D.C. Area Babies

ok, FINE: questions about potty training

Alright, so you guys talked me into letting DCP potty train J (now that I write that out it seems so obvious . . .).

Anyway, Kewlie got me started on some research and I found these waterproof Potty Scotty reusable training pants. Apparently they're much more absorbent than the Gerber ones and got really good reviews.

So, a few questions:

1. How many of these pants should I get?
  2. What do you do if they poop in them?
  3. At this point, should we still be diapering for naps (I'm leaning toward yes, because he still sometimes leaks through double/triple-stuffed CDs during naps).
  4. How consistent should we be? If they're using these during the day at daycare, does that mean we should on weekends too? What about when we're out running errands (or doing anything other than staying at home)? 
  5. How often do we need to be running him to the potty?
  6. Should I get one of those seat insert things rather than the kid-sized potty? (I would get a stool so he could stand but they're having him sit at daycare so we should probably be consistent there.)
Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

TTC #2: BFP 12/17/11, m/c 1/7/12 and D&C 1/12/12

baby blog/cooking blog
Follow Me on Pinterest

Re: ok, FINE: questions about potty training

• I'll answer based on my limited experience of PTing DD#1.

1. How many of these pants should I get? We got 12. I give 5 pairs to the DCP for the week (for accidents) and that leaves me 7 at home for her to wear during the week. Sometimes I have to do laundry twice during the week.
    2. What do you do if they poop in them? Scrape off the poop in the toilet and then I put the underewar in a bucket of water with some Oxiclean powder and leave it there until I have time to wash it.
    3. At this point, should we still be diapering for naps (I'm leaning toward yes, because he still sometimes leaks through double/triple-stuffed CDs during naps). We diaper for naps. The DCP sits in the room with them and tells them to tell her if they need to go potty.
    4. How consistent should we be? If they're using these during the day at daycare, does that mean we should on weekends too? What about when we're out running errands (or doing anything other than staying at home)?  We use underwear whenever we are at home because we have easy access to a potty. When we leave the house we use pull-ups just because when DD needs to go, we need to get to a potty within a minute or so which isn't always possible when we are out and about.
    5. How often do we need to be running him to the potty? We do it when she asks or approximately every hour.
    6. Should I get one of those seat insert things rather than the kid-sized potty? (I would get a stool so he could stand but they're having him sit at daycare so we should probably be consistent there.) We got inserts and I like them because then everything is going into the potty. They've worked for DD just fine. At DC, the DCP just puts them on the potty with no insert and they hold themselves up with their hands. DD does just fine with that too.
    Lilypie Third Birthday tickers Lilypie First Birthday tickers
  • DD1 just turned 3 and is fully potty-trained (day/night/naps/poop/pee).  I will be honest and say that DCP did the bulk of the training - the peer pressure with other kids totally helped. 

imagetomandcourt:

So, a few questions:

1. How many of these pants should I get? We went straight to underwear.  No Pull-Ups, no "training pants", straight on underwear.  I think I bought 12-15 pairs.  I gave 5 to DCP and kept the rest at home.  I replenished their supply as needed (there were always a bunch in the wash even though we do laundry weekly).
    2. What do you do if they poop in them? Put the poop in the toilet and the underwear in the trash.  I am an environmental engineer and I literally deal with wastewater on a regular basis and I still can't bring myself to wash a pair of poopy underwear.
    3. At this point, should we still be diapering for naps (I'm leaning toward yes, because he still sometimes leaks through double/triple-stuffed CDs during naps).  DD started going dry at night when she was 15 months old, but we still diapered for naps and nighttime for the first few months of real potty training (even though she would wake up dry).
    4. How consistent should we be? If they're using these during the day at daycare, does that mean we should on weekends too? What about when we're out running errands (or doing anything other than staying at home)? Consistency is absolutely key.  At home on weekends we used a kid-sized potty only because she refused to sit on a regular potty (even with a ring).  At DCP the "regular" potties are much smaller and she had no issues using them there.  When we were out and about we did not diaper, but brought them with us in the event that she would refuse the potty. She was, and is, really good about letting us know she has to go.  We could usually get a diaper on her before she peed if necessary. Most of the time she just held it until we got home. 
    5. How often do we need to be running him to the potty? This is a good question.  At DCP they put them on (while training) every two hours, so we followed that schedule (and sometimes we did it more often).  We had some friends over last weekend whose 3-year old boy is not trained.  I swear, in the 2.5 hours they were at our house they put him on 6 or 7 times.  I thought it was a bit much, but they know their kid and what works for him.  I'd say every hour would be a good starting point.
    6. Should I get one of those seat insert things rather than the kid-sized potty? (I would get a stool so he could stand but they're having him sit at daycare so we should probably be consistent there.). We have both.  DD1 HATED the ring and pretty much refused to use it.  Buy one and see what happens.  Our kid-sized potty had a lid that could be used as a step for handwashing and for stepping up on to a regular potty.  I can't address the sit vs stand issue as I only have girls, but I think being consistent is probably the best.

GOOD LUCK!!

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"