3rd Trimester
Options

DH lost his job... (vent.. possibly long)

So I'm sitting here waiting for him to come back from that awful meeting.. and I know I need to try and be strong for him... but being so hormonal isn't helping right now. I have never felt so helpless in my entire life.. I have no idea what we are going to do...

Let me give you a brief summary of the past year or so..

Last November.. he received a job offer down in FL.. He had to be down there for 6 months for training without me.. I was able to fly down a few weekends but that was it.  We found out we were pregnant in Feb. and we planned a wedding for May. My nana passed away 2 weeks before my wedding (I was about 16 or 17 weeks pregnant at the time).. We got married in MA where I was living with my mom/dad/brothers ... a week after we got married we drove down to FL with all our things packed up in a Uhaul/minivan.. plus a 60lb dog. We broke down 3 separate times along I-95 and ended up towing the van down with the uhaul.. lovely.

We finally made it down to FL June 1st... got all settled in to our new place.. all of my baby shower items have been either shipped here or are in transit now... my family booked a flight down for next week for my 26th bday.. and they are planning on bringing more of the baby's stuff for us (I still havent' told them what happened) ...

We have finally established ourselves down here.. and now it seems like everything has been completely tossed out the window.. All that time invested and money spent for what??

Our main concern is that we will have to pay more money for health insurance (I think DH mentioned COBRA) ... and not only that.. the apt. complex we are living at now is going to be too expensive with DH losing his job... so right now I feel so overwhelmed all I want to do is cry.. but I can't show DH how upset I am yet because he is the one who needs support right now the most...

I know that God works in mysterious ways but man.. this one is tough to figure out... :-/

Sorry this is so long.. I needed to get it off my chest... thanks for reading ladies

Daisypath Happy Birthday tickers Lilypie Pregnancy tickers

Re: DH lost his job... (vent.. possibly long)

• Options
    We are going through the same thing with verizon being on strike. We have been so stressed out but just tell your family and they will give you so much support. That's what's been keeping us sane now.
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • Options
    I am so sorry you are going through this.  How terrible!  Is your DH in a field that has a lot of opportunities?  Also, I know exactly how you feel about not being able to show how upset you are so you can support him emotionally.  Please vent away here- sometimes you just need to get it out.
  • Loading the player...
  • Options

I'm sorry you're going through this. It seems like more people are unemployed or under-employed than actually fully employed right now.

My H lost his job 3 weeks ago (August 1st) and we have NO savings. He was the bread-winner in our house. The only thing I bring to the table from my job is health insurance and $200 every 2 weeks...which we've been living off of (luckily he got paid the day he got fired so he went ahead and paid all of our bills for the month). But today we found out from the unemployment office that his unemployment benefits (which are barely enough for us to live off of in the first place)  might not kick in for 12 weeks (so 9 more weeks...that's over 2 months. The electric company, mortgage company, and car insurance company cannot go completely unpaid for 2 months).

And here I was wishing this baby would hurry up and come out. Now I have to sit here and hope he stays in another 2 weeks so I can collect another $200 pay check for us to be able to eat off of. Last night I cried myself to sleep because I am so incredibly uncomfortable and want this baby to make his appearance, and today I sit here crying because once he gets here I stop work for a little while. I might have to go back to work right away just to keep receiving those $200 every 2 weeks....which actually will be more like $50 every 2 weeks once I add the baby to my health insurance.

Good luck to you. I hope he finds a job soon!

• Options
    That's awful and I know how you feel, DH lost his job a few months back as well. Look into your state's Medicaid program, you should be eligible right away, then that will free up some money you would have had to pay for COBRA. Good luck.

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Options
    I'm so sorry you're going through this. I hope he's able to find a new job soon, and hopefully get on unemployment as soon as possible in the mean time. Does his company know that you're expecting, and that you uprooted your lives to come work for them? Such a crappy thing to do. It sounds like you have a supportive family though, and you'll be surprised how much people will be willing to help you. You just have to be humble enough to accept the help without worrying about paying them back, and know that you'll have the chance to repay the favor in the future. Good luck. 
  • Options

I know how you feel. DH worked at the university before we graduated in May and could no longer hold down the position since he was no longer a student and was now a graduate. I was accepted into the graduate program and was so excited. Everything seemed to be working out... except jobs and student housing. Are you kidding me? Those last two little things are what have us now in OR living with the in-laws. I'm so frustrated that I want to scream. How many thousands of applications must go out before one person hires you? Seriously???!!!

