C-sections
Options

? for moms who've already had a c-sec

This board couldn't have come at a better time for me.  I'm 31w 3d and it looks like my baby is still breech.  I'm starting to think she's comfortable this way.  I've had 2 kids, both vaginally, and the 2 moms I know who've had a c-sec are either numb from it or have a LOT of pain in their scar.  I was just wondering if every c-sec turns out this way.  I just don't want to be scared if I do have to go into the operating room instead of the delivery room.  TIA
My name is Julie. I'm a SAHM mom of 2 and married for 7 yrs! Missing my Angel Babies- 7/29/08, 10/11/10 both at 9 weeks. Another baby girl due in October 2011! BabyFruit Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

Re: ? for moms who've already had a c-sec

• Options
    My experience was a good one.  I'm still a little numb right where my scar is, but I healed really quickly.
    Photobucket Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Image and video hosting by TinyPic
  • Options
    I healed fine. I don't have lingering pain or numbness at 4 months post-partum. Good luck!
    It took 5 failed IUIs and a failed IVF, but our FET worked!
    My pregnancy after Infertility Blog
    Our baby girl was born on April 27, 2011!
  • Loading the player...
  • Options
    I healed fine as well. I still have some numbness where the scar is but no pain.
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • Options
    I still have some numbness but no pain whatsoever. Once I was healed I never had any problems.
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Options
    FwIW, your LO could still turn. My Izzy turned after 31 weeks. My C scar is still numb but it doesn't bother me, but ido have twinges every now and then but they aren't painful. Good luck! (my c-section was an emergency btw)
    "Seriously, mommy forum people are some crazy ass bitches." New Year New You
  • Options

imagecoasties_girl:
    I still have some numbness but no pain whatsoever. Once I was healed I never had any problems.

This exactly. Good luck!

• Options

imagecoasties_girl:

Ditto.  The longer it is, the more feeling comes back.  Sometimes, now that I'm pregnant and stretching again, it itches.  That's probably totally normal though.

• Options

Thank you so much everyone.  I think, for now, I can maybe put this worry on the back burner.  And congratulations on all your beautiful babies.  :)  

(I hope she turns around, but I'm trying to stay realistic and aware of all my possibilities.)

My name is Julie. I'm a SAHM mom of 2 and married for 7 yrs! Missing my Angel Babies- 7/29/08, 10/11/10 both at 9 weeks. Another baby girl due in October 2011! BabyFruit Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Options
    I only have a little bit of numbness over my scar now and every once in awhile, I get a pins/needles feeling if I itch around the scar  but its not a horrible feeling. It takes awhile for things to get better.

Pregnancy Ticker

Follow Me on Pinterest
  • Options

imageJ+MS:
    FwIW, your LO could still turn. My Izzy turned after 31 weeks. My C scar is still numb but it doesn't bother me, but ido have twinges every now and then but they aren't painful. Good luck! (my c-section was an emergency btw)

This exactly.  When I got pg with DD2, the twinges occurred more often, but they still were not painful.  Even now (with two c/s done) it is not painful. Sometimes this time around I feel a quick pinch along the scar, but its not painful just uncomfortable.

The longer it has been since the surgery the better.  The pain fades, the twinges become more sporadic. 

GL - I hope she turns!!

• Options
    I have some mild numbness in the middle of the scar but absolutely no pain now. I healed very quick and well. I have a midwife and a doc actually comment on how well the scar healed up. I actually had to show the midwife where it was b/c she didn't even see it.
  • Options
    I had a great experience. It was an emergency Csection after induction wasn't going well. They had her out less than 5 min of beginning to cut. I was stapled up and in the room with LO and family with in an hour of giving birth. The next morning getting up was a little painful but once I started moving it really wasn't too bad. I had LO thurs morning and left the hospital on Saturday morning. I only took extra strength Ibuprofen and I didn't even go through my entire prescription. The pain just really wasn't bad. My staples kinda started coming out on their own so OB had me come back two days early and took them out. I have not had any issues since.
  • Options
    I still have slight numbness near the scar (1 1/2 years later) but no pain at all, that ended completely at around 6 weeks PP for me. Honestly my c-section was not a bad experience but I have some emotional baggage that stems from others getting to see and hold the baby before me. If some of that stuff hadn't have happened I would do it all over again! Trying for a VBAC this time around though! And like a PP said, baby still has time to turn! I had a friend who's DD was breech all the way up to the day of her section and when they did an ultrasound on the day to see if she was still breech she had turned head down! Good luck either way though!!
  • Options
    Very mild numbness that I don't even notice  unless I apply pressure. No pain whatsoever.
    Our sweet girl is 3!

