April 2012 Moms
Options

GTKY: Your occupation

I'm curious to know what everyone does for a living. So...

What is your occupation?

How long have you been at this job?

Do you have a degree and are you using it?

Is this the career you always thought you'd have?

Has your pregnancy affected your job in any way so far?

Will you go back to work after LO is born?

imageVisit The Nest!
Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

Re: GTKY: Your occupation

• Options
    What is your occupation? Welfare Caseworker

How long have you been at this job? 2 years

Do you have a degree and are you using it? Yes and kinda

Is this the career you always thought you'd have? NO!

Has your pregnancy affected your job in any way so far? Not yet :)

Will you go back to work after LO is born? Unfortunately, yes :(
    -----------------------------
    Penelope Lynn 5.8.2009
    Harrison Peter 4.10.2012

Check out the blog at balletandbaseball.com
    click for toddler hilarity
  • Options

What is your occupation?  Dental hygienist

How long have you been at this job?  7 years

Do you have a degree and are you using it?  Yes, I have a B.S. in dental hygiene, and I'm obviously using it.

Is this the career you always thought you'd have?  I suppose

Has your pregnancy affected your job in any way so far?  Not yet. 

Will you go back to work after LO is born?   Yes ma'am!

AlternaTickers - Cool, free Web tickers
    AlternaTickers - Cool, free Web tickers
  • Loading the player...
  • Options

What is your occupation? Domestic Engineer aka Housewife

How long have you been at this job? 1 year this month

Do you have a degree and are you using it? I have a BS in Public Relations. I worked in PR for a while and really enjoyed it. I do some freelance stuff occasionally.

Is this the career you always thought you'd have? I have always dreamed of being a SAHM, so I'll soon have my dream job hopefully.

Has your pregnancy affected your job in any way so far? I haven't been keeping things as tidy as usual because I'm so tired and crummy feeling. The cooking has been a bit lackluster also. DH doesn't mind though. He encourages me to rest as much as possible because it makes him feel better about the chances of this pregnancy.

Will you go back to work after LO is born? N/A
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • Options

What is your occupation? Senior Researcher in the genetics department at a local private university; we do large scale DNA sequencing for cancer research projects

How long have you been at this job? 4 1/2 yrs

Do you have a degree and are you using it? Bachelors in Biology and yes

Is this the career you always thought you'd have? Kind of. I wanted to get my PhD and conduct my own cancer research. Now I realize I am happy where I'm at (being a lab rat) and don't need the stress of a job like that :)

Has your pregnancy affected your job in any way so far? Fortunately, no, other than feeling a little tired in the mornings.

Will you go back to work after LO is born? Yes, although I have mixed feelings. I've always wanted to be a SAHM, but not sure if I would be happy with that or not. I love my job and my coworkers!
    imageVisit The Nest!
  • Options
    What is your occupation?  3rd Grade TeacherHow long have you been at this job? 3 years
    Do you have a degree and are you using it?  My bachelors was in Music (I have a kids choir so yes) and then my masters was el. ed... so yes! :)Is this the career you always thought you'd have? No - I wanted to be an astronaut... then I realized I sucked too much a math. hah.
    Has your pregnancy affected your job in any way so far?  Ummm.... Sadly - I can't run off to pee when I really need to.  But not so much.  Luckily - we were trying for a specific block of months so we could have a few months off, and then also the summer before heading back to school - so that worked out amazingly.  I had quite a few months that I didn't ovulate - and this was the last month that the leave really would work the way I wanted!Will you go back to work after LO is born? Yep - Probably in August of next school year!
    Lilypie Premature Baby tickers

Lilypie Pregnancy tickers
  • Options

What is your occupation? high school teacher

How long have you been at this job? six years

Do you have a degree and are you using it? B.S. in Secondary Education with a double major in English and Social Studies and minor in History. M.A. in Educational Psychology. Yes, I use them both!

Is this the career you always thought you'd have? since 3rd grade

Has your pregnancy affected your job in any way so far? My first official staff day is Wednesday and I don't have students until next Tuesday, so we shall see.

Will you go back to work after LO is born? yes. I get all holidays off plus summers so I will still get a lot of time with LO.

