Pregnant after 35
Options

RHOGAM shot for RH- moms...

I'm just curious what others have to say about getting this shot.  I'm RH- and have been told I need to have this shot once while pregnant and then again after delivery.  I've been doing some research and I've read that it really isn't necessary to have the shot during pregnancy and that it can actually be harmful.  I understand why I need it after delivery, but do I really need one now?  Can any other RH- moms out there lend some advice or experience?  I appreciate it!
Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

Re: RHOGAM shot for RH- moms...

• Options
    I am RH- and so is my mother.  You need the shot at 28 weeks just in case you go into pre-term labor I believe.  I have never heard about any harmful side effects and my mother had it with me and my sister, and she had no side effects. 
    IVF#1 May 2011 15 Eggs Retrieved, 11 Fertilized using ICSI + HPT on 6/9/11 Beta #1 420 Beta #2 2167 US 7/1 TWINS!! Due 2/18/2012 Brooke and Nora born at 35.6 weeks Jan 20th 2012
  • Options

I meant to click on PAIF, but since I'm here, I'll bite :)

It is important that you get the Rhogam shot at 28 weeks AND after delivery. Having both shots will provide increased protection against sensitization. Most people talk about Rh incompatibility being more of an issue with your second child than your first. While this may be true, should your and your baby's blood mix during delivery and you don't have the shot, there is still a chance that your baby could die. I have a family member who didn't have the Rhogam shot during pregnancy and her baby died after delivery due to blood mixing during the birth.

Yes, the risk of blood mixing is low during pregnancy so I can see why some people may question getting the shot at 28 weeks, but I still think the benefit  outweighs the risk to your child. I think most, if not all, Rhogam injections have had Thimerisol (mercury) removed from them. Just ask your doctor if you're unsure.

Also, be careful where you are getting your research from. Googling and reading alarmist articles by people who are poorly educated on the subject and usually extremists when it comes to rejecting modern science, are not good information resources. I don't follow blindly - I am a crunchy momma who takes a more natural approach with a lot of things in life and with my own family. Rhogam, however, is definitely something I decided to take. :)

Good luck with your decision.

Me: 35 I DH: 38
    *TW loss and children mentioned*
    DD:2006 | Dx: Unexplained Secondary Infertility | DS: 2011

TFAS since 2012

Oct 16: Spontaneous BFP | m/c @ 9w1d (massive SCH) | D&C
    Apr 17: IUI #1 = BFN
    May 17: IUI #2 = BFN
    Jun 17: IUI #3 = Late BFP (18 DPO) | NMC 17Jul17 @ ~6w
    Aug 17: IUI #4 = Cancelled due to premature ovulation | TI = BFN
    Sep 17: IUI #5 = Cancelled due to overstimulation (10+ follies)
    Nov 17: IVF #1 = Cancelled due to non-IF related health issue | TI = BFN
    Dec 17: IVF #1 = Puregon 200, Menopur 75, Orgalutran, Suprefact trigger due to OHSS risk | 22R, 18M, 16F, 10B frozen  
    Feb 18: FET #1 (medicated) = BFN
    Mar 18: FET #2 (natural cycle) = CP (beta 1: 54; beta 2: 0)
    Apr 18: FET #3 (natural cycle) = cancelled due to missed ovulation
    Apr 18: FET #3 (natural cycle) = BFP! Beta 1: 201  Beta 2: 585 Beta 3: 3254 Beta 4: 9715 U/S 19May - one bean measuring on track with a HB of 125!
    EDD: 07Jan2019 Team Green
    My Rainbow Baby Boy born 03Jan2019 <3 

• Loading the player...
  • Options
    I am RH- too, and have had the shot before. It's modern science that has saved many babies so I am not hesitating to use it. My OB is so sure of it that he decided not even to test my husband's blood and just give me the shots regardless.
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker BabyFruit Ticker
  • Options
    I will be getting it at my next appt, at 30 weeks. It's not something I want to risk.
    b/w=FSH 15.6, AMH 0.4 surprise natural BFP on 3/12/11
    DS born via unplanned C-section at 40w6d

• Options

imagefish000:
    I am RH- too, and have had the shot before. It's modern science that has saved many babies so I am not hesitating to use it. My OB is so sure of it that he decided not even to test my husband's blood and just give me the shots regardless.

Same with me.  The new Rhogam (called Rhophylac) has no preservatives (so no thimerosol), so no worries from that.  And the new one can be administered in the arm, so no shot in the rear and worries about hitting the sciatic nerve.

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Options
    For all of you RH -ve mommies (I just found out yesterday that I'm in this category as well), were you told to call your Dr immediately if you had any spotting or bleeding?  My MW told me yesterday that I have priority access to her 24hr pager because of my RH -ve staus.

Image and video hosting by TinyPic Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Pregnancy Ticker
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"