Babies: 6 - 9 Months
Options

MIL WWYD...

So I posted the other day about MIL narrating photos on FB that she knows nothing about. This photo was taken while we were in Halifax. She comments "What do you mean you don't like my hat?"

There are two things. 1 - everybody loves his hat, and we get comments all the time. 2 - the people around him in this picture are his Aunts, Grandfather, Grandfather's wife (her shorts are in the pic.)

Would you make a comment? What would you say? DH is telling me to choose my battles... so I want a bump opinion...

What is happening is that we are at a busker's festival. They may or may not have started yet. He is bored, and in a minute I give him his sunglasses to nom on.

Lilypie Premature Baby tickers Photobucket Photobucket

Re: MIL WWYD...

• Options
    Honestly, I agree with your H.  I think you're upset about something silly.  She's just adding a caption for fun and a little humor...not as an insult and it's strange to me that you would take it that way. 
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • Options

That's something my MIL would do.  I agree with DH and wouldn't say anything, I'd just be pissed and complain to him or my friends.

If you found it really annoying you could just delete her comment.

dx PCOS on Metformin
    LO#1 - 19 cycles, 3 IUIs, 1 m/c, gonal-f, ganirelix, ovidrel, progesterone
    Totally worth the wait!
    Getting ready for #2
    Back on Met, PCOS diet, prepping for treatments 1/12

Good luck to the wonderful ladies of 3T
    Always cheering on my girls Gymnst1013 & MrsJohns
    My Chart / Info for Newbies
  • Loading the player...
  • Options
    I didn't see your other post so this is the only example I have to go by, but I don't think this is meant as an insult to his hat at all. I make comments all the time on peoples' pictures of their babies, with what the babies look like they're saying/thinking...it's just supposed to be funny.
    DS (7 years old) from FET in 2010
    DD (5 years old) from IUI in 2012
    TTC 3rd and final!: IUI #1 in progress!
  • Options
    I think she is probably making a joke, but it sounds like there are some other issues maybe, which makes her comments super annoying. I would agree with your DH, choose battles that are worth fighting. If you pick at everything she does (even if it is obnoxious), then the real issues won't seem as important to her as they may be.
  • Options
    imageGhostMonkey:

It's a joke. Get over it.

I would agree with this, except there have been 6 months of these inane (inaccurate) narrations. It is the fact that it is his family standing around that she has him "talking too" that really pisses me off.

Deleting the comment would likely be worse than saying something...

I had typed out "actually everyone loves his hat." and was thinking of adding "This is more like "when is the show going to start?"

• Options
    I don't think it's a big deal.
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • Options

It seems like she's just trying to make her captions funny and interesting. If she were to write an accurate description, "this is baby drea raye in a stroller. He has a hat on" that's really pretty boring. I'm sure nobody looks at that photo and thinks people were insulting your kid's hat. Do you look at bumpies siggies and take those captions seriously? (hint: those bumpie babies aren't really texting and driving or watching jersey shore and hoping their mom shuts up)

Choose your battles and fix your sense of humor button. 

IMG_8165 lb4lyfe2
    Online Photo Editor

AlternaTickers - Cool, free Web tickers Ztarrgheighzurr Lylliegh Smith is due in January!
    AlternaTickers - Cool, free Web tickers
  • Options
    My mom does this and it doesn't bother me. I think it's a ridiculous thing to get worked up about. It's easy to ignore. I ignore pretty much every comment on FB from everyone. 
    Lilypie First Birthday tickers Lilypie Pregnancy tickers
  • Options

I would leave it..... 

I have major problems with my MIL .... so everything she does irritates me.... but i still pick my battles ...

EXAMPLE : My MIL sought out my parents to complain that she does not get to babysit and how overprotective i am being because i asked her not to drink hot coffee over my son.... where were we?  at my sisters funeral....  now that is inappropriate....

ALSO: She YELLED at the owner of the restuarant where we held the wake for my sister... why .... because she ordered her coffee and cake before some one else ... and they got their's before her .... now that is inappropriate....