Emerson Kate born 4/6/12, 5 lbs. 13 oz. 18 3/4 inches.

Happily expecting Baby Mac #2 around 4/13/14

• Options

What is your occupation? Planning and Performance Management Analyst

How long have you been at this job? Current position - 1year; Been with my company for almost 6.5 years

Do you have a degree and are you using it? I have a degree in Accounting and I used it more in my previous position.

Is this the career you always thought you'd have? For the most part. I do wish I used my degree a little bit more

Has your pregnancy affected your job in any way so far? Nope!

Will you go back to work after LO is born? Yep!
  • Options

What is your occupation? I am a registered nurse in obstetrics

How long have you been at this job? 5 years

Do you have a degree and are you using it?  Yes I have my Bachelor of Science in Nursing Honours Degree

Is this the career you always thought you'd have?  No I thought I would be a doctor, I stopped short. I wish I would have kept going now. I hope to go back to school perhaps for a nurse practioner in the future.

Has your pregnancy affected your job in any way so far? Not yet but I had to go off early last time because of how physically demanding it is.

Will you go back to work after LO is born? Yes but I hope to find a new day job soon!

• Options

What is your occupation?  Teacher

How long have you been at this job?  11 years

Do you have a degree and are you using it? Yes and yes

Is this the career you always thought you'd have? Ever since I was in 2nd grade

Has your pregnancy affected your job in any way so far?  Not yet

Will you go back to work after LO is born? Yes, when baby is between 6 and 8 months.

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker BabyFetus Ticker
  • Options

What is your occupation? Mom and student

How long have you been at this job? Since March of 2011

Do you have a degree and are you using it? Working on my degree in English and Secondary Education.

Is this the career you always thought you'd have? No. I never thought I wanted to be a SAHM until I was. Now I can't imagine being anything else.

Has your pregnancy affected your job in any way so far? Yes. I am really sick and can't stand for my DD to touch my tummy. Therefore, rocking her to bed and nursing her sucks.

Will you go back to work after LO is born? The work is never ending.

i wish i could be joking but my dad is the music teacher at a church so he owuld be mad. we had sex, all the time how bad i know but we dont want to wait and he said GREAT OH KAY! and I was really feeling the wets? down there- too embarsed to say- but he acted like man.
  • Options

What is your occupation? I'm a lawyer working for the State

How long have you been at this job? 6 years

Do you have a degree and are you using it? yes

Is this the career you always thought you'd have? no

Has your pregnancy affected your job in any way so far? no

Will you go back to work after LO is born?yes
  • Options
    What is your occupation? Registered Nurse - Surgical Trauma Burn ICUHow long have you been at this job? 14 months at this position, 3 years in nursing 
    Do you have a degree and are you using it?  Yep, B.S. Marketing, diploma in Nursing.  Currently completing my RN-to-BSN throughout pregnancy!Is this the career you always thought you'd have?  More or less.  I knew I'd be in the medical field!
    Has your pregnancy affected your job in any way so far?  Yes, no more trips to Interventional Radiology.  Really watching my exposure to radiation.  12-hour shifts are a lot longer now!Will you go back to work after LO is born?  Yes, but only part-time, and night shift, ugh!  But, NO daycare!!!
    Image and video hosting by TinyPicimageImage and video hosting by TinyPic Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Options
    imagemrs_j_may_08:

What is your occupation? I am an Event Coordinator at a local university.

How long have you been at this job? Almost a year

Do you have a degree and are you using it? Yes, my BA in Visual Communications. I use it sometimes in my job, but I also do graphic design "on the side", so yes, I'm using it. I'm actually in the process of starting my own Etsy business!

Is this the career you always thought you'd have? Well, it's in the same field....I always wanted to be a wedding planner, so it's close--especially for the first job out of college.

Has your pregnancy affected your job in any way so far? Well, not really, unless you count the fact that I would rather sleep than work and would rather think about baby things than events...ha.

Will you go back to work after LO is born? No, I don't think so. I don't want to. I'm hoping to make my graphic design business bigger so I can work from home.

