Military Families
Options

PCSing to Oki

My husband is a Marine and is stationed in Okinawa. We(my 7month old and I) are getting paperwork to get to go over there as well. We are waiting for an official date but papers have been approved, regular passports have been received, and I have gotten the anti-terrorism certificate. He said there may not be much time before we leave once we get our date and flight. Any suggestions on what I should be doing now while we are waiting.
I'm not sure how such a long flight is going to go with the baby. I dont even know how I will be able to prepare for so many bottles etc. How will I even be able to board with his formula?
Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker image image

Re: PCSing to Oki

• Options

Okinawa is awesome! It's so beautiful here, and if you know where to look, there's a lot to do! My DH is a Marine stationed here as well. Let me know if you have any questions about housing or the bases or anything like that. :) I've lived here for a total of 8 years now, 7 as an AF brat, and 1 as a Marine wife.

I've never traveled with a baby before, but honestly, from moving with my little brothers, you're going at just about the perfect time! My mom says it's much easier to fly with a child before they're weaned. For bottles, they usually have available a hot water machine on the plane if you need it, so mostly you'll just need to bring bottles. Formula shouldn't count toward your limit of liquids, either.

As far as how to prepare, you seem like you're on your way. Passports and the anti-terrorism certificate are most of what you need. Does your husband have your Area Clearance paperwork back yet? That's the main thing my friends have had problems with- if you get out here without it it's not a huge problem, but it's a pain in the butt.  Putting together an accordion file folder of all our important documents was a HUGE lifesaver for the first few weeks out here, you'll be asked for copies of orders, area clearance, passports, birth/marriage certificates a lot!

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Options
    Not sure about the area clearance. I guess I'm just stressing. Don't want anything to come up that takes awhile and ends up holding us up. 
  • Loading the player...
  • Options
    I just flew 6hrs with my 5 mon old and formula and baby food were not issues at security.
  • Options
    It would be worth asking your husband about the area clearance, but if his command has approved you guys to come out there, you probably already have it. If not, as long as his command is aware you're coming, it won't be a problem to get it taken care of, it's just one more thing that would be nice to have done in advance. Don't stress too much about it, these things generally work out just fine in the end. :)
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Options
    Thanks, maybe some reassurance is all I needed to know I'm on the right track. 
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"