School-Aged Children
Options

Do you participate in the PTA?

I'd like to do it, just wondering how much time it will take.
Mom to two little ones! Helping moms be home with their little ones! http://www.UnitedAtHomeTeam.com

Re: Do you participate in the PTA?

• Options
    I just went to the first meeting last night!  I volunteered for field day last year and that was it, besides volunteering in DS's class a few times.  I'm going to be planning a literacy day program this year since our librarian is now PT.  I chose something that wasn't going to take too much work, but would help out.  I think you can be as involved as you want to be.
    DS1 age 7, DD age 5 and DS2 born 4/3/12
  • Options
    I am currently a board member of our PTA.  I definitely recommend participating in any way you can.  Many people people confuse joining the PTA with volunteering.  Obviously parents who volunteer are generally PTA members, but volunteering is not a requirement of joining the PTA.   
  • Loading the player...
  • Options
    I just joined and will volunteer when and if I can.  For me I thought it would provide me with more info on what is going on.
  • Options

I started participating in PTO last year and love it. They don't expect that you will volunteer for everything, but they appreciate anything you can do. Something as little as baking brownies for a bake sale helps out! Plus it really gives you a chance to meet other moms and have a little more "insider" info on the school and teachers!

• Options
    Your level of participation in the PTA varies- and is what you decide!  This is my first year on the Parent side- I have been a teacher for 15 years.  So far I have gone to one PTA meeting but I am room parent so that will take alot of my time.
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Options

imageErina1004:
    I am currently a board member of our PTA.  I definitely recommend participating in any way you can.  Many people people confuse joining the PTA with volunteering.  Obviously parents who volunteer are generally PTA members, but volunteering is not a requirement of joining the PTA.   

Good point - being a member is not the same as being a volunteer. Our school aims for 100% participation in the PTA. All that means is that 1 member of the child's family signs up for PTA membership ($15 single or $20 for 2 adults). The membership $ provides necessary funding for many of the school's programs, including classic book club, art instruction in every class, science club, popcorn Friday, ice cream party and several other educational opportunities and social events for the kids. I hope everyone contributes, but they have not seen 100% yet.

I have always volunteered. I have volunteered for social events for several years. I've also volunteered for their art docent program. This year, I am a co-chair. It is a voting position. That part is new to me. My role requires that I'm available during school hours a few days a month, a few evening PTA meetings a few evening events, and one Saturday for a district training per year.

My suggestion would be for everyone to join their PTA. It is the smallest and simplest step you can take in being involved. If nothing else, pay a few dollars to join and support your school. Read their newsletters. See what opportunities they have. See if any of them match your interests and availability.

If you are able to commit to more, excellent!

Newlyweds since 2007
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"