Son 4/27/12, Son 10/15/14, Daughter 9/29/16....Baby #4 due 10/09/19!  Apparently we get really bored in January ;)
  • Options

What is your occupation? Receptionist at a Doctors office

How long have you been at this job?  6 years in December

Do you have a degree and are you using it? No, But I am currently taking classes for  a teaching degree

Is this the career you always thought you'd have? No, I want to be a teacher

Has your pregnancy affected your job in any way so far? No

Will you go back to work after LO is born?  Yes, I wish I didnt have to though. :)

TTC since Aug 2010 DX: PCOS 3/7/2011 4/12/2011: 1st round Clomid BFP: 5/6/2011 Beta #1: 28 Beta #2:77 Beta #3: 66 :( M/C: 5/13/2011 BFP #2: 8/14/2011 Beta #1: 29. Beta #2 258.82 Beta #3 2,675 9/5/2011 Discovered Ectopic Pregnancy- Right tube removed. BFP# 3 11/11/11 Beta# 1 14dpo 83 Beta @ 22 dpo 2631! VOTE on my Name List BabyFruit Ticker "An angel in the book of life wrote down my baby's birth. Then whispered as she closed the book "too beautiful for earth". ~author unknown
  • Options

What is your occupation? Teacher

How long have you been at this job? 3 years

Do you have a degree and are you using it? Yes elementary ed and literacy ed

Is this the career you always thought you'd have? yes since I was in 2nd grade

Has your pregnancy affected your job in any way so far? havent went back yet. start sept 6th

Will you go back to work after LO is born? Yes in september (beginning of school year)

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker BFP #1 11/18/10 EDD 7/25/11 MMC 1/7/11 D&C 1/27/11 BFP #2 8/21/11 EDD 4/29/12 DD#1 4/19/12
  • Options

What is your occupation? Ultrasound Tech!

How long have you been at this job? 3 years

Do you have a degree and are you using it? Bachelors of Allied Health: concentration Sonography... yes

Is this the career you always thought you'd have? Nope, changed majors about five times

Has your pregnancy affected your job in any way so far? Yes... I scan myself a lot lol... and I run to the bathroom a lot... and I can no longer lift patients or scan them if they have something contagious.

Will you go back to work after LO is born? Yes but hopefully part time

• Options
    What is your occupation? 911 Dispatcher, Police and FireHow long have you been at this job?  3 1/2 yrs
    Do you have a degree and are you using it? I have a B.S. in Clinical/Counseling Psychology, I use it at times, but technically no. Is this the career you always thought you'd have? No, I still want to get my PhD and work in the prisons or FBI, but I honestly LOVE my job!
    Has your pregnancy affected your job in any way so far? no, and doubt it will. I get to sit and stare at 7 computer screens for 8-12hrs a day. Will you go back to work after LO is born? Yes, sooner than I'd like, but again I love what I do. 
    Wedding Countdown Ticker Lilypie Angel and Memorial tickers
  • Options

What is your occupation? Attorney

How long have you been at this job? 4 years 

Do you have a degree and are you using it? Yep!

Is this the career you always thought you'd have? No. I thought I would actually be in public relations or politics :)

Has your pregnancy affected your job in any way so far? Yes...I cannot concentrate at all and spend much more time on the Bump haha

Will you go back to work after LO is born? After my 3 month leave.

• Options

What is your occupation?  I design software to help cable & utilities customers view their statements, pay their bills online, and order new services.

How long have you been at this job? This particular company, almost 2 years.  Before that, 10 years also writing & designing software, but for banking companies.

Do you have a degree and are you using it? Yup.  Bachelor's in Computer Science.

Is this the career you always thought you'd have? Not sure.  Should've thought about it more.  I'm an analyst now.

Has your pregnancy affected your job in any way so far?  Nope.

Will you go back to work after LO is born?  Don't know.  We live off my husband's income (even though mine is higher).  I'll either work part time (if my company allows it AND if my sister agrees to be my babysitter) or I'll be a SAHM.  I'd like to do the part-time thing for year, til the next one comes along because that means we'll have paid off our mortgage completely. 

• Options

What is your occupation? SAHM

How long have you been at this job? Just over 10 months

Do you have a degree and are you using it? No and no

Is this the career you always thought you'd have? Yes!  Since I was a little girl I've always wanted to do this. :)

Has your pregnancy affected your job in any way so far? Oh yeah.  It's a lot harder taking care of two kids 24/7 when you are throwing up and feeling like general crap!

