Pregnant after IF
Options

Can we talk about eating?

First, this is not a post complaining about weight gain, which I could honestly care less about.  I wish I was gaining more actually, as I'm still up under 20.  But I feel like I literally can't eat enough during waking hours.  I have three meals before lunch (eggs, toast, yogurt, cereal, fruit, etc.) and then it's pretty much eat eat from there on.  I think the kids are having a growth spurt and I'm feeling hungry all the time, and I am not exerting myself physically at all.

Do you ever feel like this?  Have you tried Ensure or some other supplemental calorie delivery system?  How do you stay satisfied?  I fear that if we had a pet, they would be in danger...  Embarrassed

I/DH make healthy smoothies between snacks and meals as I figured they are really calorie dense, but I'm looking for any ideas you might have to share.  I'm drinking mostly water now and eating as clean as possible (whole) foods (incl lots of cheese and peanut butter).

TTK 9/06 / TTC 10/08 / Twins 12/11 / Life Blog
5 REs + 3 surgical hysteroscopies for septum/lap + 3 failed IUIs
IVF w/ICSI/AH & acu = BFP!, unexplained spontaneous m/c @ 8w2d (our little girl),
FET w/acu = BFP!, B/G twins!, lost MP @19w, dx w/funneling cervix @20w,
twins nearly lost to IC @21w, saved by rescue cerclage, 17P & 16w of bedrest
Our twins born @36w4d via CS when A came foot first

Thankful for every day

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

Re: Can we talk about eating?

• Options

For me times like this came and went. This sounds terrible but I think I went through 5 or 6 boxes or granola bars in a week!

I am to the point now that if I don't eat I WILL be physically sick! I never found anything that ever really satisfied my constant hunger...sorry wish I could be more help!

(Having said all that I feel like I have ate like a beast but at 34 weeks I am only up 44lbs and expected to be WAY more than that by now) 

Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • Options

sounds like you are doing really well with your eating!

i have definitely had spurts where i cannot be satisfied. even now, i need to eat something prolly every 1 1/2 to 2 hours or i'm starving. my H and i call it "feeding the beasts" :)

do you drink a lot of milk? dr luke recommends a quart a day. i think i've done that on a handful of days, but i do try to drink 3 glass a day and it helps fill me up.

this is what i eat, not the exact same thing every day, but a good representation of what helps keep me satisfied:

slice whole wheat banana bread and a glass of milk

pb&j on whole wheat toast and orange juice

either a bowl of cereal with a cup of milk or a bowl of cottage cheese with fruit

lunch - it depends, usually it's just leftovers. but it almost always has meat in it for protein, plus a veg

handful of almonds or 2 hardboiled eggs with mayo

cup of greek yogurt with fruit, a lean cuisine snack (the egg rolls are SO GOOD and aren't terrible in terms of ingredients or sodium and they have a good amt of protein) or on a bad day a few cookies with a glass of milk

serving of fruit

dinner, which is some kind of meat with pasta or rice and a veg

dessert of some sort, or if i don't think i've eaten enough that day i make a smoothie with a banana, frozen strawberries, milk, greek yogurt, flax oil and wheat germ.

ETA - as of last week i am up 49 pounds.

• Loading the player...
  • Options
    I hear ya -- I am only up maybe 28 lbs. I find that I get really hungry, but get full really fast. I'm more thirsty than anything. I've asked about my weight at every OB and MFM appointment (and if I don't, my husband does -- he is very concerned about this!). The only time my OB recommends anything is when I haven't gained any weight between appointments. She usually says to have some milkshakes...something high in calories. I wish I could be more help!
    TTC since 8/09
    DX: PCO, ENDO, High NK, MTHFR
    8/10 = Lap to remove Endo

2 Femara TI, 3 Follistim IUI = BFN & 1 c/p
    IVF #1 - BFP - boy/girl Twins!

Ben and Reese born at 34w2d!
  • Options
    imageNicoleeBonsai:

sounds like you are doing really well with your eating!

i have definitely had spurts where i cannot be satisfied. even now, i need to eat something prolly every 1 1/2 to 2 hours or i'm starving. my H and i call it "feeding the beasts" :)

do you drink a lot of milk? dr luke recommends a quart a day. i think i've done that on a handful of days, but i do try to drink 3 glass a day and it helps fill me up.

this is what i eat, not the exact same thing every day, but a good representation of what helps keep me satisfied:

slice whole wheat banana bread and a glass of milk

pb&j on whole wheat toast and orange juice

either a bowl of cereal with a cup of milk or a bowl of cottage cheese with fruit

lunch - it depends, usually it's just leftovers. but it almost always has meat in it for protein, plus a veg

handful of almonds or 2 hardboiled eggs with mayo

cup of greek yogurt with fruit, a lean cuisine snack (the egg rolls are SO GOOD and aren't terrible in terms of ingredients or sodium and they have a good amt of protein) or on a bad day a few cookies with a glass of milk

serving of fruit

dinner, which is some kind of meat with pasta or rice and a veg

dessert of some sort, or if i don't think i've eaten enough that day i make a smoothie with a banana, frozen strawberries, milk, greek yogurt, flax oil and wheat germ.

