C-sections

Mama's with 2 or more c-sections

How did your second c section turn out? Did you heal like you did with the first c section? Did they cut over the same scar? Were you told you have to wait for a number of months/years before TTC again? I am just asking because we would like to have another child sometime in the near future and my c section was unplanned and unexpected. Any other advice you want to offer would be great. TIA

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

Pregnancy Ticker

Follow Me on Pinterest

Re: Mama's with 2 or more c-sections

• I have heard second c-sections are often easier than firsts.  Mine was not but my third was the easiest recovery I have had (I will have my fourth in November).  Each time, they cut out the old scar and replaced it, I was told to space births out eat least 18 months--I was 26 months between 1-2 and 18 months with 2-3.  This time there will be a 28 month space. 

Like I said, my third c-section was as easy as a c-section can be.  Recovery was easy, etc.  The only hitch was that I had to have staples and they stayed in for 3.5 weeks but I think that is from having 3 c-sections in 3.5 years.

Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • Hi!  I've had 2 c/s and will be having a third in January.  My second section was just a touch harder to heal from because I couldn't sit down and rest when my body told me too.  Having a 17mo at the time, I was constantly up and and down and wore my body out.  So the soreness lasted maybe an extra few weeks?  I took my meds longer with #2 than I did with #1, but otherwise that's it.

The ob actually cut out my first scar and created a whole new one so the scar was nice and clean just like it was a first c-section.

As far as waiting goes, my ob told me with DS1 that I should wait 18-24mo if I wanted to try for a vbac.  If I wanted a repeat c/s, then she said it didn't matter.  We didn't even discuss it after DS2 was born other than she said I was fine to have more kids (they take number of c-sections one by one, depending on how things look when they go in there).

HTH!

Caleb.02.01.08 | Asher.07.06.09 | Jude.01.19.12
    Image and video hosting by TinyPic

Lilypie Fifth Birthday tickers Lilypie Fourth Birthday tickers
    Lilypie First Birthday tickers

Mama Jan's Kitchen... a food blog
    Follow Me on Pinterest
  • Loading the player...
  • After my first c/s, I was told to wait a year before TTC.  As far as healing with the second c/s, I had a pretty easy time.  The incision was over my original scar.  The incision itself healed up great.  I had a little more pain this time around, but overall it was an easy recovery.  The hardest part the second time around is having a toddler at home who doesn't quite grasp what's going on.  I wasn't suppose to lift him for 2 weeks, but try telling that to a 2 year old. 

• 2nd was easier since I wasn't in labor first, but overall the recovery was about the same.  First week is rough and it might have taken me a full 6 weeks to feel back to normal since I was already chasing a LO at home.  I wasn't told to wait any amount of time to get PG again.  c/s was done in the same area, took a little longer the 2nd time around b/c of scar tissue.  Healed the same as the first time.
    DS1 age 7, DD age 5 and DS2 born 4/3/12
  • My second was SO much easier than my first. I was out of the hospital a full day earlier and moving much easier sooner as well. I didn't need any serious pain meds with either one, I only took ibuprofen both times, but I needed it for fewer days after #2. 

My first was also unplanned, it happened after a very long labor. The second time I actually was in labor and DD was born 2 weeks before her scheduled day. They did cut on the same scar, but I have a second "scar" type line above it where scar tissue accumulated. It's not gorgeous but nothing much I can do about it. The docs didn't say anything about having to wait x amount of time before trying again, my first two are less than 2 years apart and while they said it wasn't "ideal" it wasn't going to put me in any danger.  

Image and video hosting by TinyPicImage and video hosting by TinyPicImage and video hosting by TinyPic

Joe and Ashley ~ June 16, 2007 ~ Olivia Rae ~ May 12, 2008 ~ 9:06 pm ~ 8lbs 4oz ~ 20.5 inches ~ Miscarriage of twins ~ April 16, 2009 at 6 weeks. ~ Surprise BFP 6/23/09 13DPO ~ Eleanor Rose ~ February 18, 2010 ~ 6lbs 15oz ~ 20 inches ~ Caroline Ruth ~ February 19, 2013 ~ 6lbs 12 oz ~ 19 1/4 inches

Our family is complete!

• My 2nd c-section was WAY easier than my first. My first was an emergency c-section and I labored for 12 hours beforehand so I think that had something to do with it.

It healed much better than the first (1st one got infected), they used the same incision, and they gave me no instructions on TTC. We are currently expecting #3 which will be in November.

If you have any questions feel free to PM me.

Lilypie First Birthday tickers Lilypie Fourth Birthday tickers Lilypie Kids Birthday tickers
  • My second c section was amazing! I didn't even really feel as though I had just had surgery. I had a very active 3 year old to run around after and still felt great. I think just not having to labor for 24+ hours this time really helped : )

They cut through the same scar. I was never told how long to wait to TTGP, but my OB knows that we want more children. I will say that getting the weight off this time has been a real bitchh ; )

• My second was great! Not as painful and a faster recovery.

They removed my old scar and made a fresh incision. It looks really good.

I was told to wait 18 months between births.

Lilypie Kids Birthday tickersLilypie Second Birthday tickers
  • 4 time cs mom here

How did your second c section turn out?- It was much easier because it was scheduled. With my first I was in labor for 36hrs before I was pulled in for the cs. So it was very stressful. My other cs's have been scheduled as well and it's been very nice.