Will you go back to work after LO is born? Since I don't really get any "maternity leave" or vacation time from this job, I'll be going back to work right away.  Pretty much the minute I get home from the hospital.

• Options

What is your occupation? Stay at home mommy!

How long have you been at this job? 14 months

Do you have a degree and are you using it? Yes, I have a B.S. in Biology...I like that I took a class in fetal development!

Is this the career you always thought you'd have? I always hoped for it, but I do love Genetics so hopefully one day I can get back into it.

Has your pregnancy affected your job in any way so far? Just made me more tired, but at least I can nap with my DS!

Will you go back to work after LO is born? The "work" never stops for me!

DS born 6/16/10. Natural m/c on 10/3/11 @ 10w4d Lilypie Third Birthday tickers Lilypie Pregnancy tickers
  • Options

What is your occupation? Med tech

How long have you been at this job? Since graduation, 2005

Do you have a degree and are you using it? Yep, I have a BS in medical laboratory science

Is this the career you always thought you'd have? Since I first heard about it in high school, yes. I wanted to work in a hospital, but not with patients

Has your pregnancy affected your job in any way so far? Nope, didn't at all last time (besides the crappy carpal tunnel)

Will you go back to work after LO is born? Yes, too much trouble to keep up certification and skills otherwise. I went from full time to per diem after DD and will stay per diem until the kids are in school
    Lilypie Third Birthday tickers
    Lilypie First Birthday tickers

• Options

What is your occupation? teacher grade 3/4

How long have you been at this job?  6 years

Do you have a degree and are you using it?  yes

Is this the career you always thought you'd have? yes

Has your pregnancy affected your job in any way so far? nope today was my first day back!

Will you go back to work after LO is born?  yes after a year off, hopefully part time after our second child.

• Options

What is your occupation? HS English and journalism teacher

How long have you been at this job? This is my second year (second career)

Do you have a degree and are you using it? Yes, and yes. I've got a dual BA in journalism and political science and a Master of Education.

Is this the career you always thought you'd have? No. It is better than what I thought I'd do.

Has your pregnancy affected your job in any way so far? I use the restroom more between my classes

Will you go back to work after LO is born? Yes. I will go back the beginning of August when school starts back up

imageimageimage
  • Options
    What is your occupation?  Right now I'm waiting to start training for a job @ Old NavyHow long have you been at this job?  Well, no time yet lol
    Do you have a degree and are you using it?  I have a BA in English with a minor in Psychology. Old Navy has a career track for those w/ a BA so I may use it eventually...Is this the career you always thought you'd have? Hell to the no!
    Has your pregnancy affected your job in any way so far?  It's made me not sure if I'll return right away afterwards and it made me put off further schooling. :( Will you go back to work after LO is born?   Not sure!

Lilypie Second Birthday tickers Lilypie Angel and Memorial tickers Daisypath Anniversary tickers
  • Options

What is your occupation? SPED teacher

How long have you been at this job? Starting 11 years

Do you have a degree and are you using it? Yes and no

Is this the career you always thought you'd have? NO

Has your pregnancy affected your job in any way so far? Hard to teach when you're trying not to vomit on the students.  I also leave around 3:30-4:00 not after 4:30 like I did before.

Will you go back to work after LO is born? No, I'm changing careers. 

• Options

What is your occupation? Director of Clinical Microbiology Laboratory & Specimen Acquisition Laboratory (the phlebotomists who draw your blood)

How long have you been at this job? 1 year

Do you have a degree and are you using it? Yeah, I have 2 of them plus 4 licenses/certifications/boards. I have 21 letters behind my name and I use every one of them.

Is this the career you always thought you'd have? I always knew I'd be in sciences, but not in this exact profession.

Has your pregnancy affected your job in any way so far? I'm better about wearing gloves & masks when handling infectious agents.

Will you go back to work after LO is born? Yes. It took 11 years of education to get there and after 1 year, I'm not ready to throw in the towel. I have been entertaining the idea of being a SAHM, but my husband said I'd go crazy, and he's probably right. Besides, as WildcatPrincess said, there's way too much to keep up with in the field to take a long absence. I am hoping to stretch my FMLA and be out 2 months fully, and then go back part time for 2 months.

