November 2011 Moms

Umm.. I think my lungs are making noise?

So this is really wierd I don't know how to describe it. Last night I noticed it for the first time......I was laying in bed with DH and realized every time I inhaled there was a noise coming from my left side where my rib cage is. I'm not sure how I should describe it but it's almost like a bubbly/popping noise. When I muted our TV, DH could hear it too from the other side of the bed! I'm sitting here with my dog and it started again and she is looking at my stomach all freaked lol. It doesn't hurt but is definitely very strange-- anyone have anything similar or know what this is?

Re: Umm.. I think my lungs are making noise?

• Obviously, without being able to listen to you with a stethoscope myself, I have NO IDEA.  However, my best guess is the noise was probably actually coming from your stomach.  At this point, especially when laying down, when you take a deep breath in, it's being compressed from the bottom by your baby and the top by your lungs.  It's full of fluid and partially digested food.  A gurgling/popping noise would not be unexpected.

Anything that would cause your lung or thoracic cavity to make an audible gurgling/popping noise would either be incredibly painful and/or significantly impair your breathing. It wouldn't be one of those "isn't this curious?" moments.  It would be one of those "call an ambulance I'm about to die" moments. So, I'm pretty sure you're fine :) However, I'm a BIG fan of calling your doctor with any questions. That's why they're there.  DOn't worry about felling silly or looking stupid. Getting off the phone feeling silly or thinking you look stupid is EXACTLY the outcome you want :)  Peace of mind in pregnancy is worth it's weight in gold.

• What your describing doesn't sound like any respiratory noises I am familiar with not really, but like PP said it is hard to tell without listening to you breath with my stethoscope.... :)

I would second the idea of calling your doctor.... Do you feel short of breath?  Any other symptoms?  

• Loading the player...
  • imageTMS1980:

What your describing doesn't sound like any respiratory noises I am familiar with not really, but like PP said it is hard to tell without listening to you breath with my stethoscope.... :)

I would second the idea of calling your doctor.... Do you feel short of breath?  Any other symptoms?  

I have had shortness of breath over the past month or so.... but all relatively normal. I am thinking of calling the doctor but I guess my only issue is that it's not consistent-- like right now it's stopped. I guess it has to do with my positioning. 

• imagemama&baby:
    imageTMS1980:

What your describing doesn't sound like any respiratory noises I am familiar with not really, but like PP said it is hard to tell without listening to you breath with my stethoscope.... :)

I have had shortness of breath over the past month or so.... but all relatively normal. I am thinking of calling the doctor but I guess my only issue is that it's not consistent-- like right now it's stopped. I guess it has to do with my positioning. 

You could try propping yourself up in bed on more pillows... When you lay flat it is harder for your lungs to inflate normally, now add in less space to inflate d/t pregnancy  and it can get difficult your body.  Have you mentioned the shortness of breath to your doctor at all?  I would definitely let them know about this.   It is important for the baby to get as much O2 as possible... You too of course!  :P 

• I had something similar right after my DD was born. I had lots of fluid retention and ended up with fluid in my lungs. Definitly have if checked out.
    siggy should be here!
  • I'm having this. My baby is transverse (lying sideways) and her calves push up against my diaphragm under my right lung. I feel the bubbling feeling at times on the right. I've only actually heard it make noise once. I'm breathing fine, so I just chalked it up to the baby's position.
    DD born 11/20/11
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"