I know there is an end to this terrible time in our lives. It's just so hard being in the middle of it. Hang in there, hun.

Lilypie Kids Birthday tickers Lilypie First Birthday tickers
    Married since 06/19/2004|Anna born 11/19/2006|Charles born 11/1/11
    Double undergrad graduation May 2011| Me: Psychology, DH: Communication| A long journey!
    <a href="http://s21.photobucket.com/albums/b268/gussiebutt/?action=view
  • Options

imagebackinpgh:
    That's awful and I know how you feel, DH lost his job a few months back as well. Look into your state's Medicaid program, you should be eligible right away, then that will free up some money you would have had to pay for COBRA. Good luck.

I was going to suggest the same. 

Lilypie Kids Birthday tickers Lilypie First Birthday tickers
    Married since 06/19/2004|Anna born 11/19/2006|Charles born 11/1/11
    Double undergrad graduation May 2011| Me: Psychology, DH: Communication| A long journey!
    <a href="http://s21.photobucket.com/albums/b268/gussiebutt/?action=view
  • Options
    imageforensicmama:

imagebackinpgh:

I was going to suggest the same. 

This! DH lost his job when I was 6 months pregnant and I was laid off of mine just a few weeks ago. I'm not sure what it's like in FL but here in IL they make sure that pregnant women are well taken care of if they need medical assistance. I was even able to keep seeing my same doctor. Good luck to you! 

• Options
    I'm so, so, sorry for you and your DH! I know when you're going through a rough time it can feel totally hopeless and it's sometimes hard to see the light at the end of the tunnel. Things will get better! Support you DH and I really hope things will turn around for you soon. Look in to Medicaid and WIC, for the meantime, for sure! T&P!
  • Options

My DH lost his job two years ago in MN.  We lived there for five years, moved up from Georgia, bought a house and everything.  We ended up losing our house, forclosure, and both of our cars.  Don't mean to scare you, just our experience.

Thankfully, DH hit the ground running and was able to find a job six months later in WI.  Where we are now.  We've been here for two years renting a duplex in a great neigborhood!  Our kids go to private school, we are expecting our third child, and getting a new car for me next year (IL's gave DH one of their cars, and we bought me a used one with some tax return we got).  

So, I'm just saying that maybe the move their was not for the job he lost.  It could be that there's a better one waiting for you guys in Florida!  I made myself the strong one too.  It's one of the many roles that sometimes we women have to take on.  But, remember to talk to somebody and "let it out" for yourself too.  Good luck guys!! 

BabyFruit TickerLilypie First Birthday tickers Lilypie Fourth Birthday tickers Lilypie Kids Birthday tickers Daisypath Anniversary tickers image image
  • Options

DH was laid off (from his job of 9 years) 2 years ago. We spent our entire savings trying to stay afloat and save our house. We had to short sale it eventually. DH found a job but it was a 50% pay cut and we where struggling. We quit that job as it was mentally killing him and he landed the job in Texas. So we moved from VA to TX borrowing thousands of dollars from my in laws just to get out here.

We have been here a year this month. We are still tight but things are starting to get better and we are renting a great house, I sold my vehicle for the money and bought a cheap used car for getting around town, DH loves his job and is doing great in his company.

I had a very hard time dealing with it all in the beginning. I too had to keep the facade of being strong up for DH as I am the rock in the household but it was hard.  DH understood this and could see it and he was ust as supportive for me as I was for him. Everything happens fro a reason and it will all work out. 

I will keep you guys in my thoughts and hope for a new and better opportunity to come about quickly. 

• Options
    Yes God does works in mysterious ways. Just keep your faith and your blessing will come through this rough time. I lost my job at 30 weeks pregnant and we were already struggling to make ends meet with my income and now its just him by himself things are even harder. It always seems like its one thing after another. I want by DD to come so I can go back to work to help but there so much thats not done sometimes I feel like she needs to stay for 3 more weeks. Its not going to be easy to get through it but as long as you guys support each other and uplift each other, you all can get through it. Take it one day at a time. Pray first act second. Wishing you guys the best of luck!
  • Options

I'm so sorry! I agree with the PP that you should look into your state/local aid for expectant mothers.

Also, it sounds like you are religious. Maybe you can also check with your house of worship for additional sources of help. I know that Salvation Army will sometimes help with things like rent and utilities and there may be other organizations that can help.

Best of luck to you.

IVF #1 - DD born 2011 FET #1-3 all BFN IVF#2- BFP! EDD Nov. 3, 2014 1st US - March 28
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"