In the big picture ... while your MIL is annoying ... i would just ignore the comments or delete them if they really bother you ... to be honest .. i thought the comment was funny ! 

Lilypie First Birthday tickers
  • Options
    imageKarla_13:

I would leave it..... 

I have major problems with my MIL .... so everything she does irritates me.... but i still pick my battles ...

EXAMPLE : My MIL sought out my parents to complain that she does not get to babysit and how overprotective i am being because i asked her not to drink hot coffee over my son.... where were we?  at my sisters funeral....  now that is inappropriate....

ALSO: She YELLED at the owner of the restuarant where we held the wake for my sister... why .... because she ordered her coffee and cake before some one else ... and they got their's before her .... now that is inappropriate....

In the big picture ... while your MIL is annoying ... i would just ignore the comments or delete them if they really bother you ... to be honest .. i thought the comment was funny ! 

Surprise  I'm really sorry about your sister. And, your MIL sounds like a nut job.

• Options
    imagedrea_raye:
    imageGhostMonkey:

It's a joke. Get over it.

I would agree with this, except there have been 6 months of these inane (inaccurate) narrations. It is the fact that it is his family standing around that she has him "talking too" that really pisses me off.

Deleting the comment would likely be worse than saying something...

I had typed out "actually everyone loves his hat." and was thinking of adding "This is more like "when is the show going to start?"

That just sounds like you're being defensive over nothing. Of course the description is "inaccurate," obviously nobody knows what the baby is thinking.

DS (7 years old) from FET in 2010
    DD (5 years old) from IUI in 2012
    TTC 3rd and final!: IUI #1 in progress!
  • Options

K, thanks for the reality check... in part I just needed the time from the reaction to rationalize. She really does this all the time and sometimes it drives me more crazy than others. She is also a passive aggressive nutjob, so in part I think she does it to piss me off. 

Since the family that she is (inadvertently?) insulting is aware of this I will leave it.

I am sorry that some of you have ILs that do crazier things than this... my DH has one for sure, and MIL is not far off sometimes... this was a tip of the ice burg/ straw on the camels back type thing.

• Options
    imagedrea_raye:

K, thanks for the reality check... in part I just needed the time from the reaction to rationalize. She really does this all the time and sometimes it drives me more crazy than others. She is also a passive aggressive nutjob, so in part I think she does it to piss me off. 

Since the family that she is (inadvertently?) insulting is aware of this I will leave it.

I am sorry that some of you have ILs that do crazier things than this... my DH has one for sure, and MIL is not far off sometimes... this was a tip of the ice burg/ straw on the camels back type thing.

Sigh.  Really? You really think she was trying to insult your family members?  She was simply making a cute comment about your baby.  I second the 'Get the F over it!'

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Options
    imagedrea_raye:

I know I'm late to the party, but do you *really* think that the people that were with you that may have read this comment were insulted?  Seriously?  Maybe I don't know the whole backstory, but to me, it was a pretty funny comment that accurately described your LO's expression/body language (yes, I realize no one knows what he's thinking/feeling, but it fits the pic)  Me thinks, as PP said, that you need to reset your humor button and ease off the taking things so literally...it's FB for cripes' sakes...

• Options
    Ignore the comment to her, but *** away here. Battle choosing (battle here, not there).

PG#1 - 3rd cycle BFP. Team Green. HELLP syndrome @ 34 weeks.
    Later diagnosed with Hashimoto's Thyroiditis, possible link to HELLP.

PG#2 M/C 3/14 - Surprise BFP 2/13. Beta's doubled every 52 hours from 3w5d-5w5d
    Viable pregnancy scan at 5w5d; 2nd u/s showed 2 days of growth in 7 but a HB of 120
    3rd u/s on 3/10/14 had no HB and baby had only grown 7 days over 14
    D&C 3/17/14 - complications - DX Retroflexed uterus, multiple tears to cervix

All Welcome

Chart

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"