Breastfeeding
Options

XP: First day back at work, DS only drank 5.5 oz!!

(XP on Working Moms board)

Today was my first day back at work and DS only ate 5.5 oz (pumped BM) in the 8 hours I was gone! He was with my mom today, but will start daycare next week. 

I nursed him at 5 am. 

He was dropped off to my mom's house at 6:30 am. 

Drank 3 oz. at 8 am. 

Drank 2.5 oz at 1 pm. 

I got to her house at 2:30 and nursed him right away, he emptied BOTH my breasts and nursed for a while. 

My mom said he seemed very happy and content all day and barely fussed. Napped like he normally does. He just wasn't interested in eating any more. She said she offered the bottle every half hour or so and he just wasn't interested (except at 8 am and 1 pm). 

Is this ok? He's been nursing a lot this afternoon since I got home. As long as he gets his 24 oz. or so in a 24 hour period and gains weight, does it matter that he goes this long stretch without eating a lot? 

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

Re: XP: First day back at work, DS only drank 5.5 oz!!

• Options
    imagelindsay.lou:

I got to her house at 2:30 and nursed him right away, he emptied BOTH my breasts and nursed for a while.

I should add, this is unusual for him. He typically empties whatever breast I start on, and then just nibbles on the other side for a few minutes. He very rarely completely empties both breasts in one feeding.  So he definitely did a HUGE feeding (for him) when I got home.

• Options
    Below is an excerpt from kellymom.com about reverse cycling, which what it sounds like your LO is doing.What is reverse cycling?Reverse cycling is when baby nurses frequently at night and less frequently during the day. Why do some babies reverse cycle?If mom is away from baby during the day, baby may take just enough milk (by bottle or cup) to "take the edge off" his hunger, then wait for mom to return to get the bulk of his calories. Baby will typically nurse more often and/or longer than usual once mom returns. Some mothers encourage reverse cycling so they won't need to pump as much milk. Reverse cycling is common for breastfed babies who are away from mom part of the day, especially those just starting out with the bottle.If baby is reverse cycling and taking very little milk when mom is away at work:Be patient. Try not to stress about it. Consider it a compliment - baby prefers you!Use small amounts of expressed milk per bottle so there is less waste.If you're worrying that baby can't go that long without more milk, keep in mind that some babies sleep through the night for 8 hours or so without mom needing to worry that baby is not eating during that time period. Keep an eye on wet diapers and weight gain to assure yourself that baby is getting enough milk.Ensure that baby has ample chance to nurse when you're together.If you prefer to pump less milk while you're away from baby, you may choose to encourage baby to reverse cycle.
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"