Baby Showers
Options

help settle this issue please

my mom is throwing me a small shower (20 guests) this sunday, it will be at noon and buffet style. She ordered appetizers and meals and dessert. She called me today after a co worker of hers suggested that the appetizers and meal come out at the same time otherwise people will fill up on app's thinking there isn't more food coming. I think thats crazy, the time frame that is planned is as follows:

noon shower starts; 12:30 apps come out; 1:00 meals come out and then gifts and dessert. 

Personally I think its kinda tacky to put all the food at once out, seems rushed to me. By the time people walk up get some apps and sit down and have a beverage it won't be long before the meals are put out. With my hormones out of wack this turned into a big disagreement, I left it at, it's tacky but do what you want. ughh am I wrong in thinking app's should be a little ahead of a meal?? be honest, I'm hormonal but I won't yell at you thru a computer LOL  

Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml

Re: help settle this issue please

• Options
    Tell your mom's co-worker to mind her own business.  Putting food out all at once is silly; it will get cold quickly and anyone who doesn't arrive promptly will be out of luck.  Your mom's plan is right (I work a side job in catering, if that gives me any credibility on the subject).
  • Options
    lol I said that to her, that her co worker needs to but out and maybe my mom shouldnt be telling her the details since they've already been planned out. thanks for your reply!! I agree, the food would get cold and its just in bad taste overall
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • Loading the player...
  • Options
    You and your mom are right, though if there are any cold or room temp appetizers, I could have those out right at noon for the on-time guests.

Oscar born October 2011

Miscarriage at 8 weeks (August 2013)

DD due September 1, 2014

BabyFruit Ticker

• Options

I wouldn't call it "tacky", but it doesn't make any sense.  what's the point of having appetizers if the meal is going to come out at the same time?!  The whole point of apps is to give people something to munch on to quell their hunger until the meal comes.

All she has to do is say "Hey- the apps are here!  The main meal will be served in a 1/2 hour", then people will know.

"Beer is living proof that God loves us and wants us to be happy."
    ~Benjamin Franklin

Lilypie Third Birthday tickers
    DS dx with celiac disease 5/28/10

• Options
    Stick with the plan. If people fill up on appetizers that is their problem.
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker image.
  • Options
    imageEastCoastBride:

I wouldn't call it "tacky", but it doesn't make any sense.  what's the point of having appetizers if the meal is going to come out at the same time?!  The whole point of apps is to give people something to munch on to quell their hunger until the meal comes.

All she has to do is say "Hey- the apps are here!  The main meal will be served in a 1/2 hour", then people will know.

This!

Lilypie First Birthday tickers
  • Options

I host a LOT of parties (and showers).  Although I've never had apps at a shower I always have them at family parties (about 30 people).  People all don't come at the same time (there are ALWAYS stragglers.  If I were your mom I would have the apps out when the first guests arrive at noon...she needs to just tell everyone when they come that there are appetizers out if they would like some and the meal will be in about an hour.  That way they can have some apps (if they want) but will know that there is still a meal coming.

I would not put everything out at once.

• Options
    The whole point of an appetizer is to come out before the meal. You have a schedule put in place. Tell her coworker to worry about her own things and leave YOUR baby shower alone.
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"