Baby Showers
Options

IHO Meet the baby parties

Did anyone actually do this?

I just ask because I can't imagine throwing a party and passing my baby around weeks after having him. I did host his baptism 6 weeks after he was born and that was exhausting and nerve-wracking. 

The next meet the baby party was held out of state when he was 6 months old. I could let him go a little easier by that point. 

Just wondering what the norm is for people who actually throw these parties. 

Re: IHO Meet the baby parties

• Options

I've wondered the same thing, to be honest.  I put this idea out as an option instead of a shower, but in reality .... I've never known anyone to throw one.

when DS was 5 days old, we invited friends to come over to see him, but it wasn't a "party" by any stretch of the imagination.  It was only done in order to control when people came over.  I'd rather a few people come between (lets say) 12 and 3 than have people calling and wanting to come over all throughout the day. 

And I also have to fess up that I find this new trend almost AWish.  Yes, having a baby is exciting, yes, we want to show the baby off, yes, when friends have a baby I want to go see the baby - etc etc etc.  But there is something about having a full-fledged party around it that just sits a little wrong with me.

I feel like "we" are finding every excuse in the book now to throw parties.  Weddings now involve engagement parties, bachelorette parties, and showers- and then the WEDDING itself.  now babies are becoming about showers, often multiple showers, and NOW we're adding on Meet the Baby parties. 

All these life events don't need to be surrounded w/ a ton of parties to celebrate how wonderful we are.....

"Beer is living proof that God loves us and wants us to be happy."
    ~Benjamin Franklin

Lilypie Third Birthday tickers
    DS dx with celiac disease 5/28/10

• Options

Me? No. Hellz no.

My aunt brought her 2 week old baby along to my baby shower. The baby was passed around for 3 hours straight. Does that count?

This was in February (during flu season) and there were other small children there. Six kids under the age of 5, in addition to the baby. And my aunt wonders why the baby got sick. Der.

• Loading the player...
  • Options

And to add - I can at least understand a "Meet the Baby" party where here is a BABY to meet.  There is a specific purpose to the party.

Where you REALLY lose me is these people who want to throw a party before the baby is born that isn't a shower and they dont' want gifts, but they want to get all their friends together to celebrate!!! 

Um... o.k.  THIS is where it takes the AW turn for me.  O.k.... so we're all going to get together and stare at your belly and marvel that you and your DH had sex (in most cases) and were able to pro-create....????

~Benjamin Franklin

• Options

ECB, I feel like I quote you all the time.

I couldn't have said it better myself. Both parts.

• Options

Well I had my shower after the baby was born, but I didn't throw it and it was the only shower I had.  Here baby showers are pretty much 100% after baby is born, so while technically not a meet the baby party, the baby is definately there!  I had mine at 3 weeks and I was ok passing her around while I opened gifts, but my mom kept close eye on who had her and how she was doing during that time and when she saw that my daughter was "done" she went and took her for the rest of the evening. 

I wouldn't want to host anything myself that soon after delievery though so I will not be doing my own meet the baby this time!  If people want to meet him/her, they can see us in church or call and come over.... that's enough for me!

Daughter #1 - February 12, 2010 

natural m/c March 11, 2011 at 8 1/2 weeks 

Daughter #2 - January 11, 2012 

Ectopic pregnancy discovered November 6, 2012 at 6 weeks

Daughter #3 - January 19, 2014

Started our exploration into the world of international adoption June 2012.  We have no idea what this is going to look like but we are excited to find out!

image              image

• Options
    I don't know, I've never been to one nor would I throw one and we aren't having anything before the baby is born either.  We are having a baby naming (a Jewish ceremony) about 3 months after the baby is born.  I guess anyone who wants to meet the baby before that will just have to come over.
    Daisypath Happy Birthday tickersDaisypath Happy Birthday tickersPitaPata Cat tickers

• Options

I think we actually are going to have a meet the baby party.  This is not a shower.  I am being thrown a traditional shower before the baby is born.  The food and beverages will be provided by us and no gifts are expected. The reasons why it makes sense to me?

