What are somethings you have done?

Also what are things that are not allowed to be taken with the movers so that I can put them aside for us to take in our car.

Thank you!!

Re: Questions on PCSing

• Options

Also what are things that are not allowed to be taken with the movers so that I can put them aside for us to take in our car. Check with the company that is packing you out for their specifics.

Take pictures off the walls and put them all together, Take apart baby items and put all the little pieces together? Yes- have everything ready to go when they arrive. They won't take things apart (except for furniture). If you want the nails packed, have them out of the walls. They are not going to organize anything for you. They packed water in my tea kettle one year and packed the bathroom trash this last move. Prep the house like morons are going to pack it, and you will be set.

Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • Options
    imageGreenFlamingo7:

Prep the house like morons are going to pack it, and you will be set.

Yes AWESOME!! Thanks!!!

• Loading the player...
  • Options

You can always go through the house and video tape everything just the way it is. I always take me jewlery and important documents with me no matter what.

Movers usually say they wont move candles but each mover is different.

I like to take things off the walls and put all my pictures in one area so I can set them all aside until I"m ready to hang them.

I always wash all my dishes and silverware and put them in XLARGE ziplocks so they are ready to take out and put away when we get there. You can order the Xlarge ziplocks online. They may have them at walmart but I was overseas on our last move. I also do this with clothes.

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Options
    imageGreenFlamingo7:

Prep the house like morons are going to pack it, and you will be set.

This! We always do DITY moves because of this. But when we moved OCONUS (and back again) that wasn't an option. I could write you a novel about all the stupid things that happened during both those moves. Just prep the best you can and then remember that "it's just stuff" on unpack day.

Side note: DEFINITELY take jewelry and and every important document with YOU! Also, most will not pack open liquids (think soaps, lotions, booze, etc.) We got around the lotions and candles thing by "hiding" them. But, we had to hold a party to get rid of the open drinks.

Lilypie First Birthday tickers Daisypath Anniversary tickers
    Image and video hosting by TinyPic
  • Options
    imageF15Wife:

I always wash all my dishes and silverware and put them in XLARGE ziplocks so they are ready to take out and put away when we get there.

You, my friend, are a genius! I never thought to do this. That will make my life so much easier and I won't have to run the dishwasher as much.

Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • Options
    LOL Not a Genius, just a product of too many military moves with serious OCD Type A issues.......Surprise
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Options

Open liquids! I had moved plenty of times before our PCS (only one we've been through) and never had a problem with moving liquor. They would not move it, and my H has a full bar and we have a wine collection, so it was an issue. We ended up having our car full to the brim since they refused to move it (even though, when I was unpacking our kitchen, I found that they packed dishwashing liquid and other stuff they said they wouldn't pack). Also, make sure they take EVERYTHING. They left behind a bunch of our sporting equipment, which also made the car really hard to pack. I thought I was organized, but I thought wrong :) I made a pile of do not take things in the living room and said to take everything else. In retrospect, I'd pack the car FIRST and then tell them to take EVERYTHING else with them.

I'd recommend also bringing sheets, towels, blankets, pillows and clothing with you, as well as some dishes, etc. And cleaning supplies to clean your house before the stuff gets there! We had our house already when we moved last time, and didn't want to spend more than one night in a hotel, yet they took over a week to deliver our goods (and that wasn't a cross country move, either, it was 6 hours away driving!)  After a lot of complaining, I got our stuff in 12 days, but they said they had up to another week or so to deliver it and there was nothing I could do. We had sheets and blankets and towels and dishes, so we just camped out in our house for a few days until our stuff finally came.

Make sure you're pushy, too, when they deliver your stuff. I wasn't, and they didn't unpack anything, we had to complain and get more people to come a week later to help us unpack. (our driver kept complaining about how he had had a deliver in Mexico and had to drive two days' straight becuase I complained about our delivery taking too long. Um, not my problem. Complain to your boss.) They're also total jerks and pick and choose what they want to do-- they took our TV off the stand, but said they couldn't put it back on; took our books off the shelves, said they couldn't put it back .But if you argue, you usually can get them to actually do their jobs. They get paid a flat fee by the military to do your move, which makes them pack your house as quickly and stupidly as they can, as has been mentioned, and unload the truck as quickly and stupidly as they can as well.

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"