Babies: 0 - 3 Months
Options

Tummy time=sucking hand time?

After we eat, we spend time on the play mat, back first, then tummy.  When he's on his tummy, he really isn't lifting his head.  He keeps it to the right and sucks his hand.  I've tried also putting him on the boppy pillow and he just chills there until he starts crying.  He only lifts his head A LOT when we're holding him on our shoulder.  I put toys and what-not in front of him and talk to him to encourage him to lift his head, but I get nothing.  Any suggestions?

Anniversary

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

Re: Tummy time=sucking hand time?

• Options
    Our LO loves to suck his hand too when he's doing tummy time, no matter where he's doing it, but we find out best luck when we're doing tummy to tummy, instead of on the ground. Another thing we do is hold him sitting up on our lap by his pits so that our fingers are VERY close to his head to keep it from swinging all over the place. It forces him to use his muscles to keep that ginormous bean from swinging around and, if it does, our fingers are right there to keep the damage to a minimum. ;)
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • Options
    Mine is the exact same.  He'll lift his head a lot when we're holding him or he's on his tummy on MH's chest.  But on the floor it's all about sucking that fist.  He doesn't respond to toys yet.  Or even to me.
  • Loading the player...
  • Options
    I agree with pp... we do tummy to tummy and DD lifts her head a lot more to look at me.  If we lay her on the ground she just sucks her hands too.
    Lilypie Fourth Birthday tickers, Lilypie First Birthday tickers
  • Options

imagegymnst1013:
    Mine is the exact same.  He'll lift his head a lot when we're holding him or he's on his tummy on MH's chest.  But on the floor it's all about sucking that fist.  He doesn't respond to toys yet.  Or even to me.

This! 

photo image_zps90e45ea2.jpg
    AlternaTickers - Cool, free Web tickers
    AlternaTickers - Cool, free Web tickers
  • Options
    My LO does this constantly Sometimes I'll get down on my tummy in front of him, put my hands over his little fists and hold them shoulder length apart (forearms flat on the mat), then talk to him while holding his fists. I think it helps to distract him and he forgets about the fists for a bit since they're not right in front of his face. He only tolerates it for a little bit, though. Eta: he only lifts his head slightly when flat in the floor. And only recently started this at 2months.
    Image and video hosting by TinyPic AlternaTickers - Cool, free Web tickers
  • Options
    we've only tried tummy time a few times with LO since he's still only a week old, but every time we've done it he just falls asleep!  Definitely in the same boat with PPs- our LO seems to move his head when he lays on our chest or if Im trying to burp him.
  • Options

Your LO is still *really* young, chill out.

3-6 months is really when they begin to become aware of you (and other people), lift their head up when on their tummy, and begin to play with toys. Just calm down and enjoy what your LO can do right now; all babies progress at their own rate, and this is way too young to worry about "milestones."

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"