Babies: 0 - 3 Months
Options

More spit up now on Zantac

So my DS was just put on Zantac for reflux - we believe it was silent reflux as he wasn't spitting up alot.  We would burp during/after feeding him, but he would burp about 30 min after feeding and i could hear it was wet, but then nothing would come up and it sounded like he was swallowing it...he would then start to cry and pull his legs up.  :(

Well now when we burp him, he's spitting up alot more than before.  Is this normal?  I'm wondering if its easier for him to get up than it was prior to being on the Zantac.  I don't mind the spit up as i'd rather him get it out than swallow it, but just wondering if anyone else experienced this.

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

Re: More spit up now on Zantac

• Options

I can't answer this but my son just started Zantac yesterday and he has silent reflux.  I'm very curious to hear the answers! 

I am pretty sure that Zantac doesn't prevent things from coming up, it just prevents the burn when it does.  So maybe he doesn't feel it as much when it comes up and that's why he ends up spitting it up?  Just thinking out loud....

• Options
    The same thing happened to my little girl. She never spit up before Zantac and now she is on it, she was spitting up all the time. We switched her to Soy Formula and now she never spits up at all. My ped told me some babies with their formula have a sorta reaction to Zantac which causes them to spit up more. Good Luck
  • Loading the player...
  • Options
    My son was diagnosed with reflux a week ago.  My pedi prescribed 1ml of Zantac and I think he's gotten worse on the medication.  He scrunches up his body, grunts, squirms, chokes, gags and spits up curdled BM.  Our pedi now prescribed Prilosec along with the Zantac...I havent started it yet, but plan to today.  Im also doing the Elimination Diet to determine if there is a milk protein intolerance. 
    Image and video hosting by TinyPic Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Options
    My daughter, 10 weeks old, has been on Zantac for almost a month. She's always had terrible spit-up, but it seems to have gotten worse. I'm not sure if it's because of Zantac, her reflux could just be getting more severe and the Zantac just isn't helping...I'm not sure. I go back to the doctor soon, so we'll see what happens.
  • Options
    DD had the same problem but I didn't do anything about it till there was TONS of spit up.... I don't believe it's the Zantac, if they weren't on it they would be screaming in pain. That's how we were, I was in denial DD had it wish I didn't wait so long. Wondering why she was so good then started with the silent reflux then constant spit up now matter how long I keep her sitting up :(
  • Options
    My LO is spitting up a lot more now also. However when I went for his 1 month appt I was asking about him swallowing all of his spit up and the pedi said around 2 months the spit up would be coming up a ton more. So maybe its just an age thing? I dont know for sure...however I dont feel like the Zantac is helping him much :( And I worry about him aspirating especially since he already has apnea :(
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • Options
    I used Zantac for two of my sons.  It worked for my middle son great, but for my youngest his reflux was being caused by his milk intolerance.  He had silent reflux, where he didn't hardly spit up but he had terrible nasal congestion.  It could also be that your LO's reflux just happened to worsen at the same time you started medicine, YKWIM? 

But it doesn't hurt to try eliminating dairy from your LO's diet to see if it helps the reflux.  If you're BFing you would need to eliminate all dairy from your diet, that means obvious like milk, yogurt, cheese, etc, and hidden dairy like casein and whey that is found in may prepackaged foods, breads, and bakery items.  Lo's can still react to the hidden proteins so it's important you eliminate those as well.
    If you're FFing you should ask your doctor about trying a hydrolysate formula, like Alimentum or Nutramigen.  Hydrolysate formulas are still milk based upt they are contain partially broken down protein chains making it easier for your LO to digest. 

Good luck and I hope your LO nstarts feeling better soon :)
    Rachel Mom to 3 boys Augustboy02 - Sensational Sensory Kid Decemberboy04 -former reflux baby Augustboy10 - MFPI baby
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"