• Options

What is your occupation?  Attorney (pro bono)

How long have you been at this job?  2 years

Do you have a degree and are you using it?  Yes - Juris Doctor, not using my Master in Health Administration like I hoped to though.

Is this the career you always thought you'd have?   Yes, but it's definitely not what I hoped it would be.  I should have stuck with my space cowgirl career track from when I was 5. 

Has your pregnancy affected your job in any way so far?   Nope.  I work at home, so I've got my own private toilet for my frequent potty breaks. 

Will you go back to work after LO is born?  Yes, but with a firm that has flexibility in work schedules - Haha!  Flexibility and firm don't belong in the same sentence. 
  • Options

What is your occupation?  Program/Project Manager

How long have you been at this job?  3 yrs in this group, 6 yrs at this company doing similar work

Do you have a degree and are you using it?  Yes, BS/MS in Industrial Engineering.  Kind of - I am running technical/engineering programs, but I'm not doing traditional IE work.

Is this the career you always thought you'd have?   Since HS, yes. 

Has your pregnancy affected your job in any way so far?  Well, about to break the news to the boss that I need to limit my travel for awhile.  My job has me traveling all over the world over the next year - so that will have to change.  When I told my Dr. about Asia, she gave me a 'you're crazy' look, so I'm guessing I'll be limited to the continental US/Europe.

Will you go back to work after LO is born?  The million dollar question . . . I dont think I can do my job effectively while prioritizing my family.  At the same time, I'm not sure I can stay home all day. . . so I'm not sure what I'll do.  In an ideal world, I could convince my employer that I am awesome, and work 20-30 hrs per week, like M,T,Th, or something like that.  I'm not sure it will happen, but we have been meeting with our financial advisor to start planning for 1 income salary in the event I decide to quit/change jobs.

• Options

What is your occupation? I am a speech-language pathologist but last year I stopped clinical practice to get a PhD in it.  So now I work mostly as a research assistant How long have you been at this job? I was an SLP for 6 years and I've been a research assistant for 1
    Do you have a degree and are you using it? I have an MA and I use it everydayIs this the career you always thought you'd have? I always loved languages and working with children so yes
    Has your pregnancy affected your job in any way so far? Not yetWill you go back to work after LO is born?  I'm not sure what I will do yet.  I am determined to finish the PhD but I might have to take a leave for a semester
  • Options

What is your occupation? Real estate paralegal

How long have you been at this job? 7 years and I've been in the industry for 11 years.

Do you have a degree and are you using it? No. I worked my way up in my first law firm.

Is this the career you always thought you'd have? I had planned on becoming a lawyer but due to medical and financial issues I didn't continue my education and went to work instead.

Has your pregnancy affected your job in any way so far? I feel really out of it a lot of the time and I've been forgetting little things. I'm also trying really hard not to be a workaholic so much, cutting back on overtime and requesting assistance. Unfortunately, my work place does not have a good reputation for being respectful of employees during pregnancy, while on their maternity leave and then once they return to work and are trying to find a work/life balance.

Will you go back to work after LO is born? I am not planning on going back to this firm, and I am hoping to find a way to freelance from home, work part-time or at least finding a more flexible firm.
  • Options

What is your occupation? Bank Teller

How long have you been at this job? 6 Months

Do you have a degree and are you using it? I have my AA and am working on my BA, neither matter for current job.

Is this the career you always thought you'd have? Ha, definitely not! Around the first of the year I should start as a substitute teacher.

Has your pregnancy affected your job in any way so far? Yes, I've had to call in sick twice so far because of my inability to stop throwing up in the morning.

Will you go back to work after LO is born? Yes, but probably not to the bank, probably to subbing until I finish my degree, then teaching.
  • Options

What is your occupation? Speech Language Pathologist for an Elementary and Middle School

How long have you been at this job? This is my second year

Do you have a degree and are you using it? Yes, a masters in communication, and sort of!

Is this the career you always thought you'd have? No, I wanted to be a community college professor, but the job market in that area is pretty bad right now.

