May 2011 Moms
Options

Rolling over, sleeping & swaddling

"Someone" recently learned how to roll over from her back to her belly and thinks it's the coolest thing in the whole world.

Last night we swaddled her as usual and she slept all night (she's an excellent sleeper).  Pretty much every morning, she wakes up and just talks to herself, she never really cries.  Or she's grunting because she's trying to get her hands free so she can munch on them.  This morning was the same - I checked the video monitor and she's just moving her legs around in the swaddle.  I go to the bathroom and then go in her room to get her and she's face down (rolled over), and rooting on the mattress.

So, now that she can flip herself belly down while swaddled, is that an indication that we need to do away with it altogether, or are there some other options out there?

Re: Rolling over, sleeping & swaddling

• Options
    You need to let her arms out at the very least. If you want to keep swaddling her bottom half, that's okay too.  I prefer to ditch it completely when they start rolling because swaddling is a PITA :)
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

• Options

We stopped the swaddle when he got close to rolling.  It was good timing as LO is great at it now... which is why he was up grumbling every hour last night.  He's not good at tummy to back, so he got upset on his belly (but the first time he fell asleep there). 

I'm really hoping he's just testing out the waters and goes back to being a normal child soon. I'm TIRED. 

Good luck!  Some people do one arm out, then two as a transition, but we dropped it cold turkey and went to a sleep sack. 

imageimage
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Loading the player...
  • Options
    We have those sleep sacks that have the arms out...maybe we'll try those tonight.  Crossing my fingers that she still sleeps like a champ!
  • Options

imageRaquellyo:
    We have those sleep sacks that have the arms out...maybe we'll try those tonight.  Crossing my fingers that she still sleeps like a champ!

Prepare yourself for being up often the first few nights.  Then if you're not it will be amazing! 

imageimage
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Options

My DS just learned this "cool" trick as well :)  He was a good sleeper until his 3 month growth spurt (which was a month ago!).  Since he had recently been sleeping poorly even while swaddled, we decided to stop swaddling cold turkey after one morning when he rolled from back to tummy while swaddled.  Last night was night #2 with no swaddle, and we were up about 8 times instead of the 9 times the night before.  So things are looking up (do you like my positive spin on the situation?? lol).  

I don't have any advice yet, but I wanted to let you know you are not alone.  I really hope your little girl keeps up her great sleeping!! :) 

• Options

We gave it one more night of swaddling to see how she did, but she has had such a crappy cold (we both have it) that she was up coughing all night long and I got ZERO sleep.  Partly because I could hear her coughing, and partly because I was paranoid of her rolling over.

I feel like I jinxed myself yesterday by saying what a great sleeper she has been!  Crap crap crap.  We'll leave her arms out tonight...and DH can get 1am, 3am, 4am, 5:30am and 6am duty tonight because I have to travel for some project meetings tomorrow and I need to be awake!  Oy.

• Options
    imageRaquellyo:

We gave it one more night of swaddling to see how she did, but she has had such a crappy cold (we both have it) that she was up coughing all night long and I got ZERO sleep.  Partly because I could hear her coughing, and partly because I was paranoid of her rolling over.

I feel like I jinxed myself yesterday by saying what a great sleeper she has been!  Crap crap crap.  We'll leave her arms out tonight...and DH can get 1am, 3am, 4am, 5:30am and 6am duty tonight because I have to travel for some project meetings tomorrow and I need to be awake!  Oy.

I was waiting to hear about how your night went since we are in the same boat right now :)  But I am so sorry to hear it didn't go well and that you and your LO are sick!  Hope you get some rest tonight and feel better soon. 

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"