Lilypie - (R7Ux)

• Options
    The numbness around my scar seems to come and go. Some days I feel it while other days it feels completely normal. I do notice it if I have an itch between my scar and belly button, but it is nothing that bothers me a whole lot. As far as pain, I notice twinges every once in a while but nothing that requires anything.
  • Options
    By about 10 months PP my numbness was gone, and it doesn't hurt nowadays.  GL and hopefully your baby turns!
  • Options
    I feel very fortunate because my recovery was very easy and 2.5 months pp I don't have any pain or numbness.  In fact, I never had numbness. 
    BabyFetus Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Options
    Your baby still has plenty of time to flip.  I went for weekly BPP's and she was always breech, then at 35 weeks she flipped.  But, it's good to prepare.  You first have incisional pain from the surgery, this lasted about 1-1.5 months for me, that is the most painful part...just recovering from the surgery.  Once it's healed and the nerves grow back, you occasionally feel small twinges of pain, numbness and tingling.
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Options

At 17 months out, my scar is not numb and it gives me zero pain. It was a tough recovery at first, but my scar is small, very low, and even though I am prone to keloid scarring, it has faded nicely and is starting to blend completely into my skin on the edges. 

Your DD has plenty of time to flip, but I think you're good to start getting mentally prepared. Mine was breech from 30 weeks and never turned on her own no matter what I did. I talked to my OB a LOT about c/s, even though the whole time I was hoping to avoid one.

I had a vaginal birth with my first, and then a breech baby c/s. The c/s birth was still special and joyful, even though it was very different from the birth of my first. Talk to your OB, find out about standard procedures so you know what to expect, and whether you have special requests that can be accommodated in the OR or recovery. I was very anxious prior to the c/s, but the fears were unfounded and I was very glad that they didn't take away from me enjoying the birth of my DD2. 

DD1, 1/5/2008 ~~~ DD2, 3/17/2010
  • Options
    Great c section experience here...it's been 17 months and I still can't feel the actual line of the scar, but it's not like thats a big deal at all. Never had any pain though from the scar.
    BabyFruit Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Anniversary
  • Options
    I was numb for a month or two. I think it takes a little while for the nerve to repair themselves, but my stomach is feeling normal again (I had my c/s about four months ago).
  • Options
    I had a great recovery. Wonderful actually. It was rough at first, obviously, but by 3 weeks I felt almost as good as new Big Smile 
  • Options
    my c was TEN YEARS ago! Wow... that being said. My scar is totally tiny no numbness. I was an ER c-section so really didnt have a choice. I can tell you the only real thing that comes to mind was the GAS pain afterward (which can happen in either natural or C). The recovery was fine. After reading things about the natural delivery i think C might be the easy way. Good luck!!
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker imageimageimageimage
  • Options

imagecoasties_girl:

This.

• Options
    I had a planned c-section due to a breech baby.  My surgery went without a hitch and my recovery was as easy as can be asked for.  I have no issues with my scar and minimal numbness a year out.  Don't be scared!
  • Options

imageJ+MS:

The bolded part is my story also

photo 8171fa67-0749-444f-93ec-78250e104e5f_zps37aefc95.jpg

• Options

My incision healed pretty quickly and the majority f the pain was gone by 2-3 months. However, I am still numb from just about below my belly button down to the incision itself.  I still get sharp pains in that area sometimes as well, but my doctor said that is a good sign. The incision still gets sore when I wear jeans or underwear that rub on it for too long.

