1st Trimester
Options

Blood test to determine gender of baby

I am seriously considering having the blood test done that can determine the gender of the baby at 7 weeks. I would wait until my first appointment to have it done so I would be 9 weeks along. Has any one had any experience with this blood test or know any one who has? 
Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

Re: Blood test to determine gender of baby

• Options

An acquaintance of ours did the blood test with their second, and it revealed that they were having a boy. The father was thrilled, they went out got the bedding, etc. and he was on cloud 9. At the 20 week ultrasound, they found out that 'he' was a she and they were devastated. He seriously was a wreck (extreme, yes) The ultrasound tech voiced her dislike of the test, as there is a small margin of error. (this was several years ago, so they may have improved it since then)...but I wouldn't make any major decisions until you know for sure! It would be fun to see if it is right though :) GL!

• Options
    I heard about that on the news about a month ago but wasn't aware it was available already.  They FDA was worried it would bring about a huge wave of gender selection and increased abortions.  If I was already having blood work, I'd do it.  Then I would know far enough in advance to shop clearance clothind at the end of the seasons!
    Anniversary Daisypath Happy Birthday tickers
    Lilypie First Birthday tickers
    Lilypie Pregnancy tickers
    PitaPata Dog tickers PitaPata Dog tickers

~Started TTC 2/09. BFP #1 11/09. EDD 8/7/10. DS born 8/7/10.~
    ~Surprise BFP #2 5/11 while still BF'ing. Natural M/C @ 7w3d.~
    ~BFP #3 8/11. EDD 4/24/12. Heavy bleeding episodes from a lost twin. DD born 4/14/12.~
    ~Started TTC 2/13. BFP #4 3/13. EDD 11/8/13. Hoping for smooth sailing!~
  • Loading the player...
  • Options
    It is not that I have to know just that I am not a very patient person when it comes to waiting to find out things like this. 
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Options
    I have read about it a friend of mine said you can get it in California and its supposed to be 90% which are damn good odds.. If it was easy to find I would do it, I dont have to know just like I dont have to know at 20, But I sure as hell would want to know now if I could!  I am so excited to shop for my lil bean and so much depends on the sex of baby!
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Options
    I didn't think it was available in the US yes 
                                                                                   4.24.12                                                                            5.7.14
                  imageImage and video hosting by TinyPic

Baby #2 Chart

BabyFetus Ticker

imageimageimageimage

• Options

imageLeah&Jack:
    I guess I missed the memo that there was a blood test in the first trimester for sex. Why do you have to know so early anyway?

Yeah, I guess you DID miss the memo, because the "Jack and Jill" test is becoming more and more available from doctor's offices (mostly in Texas right now, but steadily spreading through the U.S.).  They take the blood when they draw during your first pre-natal exam.  She didn't say she HAS to know so early. She simply asked a question.  And if a MTB wants to know the sex of her baby, no matter what stage gestation she's at, it's OK.  I didn't find out until 16 weeks, but would I have found out at 7 or 8 weeks if it had been available?  Probably.  If you're not "team green", then what does it matter when you find out?

Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • Options
    imageCranang:

imageLeah&Jack:
    I guess I missed the memo that there was a blood test in the first trimester for sex. Why do you have to know so early anyway?

Yeah, I guess you DID miss the memo, because the "Jack and Jill" test is becoming more and more available from doctor's offices (mostly in Texas right now, but steadily spreading through the U.S.).  They take the blood when they draw during your first pre-natal exam.  She didn't say she HAS to know so early. She simply asked a question.  And if a MTB wants to know the sex of her baby, no matter what stage gestation she's at, it's OK.  I didn't find out until 16 weeks, but would I have found out at 7 or 8 weeks if it had been available?  Probably.  If you're not "team green", then what does it matter when you find out?

I agree. I see no differencec between finding out at week 7 and finding out at week 20. Knowing is knowing. I didn't think the test was available yet, but if my doctor offered it to me, I would def find out.

4.24.12                                                                            5.7.14
                  imageImage and video hosting by TinyPic

Baby #2 Chart

BabyFetus Ticker

imageimageimageimage

• Options
    imageTrendyTina:
    imageCranang:

imageLeah&Jack:

I agree. I see no differencec between finding out at week 7 and finding out at week 20. Knowing is knowing. I didn't think the test was available yet, but if my doctor offered it to me, I would def find out.

The difference in knowing is that at 7 weeks if you don't like the sex, you can have an abortion, but can't at 20 weeks.  I think the FDA is correct in thinking this can lead to sex selection.  It's been rampant in Asia for years because of late term abortions.  I can see wanting to know for curiosity, but I am afraid it will be abused. 

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"