Pre-School and Daycare

For those lost on how to teach reading...

A while back I posted questions everywhere looking for help in teaching reading.

If you've got no clue where to start I highly recommend the BOB books.

We'd tried them once before but apparently he just wasn't ready.  This last time we picked them up and it all just clicked.

They start out insanely easy so you can help them sound out the words.  He thought the stories were funny and was SO proud that he could "read a whole book by myself!"

They're numbered so that they build naturally towards more challenging words.

We did level 1 and 2 and then all of a sudden he was just reading books by himself.

It was much less work than I expected it to be.  We still have to work on some sight words but he's doing really well sounding things out and I really doubt he'd be where he is if it wasn't for the BOB books...

https://www.bobbooks.com/

Our IF journey: 1 m/c, 1 IVF with only 3 eggs retrieved yielding Dylan and a lost twin, 1 shocker unmedicated BFP resulting in Jace, 3 more unmedicated pregnancies ending in more losses.
Total score: 6 pregnancies, 5 losses, 2 amazing blessings that I'm thankful for every single day.

Re: For those lost on how to teach reading...

• Is that for your older son? (please say yes! ha ha!)
    How to tell my boys apart

The different types of twins and triplets

Jack, Sydney and Carynne, Annaleigh, JW, Eden...forever in our hearts.
    My blog * We made the national news!
  • Yup, the older one.

The younger one is sounding out words with help but the light bulb hasn't clicked yet so he's not full on reading.

But... he's probably far from the norm.

The up (or down) side of having kids super close in age is that the younger one is always hanging around while you're teaching the older one so he's done almost everything much much earlier than his older brother due to simple exposure.

Our IF journey: 1 m/c, 1 IVF with only 3 eggs retrieved yielding Dylan and a lost twin, 1 shocker unmedicated BFP resulting in Jace, 3 more unmedicated pregnancies ending in more losses.
    Total score: 6 pregnancies, 5 losses, 2 amazing blessings that I'm thankful for every single day.
  • Loading the player...
  • That's interesting.

What is the "normal" age for kids to be reading? I just have no idea. And my boys just started at a French immersion school, so I wonder if that will make them read a bit later. 

How to tell my boys apart

The different types of twins and triplets

Jack, Sydney and Carynne, Annaleigh, JW, Eden...forever in our hearts.
    My blog * We made the national news!
  • imagepea-kay:

What is the "normal" age for kids to be reading?

I would guess somewhere between 3 and 6.

I know our kindergarden expects them to be reading independently by the end of the K school year.

• We just got the 1st set of bob books not that long ago. We haven't had a chance to use them that much yet. DD was reading a couple of the books by herself within the first couple days though. So far it seems like a great set!
    Lilypie Third Birthday tickers Lilypie Fifth Birthday tickers
  • I just bought a couple of sets at Costco. I'm going to use them for a couple of kids I tutor, and hopefully use them in about a year or so for my own kids. :)  I really like them-they are simple and perfect for beginning readers. 
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"