Did you heal like you did with the first c section? - I healed better and faster with each cs. I was also in the hospital for shorter amounts of time with each one. CS1 was 5 days, cs2 was 4 days, cs3&4 were 2 days.

Did they cut over the same scar? - My first two were cut over the same scar. My 3rd one I was given a new cut because the baby was too high. With this 4th one, the doc actually said there was no reason for the doc to cut higher last time and he fixed my two scars. He made them one, and I got a mini tuck from him doing that.

Were you told you have to wait for a number of months/years before TTC again? - I wasn't, but most docs will say to wait at least a year for proper healing. I was 16mos from my last cs before I got pg again.

• I have had 2 c/s

How did your second c section turn out?- Much better. Since it was scheduled I knew exactly when baby was coming. I labored for over 24 hours with #1, so I was exhausted by the time I had the baby. It was so nice to be showered and fresh and coherent. The whole experience was great and so relaxed. Plus, in the 3+ years between my sections, my hospital changed policy. I was able to have skin to skin right away, and nurse within minutes. DH was permitted to be on the other side of the curtain to see baby be born if he wanted, cut the cord. baby never left my side.

Did you heal like you did with the first c section? - I feel a lot better this time. But I also attribute this to me being more active and walking laps in the hospital this time instead of lounging around in fear.

Did they cut over the same scar? - Yes, but I noticed last night that he did not cut the entire scar, about 1/2 an inch less.

Were you told you have to wait for a number of months/years before TTC again? N/A -- I had my tubes tied

DD #1 born 9/07 ** DD #2 born 7/11 ** Operation Take Back My Body has begun 10/11
    Upcoming Races
    Gobble Wobble 5K 11/24/11 - Abington, PA 29:40
    Superbowl 10K 02/05/12 - Allentown, PA 54:28 PR!!!!
    Broad Street 10 Mile Run 05/06/12 - Philadelphia, PA 1:30:44
    Rock and Roll Half Marathon 09/16/12 - Philadelphia, PA
    Philadelphia (Half?!?) Marathon 11/18/12 - Philadelphia, PA
  • Second c/s was much better than the first.  My first was not planned and I just had the doctor on call.  My second was MY doctor, which I much preferred.  They cut over the same scar.  I had a lot of old scar tissue, so she also removed that.  The second dr. did so much better...my scar from DS1 was dark and lumpy, you can hardly even see the scar from DS2.

DS2 was conceived when DS1 was 1 year, but no one ever told me to wait or anything.  I actually started trying when DS1 was about 6 months.  

My best advice is to accept any and all help.  Shortly before DS2 was born, a friend of mine had a c/s with her 2nd child.  She over-did it when she got home and ended up needing to be re-hospitalized twice due to infections from doing too much.  I really took this to heart and had someone with me 24 hours a day for the first two weeks after DS2 was born.  DS1 was still in a crib, so having someone there meant I didn't have to lift him in or out.  DS1 also had a really easy time adjusting b/c someone was there to pay attention to him all of the time.  And I got time to bond with DS2.  

Good luck!

Lilypie Kids Birthday tickers Lilypie Fourth Birthday tickers Lilypie Maternity tickers
  • imageMama Jan:

As far as waiting goes, my ob told me with DS1 that I should wait 18-24mo if I wanted to try for a vbac.  If I wanted a repeat c/s, then she said it didn't matter.  We didn't even discuss it after DS2 was born other than she said I was fine to have more kids (they take number of c-sections one by one, depending on how things look when they go in there).

HTH!

This is good to know b/c I was told you shouldn't have more than 3 or the risks increase greatly. 

• I am def. healing better with my 2rd c/s then my first.

My first was unplanned and was done after 40+ hrs of labor.  I was wore out and the pain med did not take during the c-section so I had to be knocked out.  Took longer for my milk to come in and even a bowel movement.

This time around (c/s was Aug 23- a week ago Tuesday) it was planned.  OB cut on first scar- pain meds worked :).  The dreaded first bowel movement came the second day after the c/s without any medical help!  Milk came in the same day as the bowel movement!  Walking better- don't need as much "after" meds, etc.

I was never told how long to wait in between c/s's.  That will pry be discussed at my 6 wk pp exam.  I do know that the longer you wait the more time your uterus has t heal.

My ob said in regards to how many c/s you can have depends on your uterus and how well it heals.  Some people he said has to stop after 3 c/s's.  He has had other patients that has had 5 and their uterus still looks great!  (I hope I am in the latter group).

image Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • imagejulbeejulz:

How did your second c section turn out?
    Turned out really well. This one was expected to happen so I had no surprises

Did you heal like you did with the first c section?
    My first c-section was an emergency and ended up being a classical or vertical cut on the inside so the healing this time went much-much faster.

Did they cut over the same scar?
    He sure did! because my first section was an emergency he didn't have time to make it "pretty" per-say. so this time around he re-cut over the scar and cleaned it up. you can barely tell it's there.

Were you told you have to wait for a number of months/years before TTC again?
    Yes - my uterus was really thin so he suggested that we wait a minimum of 3+ years before trying to conceive again. he would prefer 5yrs (whoa!)

Hi, I'm Amanda :)

Remembering Evelyn and raising Bailey
    Evelyn Born at 24wks 6days on May 22, 2010 due to pre-e Passed away May 25, 2010

BFP# 2 Delivered 6wks early due to preeclampsia
    Lilypie Premature Baby tickers
    Photobucket

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"