1st Trimester
Options

Anyone here have BFP's that took a while to get darker?

A few days ago my sister got a faint BFP on an FRER well, the next morning the line looked a little bit darker, def not a squinter line.  That same evening she took another test and it was slightly lighter, but still there.  Today her tests are still positive, but not getting darker.  She sent me a pic and I can def see the line, but its not dark. 

I feel really bad for her, but her and I are both thinking maybe its a chemical PG.  I know some out there say a line is a line, but Im not sure I always believe that.  In my experience, the lines do get darker as the days go on and the HCG level increases.  This was their first month trying and Ive never concieved naturally so I dont know if its any different.  She is around 13-15 dpo today and from my experience, I had pretty significant BFP's on FRER's at this point.  What do you think? 

As a side note, with my chemical I never got dark BFP's, just super faint ones that gradually faded....

Severe MFI resulting in IVF/ICSI #1 in Nov 2007. BFP!!
Our beautiful son was born July 2008.
2010: 2 IVF's,1 FET = 2 BFN's, 1 c/p :(
Feb 2011-Unmedicated FET= BFP!! DS #2 born Oct 2011!!.

Lilypie Fourth Birthday tickers

Lilypie First Birthday tickers

Re: Anyone here have BFP's that took a while to get darker?

• Options

With my 2nd, I got a very faint BFP on a Sunday. Took another test on Wednesday, still faint. Took another test on Saturday, still light. It only got dark 10 days after my first BFP. My DH didnt even believe I was pregnant.

With my 1st, I didnt even get a BFP until 15dpo (and I know exactly when I O'd).

The darkness of lines doesnt tell you how viable the pregnancy is. If you have even the slightest amount of the hormone in your system, it will result in a BFP.

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Options

Pregnancy tests are qualitative, not quantitative.  The darkness of the line can be influenced by a number of factors from the concentration of the urine, the amount of dye in the individual test, the amount of liquid applied.  It does not tell you whether or not hcg is doubling at the correct rate.

If she's concerned, she should call her doctor and request a beta-hcg series; that's the only way to know for certain.

That said, my anecdotal experience is the same; the successful pregnancies have had tests that get darker, the unsuccessful pregnancies (ectopic, chemical) took longer to get darker or never got beyond a faint positive.  But again, it's not at all a reliable indicator and I wouldn't rely on it to be one.

Gabriel Ross - August 24, 2009 * Vivienne Rose - May 1, 2012

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
    My Blog

• Loading the player...
  • Options
    I know every one is different but in my experience with my first pregnancy the lines were light but definitely there, I was worried bc they werent getting darker but everyone assured me a line is a line... Unfortunately a couple days later it did turn out to be a CP... I hope this isn't the case for your sister, wishing her the best :)
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • Options
    For me, the line was light for a couple days before it got darker.  I hope that is the case for her, too!
    Lots of love to my BFPB, Squishy622 <3

photo 544b4365-b9ee-4805-ba08-f19896d25dae_zpsd8a0debb.jpgphoto ed61c23b-2bf9-4622-b870-072ac0970775_zpsa90b2a73.jpg

• Options
    imageeasjer05:

Pregnancy tests are qualitative, not quantitative.  The darkness of the line can be influenced by a number of factors from the concentration of the urine, the amount of dye in the individual test, the amount of liquid applied.  It does not tell you whether or not hcg is doubling at the correct rate.

If she's concerned, she should call her doctor and request a beta-hcg series; that's the only way to know for certain.

That said, my anecdotal experience is the same; the successful pregnancies have had tests that get darker, the unsuccessful pregnancies (ectopic, chemical) took longer to get darker or never got beyond a faint positive.  But again, it's not at all a reliable indicator and I wouldn't rely on it to be one.

She plans to call her doc in a few days if its not getting darker and request a few beta tests.  Can I ask how quickly they discovered yours was ectopic?  Thats the main thing Im worried about with her.  I mean, the chemical is obviously dissapointing, but the ectopic is much more serious....

• Options
    I got a very faint BFP at 9 DPO with this pregnancy and it took several days for the lines to get any darker.  Which was suprising because I tested positive SO early so obviously I had a decent amount of hormones already.  I think each person is different-a BFP is a BFP.
    BabyFetus Ticker
  • Options
    imageHappycouple:

She plans to call her doc in a few days if its not getting darker and request a few beta tests.  Can I ask how quickly they discovered yours was ectopic?  Thats the main thing Im worried about with her.  I mean, the chemical is obviously dissapointing, but the ectopic is much more serious....

My ectopic was a really bizarre situation, so it's not great to go by.  My positive test arrived with my period, and faint positive tests persisted throughout a full period.  The initial beta was low, but it continued to climb abnormally.  It took a total of 7 weeks (I was 9 w 'pregnant' though we knew it wasn't normal and had no expectations of a good outcome), with a pelvic u/s showing completely normal for a non-pregnant woman at 7 weeks pregnant.  It's worth noting, I had a very rare form of ectopic pregnancy (cervical), and that explains some of the delay in diagnosis. 

If she has a strange beta series, her docs will closely monitor her until they can figure out what is happening.  Close monitoring will mean that even if it is ectopic it should be diagnosed and treated long before mine was.  And they are easy to treat these days (not that it's fun or anything) with methotrexate, which means minimal damage and usually no surgery required.

Gabriel Ross - August 24, 2009 * Vivienne Rose - May 1, 2012

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
    My Blog

• Options
    imageeasjer05:

This. Yes

BabyFruit Ticker
  • Options
    Is she using the same tests?  Mine never got darker.  I used an Equate test and got a faint + at 9-11 dpo.  I didn't believe it so I used a digital and dollar store the next day.  Digital said +, dollar store was super faint.  Next day, dollar store was still super faint.  I went out and got some Answers and it was darker in the evening than it was the next morning.  I called my OB for betas and they really weren't anything to get excited about, but my betas doubled in well under 48 hours and my levels were within the appropriate range (barely above avg).  Saw the HB at 6.5 weeks, so far so good.
    DS1 age 7, DD age 5 and DS2 born 4/3/12
  • Options
    Took me 18 dpo to get my BFP with an early response test. Surprised me because 6 years ago with my DD my BFP showed up super early on a cheapie Dollar Tree test. who knows....
    BabyFruit Ticker Daisypath Anniversary tickers Lilypie - Personal pictureLilypie Kids Birthday tickers
  • Options

imageshouldbworkin:
    Is she using the same tests?  Mine never got darker.  I used an Equate test and got a faint + at 9-11 dpo.  I didn't believe it so I used a digital and dollar store the next day.  Digital said +, dollar store was super faint.  Next day, dollar store was still super faint.  I went out and got some Answers and it was darker in the evening than it was the next morning.  I called my OB for betas and they really weren't anything to get excited about, but my betas doubled in well under 48 hours and my levels were within the appropriate range (barely above avg).  Saw the HB at 6.5 weeks, so far so good.

Yep--she is using FRER...

• Options
    I got a faint line Saturday night and then took two tests that came up neg. on Sunday morning. I got a positive digi Sunday night, and then after that the FRERs did get progressively darker as I took them a few days apart. But there is some variation among tests, even from the same package, and your urine might be more diluted at one point than another. I thought it was a chemical pg when FMU turned up a negative result after getting a positive the afternoon before, but it is definitely a viable pregnancy. Saw the heartbeat last week.
  • Options

I got a darker line at 5 weeks than I did at 8. It's about the dyes in the test, not how pregnant you are.

Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"