Pre-School and Daycare

Recommend a backpack!

My DS is starting preschool this fall and I'm on the hunt for a backpack for him.  I don't want one geared to preschoolers, since they are so small.  But I also don't want a huge one that will overwhelm him either.  One that will last a few years would be good.  Which ones to you like?  Thanks!

Re: Recommend a backpack!

• I have the "preschool" sized Thomas the Train and it works out great.  DS is completely potty trained so I don't need to put a whole lot of stuff in there.  It also frees up room in his class locker for his school supply box. 

Oh, and I got it from Target.

Lilypie Kids Birthday tickers

Image and video hosting by TinyPic image

• Carter has the small PBK one.
  • Loading the player...
  • imageb06.25.05:
     I don't want one geared to preschoolers, since they are so small.  But I also don't want a huge one that will overwhelm him either.

Sorry but you're talking out of both sides of your mouth.

There's a reason they make pre-school sized back packs - they fit a pre-schooler's body.

Why are you opposed to a pre-school sized back pack for your LO?

We got the lands end pre-school back packs and love them.  The boys can put them on and carry them easily.  They really don't need to carry much in them academically speaking and they're a great size for a change of clothes and for us this summer their swim gear and towel.

I can tell you as a mom of a 5 yr old that the back pack battle will begin shortly for us.  He wants a transformer's back pack and when I've let him try them on at the stores they're WAY too big for him.

I'd go with a pre-school sized one for now while you  can.

Our IF journey: 1 m/c, 1 IVF with only 3 eggs retrieved yielding Dylan and a lost twin, 1 shocker unmedicated BFP resulting in Jace, 3 more unmedicated pregnancies ending in more losses.
    Total score: 6 pregnancies, 5 losses, 2 amazing blessings that I'm thankful for every single day.
  • Beatrix makes the most adorable backpacks but I ended up caving and getting a regular tot backpack.  It fits all of Harm's stuff in it (including art work) and the size/price made it worth it.
    Mom to Harmon 1/17/08 and twins Rachel & Callum 8/28/09 Photobucket 29o0v13.jpg
  • imagehowleyshell:

imageb06.25.05:
     I don't want one geared to preschoolers, since they are so small.  But I also don't want a huge one that will overwhelm him either.

Sorry but you're talking out of both sides of your mouth.

There's a reason they make pre-school sized back packs - they fit a pre-schooler's body.

Why are you opposed to a pre-school sized back pack for your LO?

We got the lands end pre-school back packs and love them.  The boys can put them on and carry them easily.  They really don't need to carry much in them academically speaking and they're a great size for a change of clothes and for us this summer their swim gear and towel.

I can tell you as a mom of a 5 yr old that the back pack battle will begin shortly for us.  He wants a transformer's back pack and when I've let him try them on at the stores they're WAY too big for him.

I'd go with a pre-school sized one for now while you  can.

Ha!  I know I'm talking out both sides of my mouth!  I was thinking that as I was typing this.  The preschool-sized backpacks I've seen are so small, it doesn't even look like a standard size folder will fit in there.  Maybe I'm wrong.  I guess I will have to test them out!  Thanks for the advice...I appreciate it from someone who has done this!

• The PBKs small size backpacks are the perfect size.  Their preschool size is too small IMO, but the small is perfect for 3,4,5 year olds. 

Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • If you want something that fits a folder, the preschool size is not the way to go. Although I do like the Skip Hop Zoo Packs in that size range -- they are just right for a MDO kind of thing if you only need room for an emergency change of clothes. 

I got DD1 the PBK small backpack for preschool. It's big enough to fit a folder or 8x11 paper without smushing or folding. It's large, but I wouldn't say it's overwhelming size-wise -- she can handle getting it on and off by herself, and we never load it enough that it's even close to too heavy. 

I think it will last at least until kindie.  

DD1, 1/5/2008 ~~~ DD2, 3/17/2010
  • Lands End small backpack - it is perfect.  Both of my kids have had theirs for a few years and they still look new.  My 5 year old has no issue wearing hers and it fits her great, it is still a little big for my 3 year old but she still wears it and loves it.
    Jenni Mom to DD#1 - 6-16-06 DD#2 - 3-13-08 
  • imageToBeMrsT:

The PBKs small size backpacks are the perfect size.  Their preschool size is too small IMO, but the small is perfect for 3,4,5 year olds. 

Ditto this. We have both. The preschool size is fine for DS for summer camp where he only has to bring an extra outfit and some snacks. He needs a bookbag that can hold a folder for pre-school and the small size fits the bill. It's a little big without being overwhelming and will probably be great for preschool thru kindergarten. 

P - 9/2008
    A - 8/2010
    L - 1/2013
    S - 3/2015
  • My son also needed a backpack to fit a standard size folder.  We got him a Crocodile Creek backpack and it's the perfect size for him...not too big and not too little.  He'll definitely have enough room for a folder, change of clothes, snack and art work. 

https://gifts.barnesandnoble.com/Toys-games/Crocodile-Creek-Backpack-Robot/e/732396464523?itm=15&usri=crocodile+creek

Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • imageToBeMrsT:

The PBKs small size backpacks are the perfect size.  Their preschool size is too small IMO, but the small is perfect for 3,4,5 year olds. 

I ditto this too.  We have both the small & large. The small size is perfect for a 3-5yr old to wear. Our preschool asks for kids to bring the large size though.  

Lilypie Third Birthday tickers Lilypie Fifth Birthday tickers
  • My 4 year old daughter has a Crocodile Creek backpack, and my 2 year old son has a Skip Hop backpack.  Both are super cute, and great quality, but the Crocodile Creek is larger.  I'm expecting it to last for several years.

Natalie 7.27.07/Lukas 5.29.09/Noah 3.4.11/Brooke 7.31.12 Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • I got DD one of these (her's has a frog on it)  She's almost 3.5 and it fits her great.  It was only around $5 too.   
    Image and video hosting by TinyPic Lilypie Fifth Birthday tickers
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"