1.  It will be 10 long months since I have been able to kick back and enjoy myself.  I will be ready for party!

2. With alllll of the family that is going to be wanted to come over to our home whenever it is convenient for THEM to see the baby my answer can be,  "Oh, just wait a little bit. We are having a meet the baby party."  Clean the house one time, prepare food one time, deal with everyone one time!  Done!  

Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • Options

Alot of these Meet the Baby parties I have heard about have been done with adoptive parents. Instead of having a shower before the baby (never know what will happen). They are waiting until they go to court or after the time frame in which the birth parents have to change their minds.

Lilypie Premature Baby tickers
  • Options

MIL threw me a  "Meet the Baby" shower 6 weeks after DD was born.  She decided to do this, because FIL's family lives about 2 hours south of her and they don't get to see them often.  We live about an hour north of in laws, and see FIL's family even less.  We didn't get a chance to see one of his cousin's babies until he was 6 months old.  It wasn't huge so I was comfortable letting people hold the baby. It was DH's immediate family, his grandma, some aunts uncles and cousins (about 10 people total) and 3 couples that are really good friends with the family.  And not everyone was there at once so that was even better. 

photo 997d7ce2-9f44-4a90-b78f-0ddf5f488d41_zps82d963f4.jpg
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Options
    A friend of mine really wanted to throw a me (well, DS really) a meet the baby party before I'd heard about them here. It sounded like fun, but I convinced her that it would be best to have it about a week after DS gets his round of two month vaccinations. His pediatrician thinks that is a good time to have it too. 
  • Options

It's my answer to people who throw back in my face about how soul-sucking I am about not celebrating their little precious bundle of joy.   Would I have one?  Well, I kind of did, it was called Christmas.  However, I'd probably not do one set party with 20 people, but do an open house day and let people come and go.  

Ditto on the gender reveal parties...gag.  I said it before here somewhere, but at that party, we are literally celebrating your new baby's penis or vagina.  Seriously.  It's one thing to go to a shower, celebrating the new mom/new baby and saying "It's a girl!!".  Focus at a shower goes New Mom > Baby > Baby's junk.  Gender reveal parties are Baby's Junk > food > awkwardness.  

Image and video hosting by TinyPic Little Man (4 years old---holy cow)
    He's the single greatest thing I've done in my life and reminds me daily of how fun (and funny) life can be.  He's turned out pretty swell for having such a heartless and evil mother.  
  • Options
    I've been to a few showers after LO's arrivals because of cultural and religious traditions.  I attended one MTB Party.  PERSONALLY, I would not have one.  I understand the benefit of controlling the visitor flow, but I feel like I don't want my newborn being passed around at such a young age and would be totally neurotic about it.
  • Options

We did and really if my memory serves me right only 3-4 people held him (and one was my mom).  He was 4 weeks old.  People came over to whoever was holding him and ohhed and ahhed but never asked to hold him or even tried to touch him.  I mean really...people know you have a newborn and I think most people appreciate you don't want him passed around like a football.

BTW...I've also hosted 2 baby showers after the LO's were born and it was never an issue.  While the new mom opened gifts the grandma held the baby.  I think at one the new mom's sister held her LO the majority of the time.

• Options
    imagelulling:

1.  It will be 10 long months since I have been able to kick back and enjoy myself.  I will be ready for party!

Hahahahaha.  This is funny. Come back and see us after you have the baby.

Seriously, I wonder how many people say that they're going to do this Meet the Baby party, then they have a complicated labor or even just plain regular labor, a rough recovery, a baby not sleeping through the night, etc.  We did the baptism at 6 weeks and that was rough.  At 6 weeks, I was only just able to walk up and down the stairs without pain.

