Georgia Babies
Options

BF Mama's- WWYD?

I'm trying to make it to 1 year but I don't know if its going to happen.  She's always been combo fed so she gets bottles of formula and nurses.  I love the flexibility of doing both.  Well, about a month ago, she cut down to only nursing 3 times a day- morning, noon, and night.  This seemed perfect and I thought it would be smooth sailing till her birthday.  The noon one is a bit of struggle b/c she's so active and at daycare at my office and just doesn't want to sit still to eat and wants to get back to her room with the toys.  But I thought maybe it was a phase and she'd get over it. Then all of a sudden last week, she wouldn't nurse during the day AT ALL.  So now, for about a week she's only been nursing morning and night.  I'm fine with this but I'm worried that my supply may not hold out till December with only 2 feedings a day.  I suppose I could break out the pump again but I really hate that thing and since she gets formula anyway, its kind of like- what's the point?  So what would you do?  Just continue with the self weaning she seems to be doing or try to extend it as long as possible?

Re: BF Mama's- WWYD?

• Options

I think if she wants to be done, let it be.  You did all you could to nurse her for as long as she needed it and she's getting all the nutrition she needs .  Job well done!  

I WISH Liam would quit nursing.  I am over it.   

• Options

I've actually been able to maintain the morning/night supply for 2-3 months now.  I think your supply will adjust accordingly.  Its actually been really nice for both of us.

Congrats on making it this far!

Lilypie Third Birthday tickers Image and video hosting by TinyPic Lilypie Maternity tickers
  • Loading the player...
  • Options
    I would maintain morning and night feedings and drop the day one if she doesn't seem interested.  I did that for a few months and my supply seemed fine.  Good luck and congrats on making it so far with #2!  
    Mommy to Abigail Elizabeth (11/4/11) and Brady Jasper (7/2/09)
    my blog
  • Options
    Congrats on making it so far!  We're struggling with the same thing here.  I asked our pedi about it this morning at Alice's 9 month check up and she said that as long as she's getting plenty of calcium, iron and vitamins from her other foods that we could drop the daytime bottle of BM and give her an extra serving of yogurt during the day instead, with plenty of water in a sippy.  I'm planning on moving towards this over the next week or two, and continuing to nurse in the morning, after work and again before bed.  I'm really happy because it means ditching the pump (YAY!!!) 
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Options

I say if she seems to be self-weaning, let her. We started supplementing with formula around 9 months because of Abigail's constipation issues. By 10.5 months, she had completely self-weaned. I was sad because I wasn't ready, but I knew that it was easier than it would have been if I had to wean her myself.  But good job making it this far!!!

Abigail Taylor 09.18.2008

Lilypie Fourth Birthday tickers
  • Options
    imageMLvK:

I think if she wants to be done, let it be.  You did all you could to nurse her for as long as she needed it and she's getting all the nutrition she needs .  Job well done!  

I WISH Liam would quit nursing.  I am over it.   

Count your blessings, Michelle!!  It killed me when Isaac weaned himself.  I was so hoping he would go 1 year+ like P.

Stacie-Isaac weaned himself and I tried so hard to keep up and pumped and offered over and over for him but he just didn't want to do it.  If you have to let go, then just be at peace with it.  I was so sad but it didn't seem to affect our personal relationship.  I thought it would bc I didn't know any different (P nursed 15 months). At any rate, I feel your pain/struggle.  Good job, Mama, whatever happens!  :)  And really the only real hurt I had when Isaac quit was in the pocketbook - Formula is $$$$$.

• Options
    I think I would let her go with it. I was worried went Cason went down to morning and night, but my supply held out and we did that for four or five months before I weaned him completely!
  • Options
    I'd follow her lead. There is no chance in hell I would bust out the pump again at this point.  I cut E back to nursing only first thing in the morning in the last month, and while I don't think she gets a ton at that feeding, she still gets something and seems to want to do it. 
    Nothing is more discouraging than unappreciated sarcasm. 
    AlternaTickers - Cool free Web tickers
  • Options
    kellymom has some good advice on this situation and says that you can get by for quite a while with once or twice a day feedings. if you feel your supply slipping, i have to say the liquid fenugreek (got it from whole foods) worked wonders at getting my supply back up. good luck!
    imageAlternaTickers - Cool, free Web tickers AlternaTickers - Cool, free Web tickers
  • Options
    Both of my boys started to be really distracted and kinda started self-weaning around 9-10 months.  I was ready to have my body back by then, so I didn't fight it, although I had been prepared to go the full 12 months.  I definitely would not break out the pump or take any other extra measures, personally, and I'd just go with the direction your baby seems to be taking :) 
    Jack 3.5.07 / Ethan 9.17.08 / Lauren 4.3.11 image
  • Options
    Mia was the same way.  I think if she's self weaning, then let her.  Congrats on making it so far!

EDD 1/8/10 - our sweet sunshine DD born 12/30/09
    EDD 2/15/14 - Stillbirth at 21 wks 10/02/13
    EDD 8/12/15 - MMC 1/12/15
    EDD 12/24/15

Lilypie Angel and Memorial tickers 

• Options
    Thanks y'all! I'll just go with it!

• Options
    You did great lasting this long already! I definitely wouldn't break out the pump. Just go with her self weaning. We did the yogurt instead of a feeding for Derek too about 10 months because he dropped his noon feeding.
    Derek 6.30.09 & Parker 4.1.11
    Family
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"