Obviously everyone heals differently, but you are in a beter position knowing ahead of time what to expect. A C/S was the LAST thing I wanted and I never thought I would need one so I did absolutely ZERO research on C/S's. I wish I would have been more prepared and had more of an understanding of what the recovery would be. GL!

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Pregnancy Ticker
  • Options
    I'm still a little bit numb right where the scar is, but nothing painful.  I was surprised at how quick and easy the recovery was.  Just make sure you get up and walk as soon as they will let you.  It will hurt at first,  but it will make things go faster.  Also, don't refuse the pain meds.  I took the motrin for about a week after.
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Options
    The user and all related content has been deleted.
  • Options

I have one child and DS was found to be breech at 39week appt; opted to have C-section.  The recovery really wasn't bad in my experience; the worst part was the itchiness at the incision that I experienced from the healing, stitches, etc.  I had some very mild numbness in lower back area for a little while after the section (like couple weeks) but nothing that worried me.  I have NO pain in the scar area and no residual numbness at this point (my DS is 19mos. old).  I was out walking for exercise at approx. 3 weeks and very eager to jog again after I got the go ahead to do so around like 8 (?) weeks post-surgery.

I had the c-section on a Friday at 5pm and was discharged from the hospital by Sunday around noon.  My pain was managed and I didn't even need to use much of the pain med that was prescribed for me after discharge.  I don't remember any pain or anything getting in the way of breastfeeding, etc.  Only laughing and getting up in to my bed that is kind of high off the floor made me notice I'd had abdominal surgery those first few weeks.

• Options
    I have some numbness and the incision area is still a little tight when I stretch. The scar is very small, though, and is fading quickly.
    imageimageimage

Pregnancy Ticker
  • Options
    For me it's been over 2 years and I still have a tiny bit of numbness right over the scar, but I never notice it unless something pushes directly on it or rubs it for a long time. It's not that uncomfortable at all. Now that I am pregnant again it has become sensitive again, but nothing super painful.
  • Options
    My incision healed perfectly, no pain whatsoever. It is slightly numb, even still.
  • Options
    no pain in my scar and only 1 area with "numbness" but Dr. says it takes some months for the nerves to reconnect.
    Hi, I'm Amanda :)

Remembering Evelyn and raising Bailey
    Evelyn Born at 24wks 6days on May 22, 2010 due to pre-e Passed away May 25, 2010

BFP# 2 Delivered 6wks early due to preeclampsia
    Lilypie Premature Baby tickers
    Photobucket

• Options
    I've had 2 c/s - no pain, no lingering numbness here.
    Caleb.02.01.08 | Asher.07.06.09 | Jude.01.19.12
    Image and video hosting by TinyPic

Lilypie Fifth Birthday tickers Lilypie Fourth Birthday tickers
    Lilypie First Birthday tickers

Mama Jan's Kitchen... a food blog
    Follow Me on Pinterest
  • Options
    I had no lingering pain or numbness from my c/s, aside from the usual period of healing.  I labored for several hours before my c/s and I felt like my recovery was pretty easy.
    DD born 10/10/07 * DS born 11/25/11 * #3 due 3/9/2015
  • Options
    I'm not quite a month out. My incision is ok, maybe a touch numb. The skin surrounding the incision is hypersensitive, though. It is getting better, but it was rather annoying!
  • Options
    Wow, thank you so much everyone.  You've really helped to ease some of my fears.  I obviously just want to deliver a healthy baby.  It doesn't really matter that much how she's delivered.  Just the safest way possible.
  • Options

not everyone has difficulties...but i had a very bad recovery from my c-section. 

in fact my dr believes i am unable to conceive because of my c-section.

~after 34 cycles we finally got our 2nd little bundle of joy~
    My IF blog

Image and video hosting by TinyPic

• Options
    no numbness here whatsoever or scar pain
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker image image image image
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards