Pre-School and Daycare

If your DC uses an inhaler

How did you teach him/her to fully exhale, put the inhaler/spacer in his/her mouth and then fully inhale?  DS just got an inhaler, and I'm struggling with helping him get it all coordinated.  He's got the concept, but getting it all coordinated and then fully inhaling is tough. 

We're so ready to make the switch (as much as possible) from the nebulizer to the inhaler, but we've got to make sure he's getting the medicine fully inhaled.  Right now, I'm not sure that's happening.  FWIW, he's a true pro at the nebulizer, so it's not like we're starting from total scratch.

Re: If your DC uses an inhaler

• We transitioned from the nebulizer to the inhaler with a spacer and a mask that looked like a duck face.  Now DS just uses the spacer. 

I have him put his mouth on the spacer and exhale.  I then press the inhaler and have him breathe normally.  I think it's working ok.

My twins are 5! My baby is 3!

DS#2 - Allergic to Cashew, Pistachio, Kiwi

DS#3 - Allergic to Milk, Egg, Peanut, Tree Nuts and Sesame

• DS has been using his inhaler with a chamber for over a year now. It took a few weeks to get it just right, but now he does great. He can do it all on his own. He pumps it and takes 10 breaths. Try it, it's not too hard for LOs.
    Like giveaways? Like my blog!
    www.facebook.com/TryVermontFirst
    I love these two beautiful children!
    Image and video hosting by TinyPic
  • Loading the player...
  • Another vote for a spacer.

I'm not sure if you need a prescription for it or not.

Call your doc or pharmacy and find out how to go about getting one.

A spacer removes the need to time the breaths.  The medicine is release into a chamber, child puts mouth over chamber and breathes normally (thru mouth) for a couple of breaths until it's all in. 

Our IF journey: 1 m/c, 1 IVF with only 3 eggs retrieved yielding Dylan and a lost twin, 1 shocker unmedicated BFP resulting in Jace, 3 more unmedicated pregnancies ending in more losses.
    Total score: 6 pregnancies, 5 losses, 2 amazing blessings that I'm thankful for every single day.
  • imagehowleyshell:

Another vote for a spacer.

I'm not sure if you need a prescription for it or not.

Call your doc or pharmacy and find out how to go about getting one.

A spacer removes the need to time the breaths.  The medicine is release into a chamber, child puts mouth over chamber and breathes normally (thru mouth) for a couple of breaths until it's all in. 

Absolutely a spacer.  They have a mask, so there's nothing to put into their mouth.  My 4yo has been using her inhaler/spacer just fine since she was dx'd w/asthma around age 2.  We actually just got a nebulizer this past winter as she started having issues with her upper respiratory tract when she got sick, which was a LOT.  So now we neb her w/an inhaled steroid when needed for that, but before now we've not needed a neb.

• imageluvmagoldn:

I have him put his mouth on the spacer and exhale.  I then press the inhaler and have him breathe normally.  I think it's working ok.

Ok, so I guess I was over complicating it.  Stick out tongue  This should work.  We do have the spacer/chamber.  I was just making it too difficult.  Thanks for the tutorial.  FWIW, I'm thrilled to be packing the neb away for the most part.  She's been good to us, but it's such a PITA, especially when it's the middle of the night, you're in a hurry to get out the door, you're away from home, etc, etc, etc.  Thanks ladies!

• imageCD+AL:
    imageluvmagoldn:

Ok, so I guess I was over complicating it.  Stick out tongue  This should work.  We do have the spacer/chamber.  I was just making it too difficult.  Thanks for the tutorial.  FWIW, I'm thrilled to be packing the neb away for the most part.  She's been good to us, but it's such a PITA, especially when it's the middle of the night, you're in a hurry to get out the door, you're away from home, etc, etc, etc.  Thanks ladies!

I know what you mean!  I still like using the nebulizer when DS is sick and having upper respiratory issues.  I just feel like it's more effective when he is in the throws of an event.  I am probably wrong but that's my feeling. 

I am totally ok with using the inhaler for daily maintenance or when we are traveling and need to pack albuterol just in case.  It's soooo much easier. 

I'm weird,  I know.  =)

My twins are 5! My baby is 3!

DS#2 - Allergic to Cashew, Pistachio, Kiwi

DS#3 - Allergic to Milk, Egg, Peanut, Tree Nuts and Sesame

• imageluvmagoldn:

I know what you mean!  I still like using the nebulizer when DS is sick and having upper respiratory issues.  I just feel like it's more effective when he is in the throws of an event.  I am probably wrong but that's my feeling. 

I am totally ok with using the inhaler for daily maintenance or when we are traveling and need to pack albuterol just in case.  It's soooo much easier. 

I'm weird,  I know.  =)

ITA...I think the neb will still have a place in our lives for as long as DS has these issues.  I seriously hope he's like me and outgrows some of this asthma stuff.  It was pretty bad when I was a kid (although didn't have any treatments as young as he is) but now I  don't keep an inhaler any more b/c they always expire before they get much use. 

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"