Pre-School and Daycare

What to send drinks in?

For the boys' lunches, I'd like to send milk, but what do I send it in? (The individual containers are out of the question, financially.) Will it stay cold in a thermos? If so, what kind of thermos can little kids open? (They can twist off the top to a water bottle, so they do have some dexterity.)

Or, would I be better off sending water in something not insulated?

Hmmm.....
How to tell my boys apart

The different types of twins and triplets

Jack, Sydney and Carynne, Annaleigh, JW, Eden...forever in our hearts.
My blog * We made the national news!

Re: What to send drinks in?

• I buy milk boxes if I'm going to send in milk. The Horizon Organic milk. Other than that, I'll send water or maybe a juice box.

I don't like cleaning milk out of a thermos type container.......... 

image Mommy to Barbara 11/8/05, Elisabeth 5/13/07, Loukas 12/23/08 and Lazarus 09/25/12
  • Yeah, like I said, individual containers are out of the question.

• Loading the player...
  • imagepea-kay:
    Yeah, like I said, individual containers are out of the question.

Ooops! Sorry about that, I missed it.

Maybe you could invest in a Pack-It lunchbox and send the milk in a thermos type bottle. The PackIt would keep it cold for a LONG time.........or add ice packs to their lunch bags..........is that an option? 

image Mommy to Barbara 11/8/05, Elisabeth 5/13/07, Loukas 12/23/08 and Lazarus 09/25/12
  • As for the type of bottles, my kids have Crocodile Creek (like a Sigg type bottle) bottles, and my girls (4 and 5) are able to open them no problem, but DS can't (he's only 2.5 though)......
  • Any kind of insulated cup/mug/thermos they can open should be fine

But just so you know - we take milk with our lunches hiking and take it uninsulated for half a day and it does fine.

The milk won't go bad in the 3-4 hours between when you pack it and when they drink it.

Our IF journey: 1 m/c, 1 IVF with only 3 eggs retrieved yielding Dylan and a lost twin, 1 shocker unmedicated BFP resulting in Jace, 3 more unmedicated pregnancies ending in more losses.
    Total score: 6 pregnancies, 5 losses, 2 amazing blessings that I'm thankful for every single day.
  • cool, thanks for the ideas! and the reassurances. i really want them to have milk, since they're so freaking picky.

i got the easylunchboxes and insulated bags for the food, which i'll put an ice pack in. 

gaah! i'm not used to packing lunches for them!

• I really like the Fogo insulated straw cups for the girls. They keep stuff cold for a very long time (site says 10 hours but I've never tried that!), don't leak, and are dishwasher safe.
    CP 3/07
    BFP 5/07 - Kylie born 2/08.       BPF 2/09 - Alexandra born 10/09.
    TTC since 8/13 - diagnosed difficulty conceiving due to LP defect. Took vitamin B and Vitex Berry to help lengthen.
    BFP 2/14 - Missed M/C found at 8.5 weeks. D&C at 9w2d. Partial Molar Pregnancy.
    BFP 11/14
  • Personally, I'd send water and an extra portion of cheese/yogurt. I think milk would be really hard to clean out of a container, esp one with a straw.

That being said, we have several Sigg stainless steel containers and my DD can open them (not the kid lids, though, which are tough for her to snap closed, just the regular twist top) and they don't leak. You could use a bottle scrubber to clean them. They're thicker than cheapie canteens and keep water colder for longer, so I imagine they'd do the same for milk. You might also try freezing the metal container before pouring milk in it.

And no matter what, I would have a separate icepack for the milk. 

Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • A good insulated Thermos keeps it cold till lunch Smile  I also use them to send soups in the winter b/c it keeps it hot also!

Here is the one we got him this summer: https://www.walgreens.com/store/c/thermos-cars-funtainer/ID=prod6067570-product?V=G&ext=frgl_Google_For_the_Home

Mom to Harmon 1/17/08 and twins Rachel & Callum 8/28/09 Photobucket 29o0v13.jpg
  • imagebim38106:
    I really like the Fogo insulated straw cups for the girls. They keep stuff cold for a very long time (site says 10 hours but I've never tried that!), don't leak, and are dishwasher safe.

I second this Foogo cup. DS can open it on his own and it has kept his milk cold for the whole day...I think we've gone at least 8 hours.

https://www.toysrus.com/product/index.jsp?productId=3641098  

• I also use the Horizon milk boxes. But they are pricey. The school should be willing to refrigerate the milk if you send it in sippy cups. That is what my son's school does when I send in sippy cups. Just label with names.
  • imagebim38106:
    I really like the Fogo insulated straw cups for the girls. They keep stuff cold for a very long time (site says 10 hours but I've never tried that!), don't leak, and are dishwasher safe.

These work really well and aren't hard to clean - I toss them in the dishwasher and they're fine.  I send milk to school for DD, but they have a refrigerator and only get the milk out when they're serving snacks or lunch.  I send enough for a few days in a big insulated Klean Kanteen container and stick it in the fridge.  

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"