Special Needs
Options

seizure disorder and school

DS is starting school this year.  I've been in contact with his nurse and teacher.  We have a written protocol from the neurologist and a script for the PRN Diastat.  Is there anything I'm forgetting anything?

Re: seizure disorder and school

• Options

You may want to check about who is allowed to give him the diastat. In some states I guess there is some controversy about that. In California there is some bill being pushed to allow more people to give it.

Also, if you are interested, the Epilepsy Foundation has information about educating classmates and teachers about epilepsy, so if your LO has a seizure, they will not be scared and know how to best help him.

Hope you and your LO have a great first day of school! :)

• Options

imageFloraK8:
    educating classmates and teachers about epilepsy, so if your LO has a seizure, they will not be scared and know how to best help him.

::lurker butting in::

As a teacher I would suggest this provided both you and your LO are comfortable doing so.  I'd talk about what the kids might see/hear should something happen and what they can do to "help" (even if that means they help by going to the other side of the room to give your LO and the adults space).

I had a student last year who was on an insulin pump (not quite the same thing), but one morning his mom and our school nurse came in and did a whole presentation and he showed the kids how he changed his pump site and answered questions the kids had etc.  It really helped everyone...myself included even though I'd already talked to his mom numerous times!

Have a wonderful start to the year!

::butting out::

Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"