ETA - as of last week i am up 49 pounds.

Thanks for sharing all of this.  It is exactly like feeding the beasts.  I don't really drink milk, except on my cereal, but have lots of other dairy every day.  It sounds like we eat a lot of the same things, though I do let myself have pretty much whatever I want (hello ice cream).  I was hoping a positive s/e of bed rest would be I'd be less hungry, but silly me. 

Great job on your gain, that's awesome!  I can't wait to be up 50, though I'll still likely be hungry... :(

IVF w/ICSI/AH & acu = BFP!, unexplained spontaneous m/c @ 8w2d (our little girl),

Thankful for every day

• Options
    imageleecrystalwed08:

Having said all that I feel like I have ate like a beast but at 34 weeks I am only up 44lbs and expected to be WAY more than that by now

It sounds like you are doing great!

Thankful for every day

• Options
    It's been a struggle for me too.  I haven't had much of an appetite this whole pregnancy so I force myself to eat more snacks, etc.  I have never been a "snacker" so it's tough.  I feel like I can't put on weight, at least the amount my MFM is recommending, no matter what I eat because these babies take everything.   You got some good suggestions here.  Just keep pushing the protein!
    Diagnosis: DOR and MFI-low everything IVF #1 = triplets! 2 girls and a boy! Born Sept 29, 2011 at 32w6d due to Pre-e and HELLP syndrome Lilypie First Birthday tickers
  • Options
    I'm more in one of those "force myself to eat" modes.  I've definitely had weeks where there wasn't enough food to keep myself happy.   Like Eriksgal though, for the most part, I'm not a snacker.  I have to remind myself to eat.  I'm still gaining 1.5-2 lbs a week, so I'm not too concerned.  Just keep eating good quality foods and it will all work out.  Listen to your body.
  • Options
    I ate big bowls of fiber cereal like Kashi.  It's low cal, high protein but bulky.  So it physically fills your stomach more, plus the fiber helps the old bum.  I found that the bulk kept me full longer then high calorie but smaller sized foods did.
    dx PCOS on Metformin
    LO#1 - 19 cycles, 3 IUIs, 1 m/c, gonal-f, ganirelix, ovidrel, progesterone
    Totally worth the wait!
    Getting ready for #2
    Back on Met, PCOS diet, prepping for treatments 1/12

Good luck to the wonderful ladies of 3T
    Always cheering on my girls Gymnst1013 & MrsJohns
    My Chart / Info for Newbies
  • Options

With the twins, eat what you can now because around 25-27 weeks I have gotten full within minutes.  

I love the glucerna shakes (low sugar) and I also do smoothies as well, but with added protein powder.  In addition, I think it's good to snack all day.  With multiples-- you have to.  Get tons of protein and calcium. 

My Story and Blog:
    The Conception Craze

1/2009- TTTC
    After 7 rounds of clomid and HcG, Three failed IUI's with an ectopic pregnancy, two shots of methotrextate, ER visits, breaks, low (3%) morphology One IVF cycle (lupron, gonal-F) that ended in another ectopic, more methotrexate, A Lap to disconnect both tubes, remove endo and a hydrosalphinx, . . .we are finally expecting TWINS from FET#1!
    1.11. 2011: Beginning FET cycle!
    3.11.11- FET! (DH's birthday!) 2 blasts transfered!
    3.20.11- BETA #1 BFP!!! 272! (9dp5dt)
    3.23.11- BETA #2 1346!!! (12dp5dt)
    4.8.11- U/S #1. . TWINS!!! . . .TWO BOYS!
    9.10.11-My beautiful Boys arrive unexpectedly at 28 weeks, 6 days. imageimage
    Lilypie Premature Baby tickers image

• Options
    Just wanted to let you know....I went to an OB appt today and actually dropped 5 pounds! My new OB said not to worry b/c being in the hospital and on bedrest, you lose muscle. Just wanted to let you know since you are on modified bedrest....don't be alarmed if the scale doesn't budge, or if you lose a little bit of weight.
    TTC since 8/09
    DX: PCO, ENDO, High NK, MTHFR
    8/10 = Lap to remove Endo

2 Femara TI, 3 Follistim IUI = BFN & 1 c/p
    IVF #1 - BFP - boy/girl Twins!

Ben and Reese born at 34w2d!
  • Options

imageLaneCA:
    Just wanted to let you know....I went to an OB appt today and actually dropped 5 pounds! My new OB said not to worry b/c being in the hospital and on bedrest, you lose muscle. Just wanted to let you know since you are on modified bedrest....don't be alarmed if the scale doesn't budge, or if you lose a little bit of weight.

Thanks for the heads up, this is very good to know.  I could gain 100 lbs. and be fine w/that, but the pounds haven't been coming very quickly given how much I eat.  The Dr. said as long as the babies are on track, they are not concerned with my weight gain.  I know they get the goods first, but I'm just concerned that sometimes it seems I can't eat enough to keep these babies happy.

Thankful for every day

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"