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Options
    I would never do this because the last thing I'll want to do when I have a newborn is entertain guests or have a houseful of people.  I've never known anyone to do one either.  I think people just go way overboard now days- showers, gender reveals (don't even get me started!) and meet the baby.  Honestly, pick one!
  • Options
    I am really surprised at how many people have not gone to (or heard of) meet the baby parties or even showers AFTER the baby is born.  There are many cultures that do not have showers before babies are born.  I guess if you don't live in a very diverse area or have friends from other cultures that would explain it.  I have gone to "meet the baby" parties for years...long before I ever got on this board.  I think the first one I ever went to was about 15 years ago.  Maybe it is a regional thing...whereas some people are familiar with having 2nd, 3rd, etc. showers...we have "meet the baby" parties.  Also, maybe because we have these, people that are not extremely close (like grandparents) just don't ask to hold the baby.  I have never seen a baby passed around from person to person to person.  It just isn't done at the parties I attend.
  • Options

imagerhubarb123:
    I am really surprised at how many people have not gone to (or heard of) meet the baby parties or even showers AFTER the baby is born.  There are many cultures that do not have showers before babies are born.  I guess if you don't live in a very diverse area or have friends from other cultures that would explain it.  I have gone to "meet the baby" parties for years...long before I ever got on this board.  I think the first one I ever went to was about 15 years ago.  Maybe it is a regional thing...whereas some people are familiar with having 2nd, 3rd, etc. showers...we have "meet the baby" parties.  Also, maybe because we have these, people that are not extremely close (like grandparents) just don't ask to hold the baby.  I have never seen a baby passed around from person to person to person.  It just isn't done at the parties I attend.
    I don't know why showers after the baby is born is being brought into this, to be honest.  That's an entirely different issue, and as you said, is often done for cultural reasons.  I personally don't blink twice at that.  A shower is a shower is a shower whether it's thrown before or after the baby is here.

While I'm being a little sarcastic in this post, MTB's don't really bug me all that much because there is a purpose - to MEET the new baby. 

I do throw a side eye at the "I just want to celebrate my pregnancy so we're going to throw a non-gift BBQ before the baby is here".  THAT to me is VERY AWish.  And now that it's becoming more of a "thing", it just brings to light all these different excuses people are finding to have numerous parties for themselves.  At some point, it becomes too much.

~Benjamin Franklin

• Options
    imagemommabear17:
    imagelulling:

Hahahahaha.  This is funny. Come back and see us after you have the baby.

At 6 weeks, I was only just able to walk up and down the stairs without pain.

Seriously. I lost bladder function as a complication. I was still self-catheterizing 3 weeks after birth, every 3 hours. No way would I have made a good hostess. 

I could finally sit down straight and without easing myself down after about 6 weeks. And I didn't even tear that bad. 

You just never know what will happen! 

• Options
    imagerhubarb123:

We did and really if my memory serves me right only 3-4 people held him (and one was my mom).  He was 4 weeks old.  People came over to whoever was holding him and ohhed and ahhed but never asked to hold him or even tried to touch him.  I mean really...people know you have a newborn and I think most people appreciate you don't want him passed around like a football.

BTW...I've also hosted 2 baby showers after the LO's were born and it was never an issue.  While the new mom opened gifts the grandma held the baby.  I think at one the new mom's sister held her LO the majority of the time.

That was not my personal experience.

Quite honestly, I found most people who stopped by to be very grabby with DS.

• Options

imagerhubarb123:
    I guess if you don't live in a very diverse area or have friends from other cultures that would explain it. .

Oh, you are right. Boston is not a very diverse city. My bad.

And a shower isn't hosted by the parents, so that isn't what I am talking about. I am talking about a meet the baby party- which most on this forum are suggested to throw themselves after the baby is born. 

• Options

Well you can live in a very diverse area I suppose but not have association with people from other cultures I suppose.  That is more for the showers that are hosted after LO's are born which I guess this post is not about.

As for "meet the baby parties"...yes they are mostly thrown by the parents (although I have helped host a couple for others because the mom's just weren't up to it).  It is very common where I live (and where I used to live).  We hosted a BBQ/Meet the Baby Party (we have an annual BBQ and since it was the same time frame - a month after our DS was born) it worked out well for us.  Almost all of our relatives live 1 1/2 - 3 hours away (and almost always come to our BBQ) so it just made sense.   It is just a big party and everyone sees the baby (usually for the first time - until a major holiday rolls around).

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"