Breastfeeding
Options

low supply & pumping?

I had a c/s 5 days ago. My milk was "slow" to come in and because my LO lost 11% of her body weight, we had to start supplementing with formula. We're using a system that allows her to receive formula while breastfeeding, so at least she's still stimulating my production.

At the pedi today, the dr told me it was very unlikely I would be able to breastfeed because my supply should be fully in, that my breasts should be larger/engorged at this point. I'm devastated and hesitant to give up on breast feeding.

The LC at the hospital had told me to nurse with the formula then pump for 15 minutes. When doing this, nearly no milk comes out, but there is some there. After a long night last night (of nearly constant "feeding" or suckling) I haven't pumped in almost 24 hours, but the pedi told me it was a waste of time in regard to developing my supply.

I need to consult again with an LC, but any advice/recommendations in terms  of whether or not to continue pumping or any way to increase my supply? TIA

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker BabyFruit Ticker

Re: low supply & pumping?

• Options

First, congratulations on your new baby!  Keep pumping after BFing to see if your supply will increase.  I'm not an LC but I would nurse (w/o the formula) for at least 10 minutes on each side, then offer the formula, then pump for 15 minutes.  I know that sounds like a lot but the more she's on the boob, the more milk you'll make.  Also know that she doesn't need very much milk at this age.  Oh and since you are BFing THEN pumping you wont get very much milk when pumping because she already got BM through BFing.  

Don't listen to your pedi.  Listen to the LC - she will work with you. 

Lilypie Third Birthday tickersLilypie Second Birthday tickersLilypie Pregnancy tickers
  • Options
    imageQmommy:

First, congratulations on your new baby!  Keep pumping after BFing to see if your supply will increase.  I'm not an LC but I would nurse (w/o the formula) for at least 10 minutes on each side, then offer the formula, then pump for 15 minutes.  I know that sounds like a lot but the more she's on the boob, the more milk you'll make.  Also know that she doesn't need very much milk at this age.  Oh and since you are BFing THEN pumping you wont get very much milk when pumping because she already got BM through BFing.  

Don't listen to your pedi.  Listen to the LC - she will work with you. 

I agree with all of this. I think my supply didn't come in until day 5 or 6. It seems really soon to give up. Just keep trying, hopefully your body will catch on soon.

• Loading the player...
  • Options
    Agree with pp.  Don't listen to the pedi.  Talk to another LC for help. with csections, milk can take longer to come in.  Also, the pump is not as efficient as a baby.  Keep trying.  It will get better.  Definitely contact an LC or someone at LLL for support. 
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

• Options

Compressions/massage while pumping (see link)

https://newborns.stanford.edu/Breastfeeding/MaxProduction.html

My milk came in on day 13, (after working hard with an LC, doing everything under the sun, and then it was a low supply only to find out later caused by retained placenta) but my LC told me that it can take up to 14 days for some women's milk to come in. And a good LC can tell by your pumped milk if its colostrum, transition milk or if your milks in but a low supply. And after a good 2 month battle to up my supply if went on to EBF until 13 months (and weaned at 16 months)

Here are my tips/what i did:

-pump after every nursing, for a min of 20 min ( i did 10 min massage one side (ok at the beginning i made DH massage b/c i could figure out how to do this without a hands free bra) and then switch and massage the other side for 10 min. Then hand express afterwards. Do all of this even if you get next to nothing out.

-Do the above every 2 hours start to start day and night (even if you only get 80 min of "down time" (You can put pump parts in a container in the fridge so you are not constantly washing)

-rest, high fiber diet, rest, water, talk to your dr about reglan, rest...

-Find an LC (mine where free through my hospital)

-I also had a "sleeply" baby who i had to wake for food. (and undress, tickle feet..) but also doing the football hold and massaging/pushing down the milk to LO's mouth helps

-if you have to bottle feed, get a wide mouth bottle so LO's latch doesnt become lazy.

Lilypie Third Birthday tickers Lilypie First Birthday tickers
  • Options
    Thank you SO MUCH for your responses and encouragement. I was seeing nothing from pumping and getting more down. I'll definitely try everything recommended and speak to an LC again. Thanks! :)
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker BabyFruit Ticker
  • Options
    I would also say it's much too soon to give up.  I wanted to add that my pedi basically said the same thing.  We're now 5 weeks out.  We've been supplementing almost the entire time (we had our LO at 36 weeks with a few "issues").  I eventually started taking Domperidone (an alternative to using Reglan, which has some nasty side effects).  The Dom started working right away to incrase my supply.  It's still not a full supply, but we're having to supplement much less.  Keep working with your LC if it is what you desire.  Also know that if you have to supplement, or even stop pumping...you might feel terrible (I can't seem to let go of breastfeeding) but it's okay.  My LC's (I actually see two!)  are great.  Hope yours are too!
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"