October 2011 Moms

crib conversion kit- necessary?

Here's my dilemma, we purchased a crib that came with the toddler rail, but the rails that convert it into a full size bed are an extra kit that run about $90.  This is our first child, and we plan on *hopefully* using the crib for any additional kids, and for it to ultimately last as the last kid's bed for a while after that. 

Although we did not register at babies r us, they carry the kit and we did receive enough gift cards to cover the price of the conversion kit- would you use your gift cards towards that, or get something with it that was more useable "right now"?

My main concern is that by the time we want the kit, it will be discontinued and we'll be unable to get it, and I would almost rather spend gift cards than out of pocket money on this kind of purchase that won't be used anytime soon.  2nd time moms- please chime in with your experience with this type of thing!  Thanks!    

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

Re: crib conversion kit- necessary?

• I opted for a non-convertible crib because I want to buy a matching furniture set when my daughter gets older.  I was afraid that the small dresser that often came with the set wouldn't match the new bed.  Plus, most of the cribs I was looking at were transforming into a double bed.  I might be silly, but I really want her in a twin bed first.

Edit : Just like you, I also plan on having more children and on using my crib more than once.

Pregnancy Ticker

Pregnancy Ticker

• FTM here.  I would get the rails because, as you said, if the model is discontinued later, you won't be able to use the crib as a full-sized bed.  That's why we bought our rails.  Part of the benefit of the convertible is not just to get the baby into a toddler bed but to get him/her through the next 18 years, IMO.  Not getting the rails would jeopardize your ability to capitalize on what you've already invested in.

My BFP Chart

Becoming a better role model for my daughter, one day at a time

• Loading the player...
  • We bought the conversion kit for the toddler bed, but not for the full grown up bed. I'd just throw the $90 at it.
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • We didn't buy it.  We got a white cib set, which I don't mind for a baby of either sex, but I think if the baby is a boy we'd probably pack up the crib and save it for LO#2 and buy LO#1 a different toddler bed, anyway.

The conversion to the bigger bed is for a full sized bed, not a twin- I've never seen a child with a full sized bed, and I would have to buy an additional new headboard and footboard PLUS the kit to use the frame for a twin bed as LO grows... it just seemed like buying a whole new bed without getting another bed, YKWIM?

• Did you get the crib at babies r us? 

They are notorious at discontinuing models and if you hope to convert the crib to the full size bed one day I would buy it now.  

• we bought a non convertable crib as we plan to use the crib for upcoming children as well. My sons crib was a convertable(we threw it out when he hit 2 as I didnt think we were going to have more children) and in the end when he was ready to be in a bed we ended up buying a nice captains bed.

• Get it now. They discontinue things all the time, not to mention it's likely they will raise the price down the road. We have DD in a full size bed right now.
  • imagemrookie:

Did you get the crib at babies r us? 

They are notorious at discontinuing models and if you hope to convert the crib to the full size bed one day I would buy it now.  

We did not purchase the crib from babies r us, we got it from the PX, but I know amazon carries the conversion kit as well.  I'm thinking we'll just get the kit now and not worry about being able to find it later.  

• spend the $ and get the conversion kit now!  DD's was discontinued when we went to order it when we bought #2's crib and our salesperson worked a miracle and found one for us.  so this time we bought all of it for #2, not waiting.  they are both sitting up in the attic for when we need them.

the furniture we bought will be their furniture for the next 18 years (or longer) and i love that they will both be getting a full size bed, i HATED sleeping in a twin bed growing up. 

photo IMG_3757_zps3e266e57.jpg Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker "Sometimes I am two people. Johnny is the nice one. Cash causes all the trouble. They fight." - Johnny Cash
  • If you plan on using the crib as a full size bed down the road, I would go ahead and make the purchase now since it may be discontinued later.

We don't plan to use ours beyond a toddler bed, but the nursery is an odd-shaped room and there's no space for a full bed.

Lilypie Pregnancy tickers
  • We did not get the conversion kit and ours was discontinued.  If I had it to do over again, I'd get the kit.
    Lilypie Kids Birthday tickers Lilypie First Birthday tickers
  • I purchased the kit when I purchased the crib set. I dont want to miss out on it if I had waited. Besides even if we use it again for another child the full size bed will eventually get used! If you have the money go for it!
    ega Pictures, Images and Photos support our troops Pictures, Images and Photosega Pictures, Images and Photos Lilypie Second Birthday tickers Lilypie First Birthday tickers
  • DS went straight from a crib to a twin bed with a rail we purchased separately.  I am hoping DS2 will do the same thing.  Neither of our bedrooms have room for a full sized bed. 
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"