Pre-School and Daycare

Girls & skirts/dresses

Not sure if this has been asked/discussed already -

I have done pretty well finding DD skirts to wear that have built-in bike shorts.  But even then, she sits "criss cross applesauce" all the time (school, home etc) and the shorts aren't tight enough to hide her underwear.  

Then, there are all the dresses and skirts that don't have the built-in shorts - it seems like as she gets older and into bigger sizes, they often don't have the built in shorts.

DD never seems to remember to sit so that her underwear isn't showing.. any ideas?  I want to teach her to sit appropriately, but I also want her to be able to play etc with the added short.  Do you ever buy them separately?  I have seen sites that sell bike shorts for just under dresses.

Re: Girls & skirts/dresses

• I already struggle with this with Rachel.  I got the best little biker short shorts at Target this Summer.  They fit well under her clothing and stay pretty decently hidden.  I also like Children's place skirts but the criss cross applesauce issue is there.  

The perils of being a girl!  My nanny and I joke about Rachel that she is going to have a life time of difficult finding functional fashion.

Mom to Harmon 1/17/08 and twins Rachel & Callum 8/28/09 Photobucket 29o0v13.jpg
  • My daughter wants to wear a dress/skirt everyday!  Her preschool requires shorts underneath, so have have several of these:  https://shop.nordstrom.com/S/scrambled-girl-shorties-little-girls-big-girls/2976500?origin=category&resultback=1824

Lilypie Fifth Birthday tickers Lilypie Second Birthday tickers
  • Loading the player...
  • I have a couple of pairs of shorts that match the dresses it seems to happen with most frequently. I also will put her in leggings under dresses once it starts to cool off more. 

I saw these from Chasing Fireflies:  https://www.chasing-fireflies.com/underouts-boxers/productinfo/35683/

Not cheap, and I don't have any to know for sure, but they look like they'd work really well -- they're tight-fitting boxer shorts for girls to wear under dresses. 

DD1, 1/5/2008 ~~~ DD2, 3/17/2010
  • DD (at almost 6) wears dresses with leggings all.the.time (capri in the summer and long in the winter).   We usually buy them from Carter's, Osh Gosh and Hanna Andersson.  

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • What's the problem w/ girls showing their underwear by accident?

I think they will naturally develop that modesty at a slightly older age (5ish?), but forcing it on them now, seems like it would create body issues and making them ashamed of their body.

Lilypie Third Birthday tickers
  • DD loves to wear skirts and dresses. I put bike shorts on underneath when its hot, and during the winter she wears leggings. I have gotten solid colored bike shorts from Target, Children's Place & Walmart. They are all being clearanced out right now though so hurry! Walmart had them for $2.50 a pair last week & they had a lot of colors & sizes left.

Lilypie Kids Birthday tickers Lilypie Third Birthday tickers
  • imageKathrynMD:

What's the problem w/ girls showing their underwear by accident?

I think they will naturally develop that modesty at a slightly older age (5ish?), but forcing it on them now, seems like it would create body issues and making them ashamed of their body.

When DD1 got into her 3 year old room in daycare- they were required to wear something under their dresses and skirts.  Boys were already making comments.  STarts young these days I'm afraid!

To OP- leggings in fall/winter/spring and bike shorts in summer.  We get ours at Gymboree but there is where I do the majority of my shopping so the colors match. 

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • I see girls with bike shorts under their dresses all the time.  Up until now I have not stressed if their undies show or they have the built in shorts and if their undies show a drop, who cares.  We do talk about keeping their dresses down and not showing undies but I really don't make it a big deal.  Come fall, we will be doing a ton of leggins under dresses and then it won't be an issue!!!
    Jenni Mom to DD#1 - 6-16-06 DD#2 - 3-13-08 
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"