Has your pregnancy affected your job in any way so far? Yes, I'm SO tired.  There are days I wish I could just lock the door and lay and the floor and take a nap! My office is also EXTREMELY messy, wow!

Will you go back to work after LO is born? Yes. I'd love to be a SAHM, but my hubby is a teacher too.  ;) BUT, we will have lots of time off together as a family, which will be really special. 

• Options
    imagemrs_j_may_08:

What is your occupation? I am a primary school teacher.

How long have you been at this job? This is my 9th year in the classroom...gosh, where has the time gone!

Do you have a degree and are you using it? Yes I am!

Is this the career you always thought you'd have? Yes, since HS as least

Has your pregnancy affected your job in any way so far? Not yet 

Will you go back to work after LO is born? Probably.  I would like to avoid it but not sure that is going to be a possibility.  

• Options
    What is your occupation?  Pastry ChefHow long have you been at this job?  5 years in this careerDo you have a degree and are you using it?  Yep, I have an AOS in Baking in Pastry from The Culinary Institute of America.  I also have an AAS in Health Information Technology.Is this the career you always thought you'd have?   I love baking, but didn't really think of it as my career for a while.Has your pregnancy affected your job in any way so far?  Not really.  I am co-owner of my own business, so I get set my own hours and a lot of my work is done at home.  But being on my feet for several hours at a time makes me sooooo tired!Will you go back to work after LO is born?  Yea, the business is just getting off the ground (good timing, eh?) so I'll be working up until I possibly can't anymore and probably getting back into it not long after.
    Image and video hosting by TinyPicImage and video hosting by TinyPic Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Options

What is your occupation? Electrical Engineer

How long have you been at this job?  7 Years

Do you have a degree and are you using it? Yes and Yes

Is this the career you always thought you'd have? Pretty much

Has your pregnancy affected your job in any way so far? Other than having to occasionally take snacks to meetings with me so I don't get sick, no.

Will you go back to work after LO is born? Yes

• Options

What is your occupation? High school math teacher

How long have you been at this job? This is year 10

Do you have a degree and are you using it? Yep, two actually, Bach and Masters

Is this the career you always thought you'd have? No

Has your pregnancy affected your job in any way so far? My first day is today so I guess I'll find out soon.

Will you go back to work after LO is born? Yes

Married 6-7-08
    Everett 4-27-12
    Pregnancy Ticker
  • Options

What is your occupation? special education teacher

How long have you been at this job?  this is my second year teaching

Do you have a degree and are you using it? I'm using my Master's degree which is in special education, but not my bachelor's which is in English education.

Is this the career you always thought you'd have? Not at all. Things worked out way differently than I ever planned, but I love the place I'm in now. I always wanted to work in book publishing growing up.

Has your pregnancy affected your job in any way so far? I definitely slack more than I should and my motivation level is low. I also have some aggressive kids that I try to stay away from and let the aides handle when they're like that.

Will you go back to work after LO is born? Yes. I'd love to stay home, but it's just not realistic. At least my hours are great as a teacher.
    Lilypie Second Birthday tickers

Lilypie Maternity tickers
  • Options
    Investor relations for a hedge fund I am about to start my 3rd year here Double major in Finance and Marketing - I worked in finance for 7 years before this job Not what I thought but I really like it No effect of pregnancy I will go back to work
    Kellen 4.27.12 Miller 6.30.13 Baby #3 edd 9.7.15
  • Options

What is your occupation? team lead at an insurance company

How long have you been at this job? over 4 years

Do you have a degree and are you using it?  no degree for me

Is this the career you always thought you'd have? not really. I never was able to pin down what I wanted to do. I was going to start taking classes again this semester to get into radiology, but with the BFP, I wasn't sure if I could juggle school, work and that at once.

Has your pregnancy affected your job in any way so far? Not really. I have to leave for work a little earlier in the morning in case I have to make a pit stop to toss my cookies along the way.

Will you go back to work after LO is born? Yeah, most definitely will be

BFP #1 8/1/11, MMC 10/5/11, D&C 11/1/11
     BFP #2 5/28/13, EDD 1/17/14. Elliott - 12/31/13
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"