Pre-School and Daycare
Options

DD "passed" her ballet school interview today

I have very mixed feelings about this. On the one hand- yay! DD loves ballet and I'm so excited to switch her to a school where the tuition is 1/2 of what it was for her previous ballet class AND is closer to home (walking distance).

On the other hand- boo about the kids who left the ballet school without a spot this afternoon. I understand that at this age it isn't about talent or ability. The "interview" was purely about whether the child seemed interested and mature enough to take a solo class for 60 minutes (mothers are not allowed in the room at all). DD definitely is, or I wouldn't have tried to sign her up. But there's this black cloud feeling in me about this just being the start of ridiculous-life-competitiveness.

Photobucket Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

Re: DD "passed" her ballet school interview today

• Options
    Eww that would rub me the wrong way and I would find a different school. This is dd third year in ballet and she has never had a parent in the doom and no try our necessary.
  • Options
    hmm, I am mixed about this.  We had a disastrous ballet experience this summer.  DD just wasn't mature enough to handle the independent class yet.  I was horrified when I got to watch the class on parent's day.  My DD was making the class very difficult for the teacher and the other kids.  If I would have been one of the other parents I would have been upset that the class was being disrupted so much!  Needless to say, we decided to wait until next year when she is four to try.  So, I do like that we could have been "screened" and saved time and money since she was not ready.  On the other hand, I feel bad for the kiddos that didn't get chosen. 
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • Loading the player...
  • Options

Eeks! I can't believe they "interview" 3-4yrs olds to get a spot for ballet class! Have all the kids taken a ballet class before and know what it actually entails? It sounds like they don't even give the kids a chance before turning them away. Is it some elite ballet school like on dance moms? DD has been to 3 dance schools so far and I've always been able to sign them up. If a kid acts disinterested or doesn't participate in class-they will just send them back to their parents.  

Lilypie Third Birthday tickers Lilypie Fifth Birthday tickers
  • Options

I was in competitive dance growing up (enrolled at 18 months) and it sucked.  So I guess I would want to make sure that isn't the type of environment your daughter being exposed too.  That would be the only reason why I would worry.  With that said it doesn't sound like that sort of thing at all.  

I think like you said they just want serious students (not those who will crumple in a corner the minute they get there distracting the class).  At this age the independence of kids vary widely.  It sounds like they are pretty wise to filter everyone.  After all a miserable ballerina doesn't help anyone (including the miserable child).  Kids who are not ready to do this could do programs like you were in that are more parent involved. 

Mom to Harmon 1/17/08 and twins Rachel & Callum 8/28/09 Photobucket 29o0v13.jpg
  • Options

I think it depends on whether this is your standard "Tammy's Tap & Twirl" kind of place or the ballet school attached to a professional ballet company.

My experience was with professional company schools and they definitely start early.  There may be a year end recital but usually there are no costumes or fluff so I could see them wanting to see who is ready for the structure of class.

I would see how your daughter does, if she likes it, etc.  I started ballet when I was 2 (creative movement class) and danced in to my early twenties for professional ballet companies.  It can be an amazing experience - if it's what your LO wants.

Good luck! 

My twins are 5! My baby is 3!

DS#2 - Allergic to Cashew, Pistachio, Kiwi

DS#3 - Allergic to Milk, Egg, Peanut, Tree Nuts and Sesame

• Options
    imageluvmagoldn:

I think it depends on whether this is your standard "Tammy's Tap & Twirl" kind of place or the ballet school attached to a professional ballet company.

My experience was with professional company schools and they definitely start early.  There may be a year end recital but usually there are no costumes or fluff so I could see them wanting to see who is ready for the structure of class.

I would see how your daughter does, if she likes it, etc.  I started ballet when I was 2 (creative movement class) and danced in to my early twenties for professional ballet companies.  It can be an amazing experience - if it's what your LO wants.

Good luck! 

Agreeing with all of this

Ballet, like gymnastics, is one of those things that if you want to learn it correctly and really immerse yourself in the discipline and extensive training, you want to go to a BALLET school (IMO), not a fun dance school.  If this is a real ballet school and your daughter is interested and serious, I think it can be an invaluable experience for her.  I traveled around the country and to Denmark during the summers during high school to dance at the schools of professional ballet companies.  These experiences and training were life changing for me.  

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"