February 2012 Moms
Options

Is everyone finding out gender?

We found out for our DD at our 20 week u/s that we were having a girl.  I've had so many friends lately who have opted to not find out and its kinda making me want to wait.  I feel like for the 1st one, we had to for the shower but this time around, its not as important to know ahead of time.  I am a planner, so it might drive me crazy to not know though!  My husband really wants to know so he is really trying to persuade me Wink
Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml

Re: Is everyone finding out gender?

• Options
    We are finding out for sure, we did with DD too. I just think not to offend any one at all that it is dumb not to find out, I want to be all set up and have either boy stuff or girl stuff, I am not a fan of gender neutral things but hey different strokes for different folks.
    BabyFruit Ticker BabyName Ticker
  • Options
    We are definitely finding out this time but it is also our first baby.  I am not sure what we would do the second time around (if we are lucky enough to have more).  I don't know if I would care as much about finding out then, but this time we both can't wait!! :-)
    Trying for #1 since 5/2010
    12/2010-hysteroscopy done to remove uterine polyps
    6/2/11=BFP!!!!
    EDD 2/12/12
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Loading the player...
  • Options
    I really want to know as does our daughter and the rest of my family.  Daddy does not want to know.  He wants to be surprised.  My theory is, it's still a surprise whether it's at 20 weeks of 40.  I'm a planner too and need to know!

• Options
    imageRNmommyof2:
    I really want to know as does our daughter and the rest of my family.  Daddy does not want to know.  He wants to be surprised.  My theory is, it's still a surprise whether it's at 20 weeks of 40.  I'm a planner too and need to know!
    Yeah I am the planner in the family and need to know everything lol, our DD really wants to know if the "baby in mommy's tummy is a sister" so cute! 
  • Options

currently we are at NO.

my whole entire life..i've always wanted to NOT find out...up until we started TTC..that's when i decided i wanted to find out...... H always wanted to find out....up until we were TTC..then he decided he didn't want to. 

ugh.

i think for now, it's "easier" for us to not find out...i think we'll have the u/s tech write it in the envelope, and if we decide to find out..it will be there when we are ready.

• Options

As of now we're going to not find out.  I really like the idea of being the doctor telling us when we're meeting the LO.  My second main reason is for our baby shower.  I figure if you don't know the sex people will be less likely to get you that really cute outfit that won't come in handy in all and get you diapers or bottles, etc if they don't know the sex.  My friend (who's having a girl) had a shower and every gift she got (and there were ~60 people there) was clothes!!  EVERY GIFT! 

Image and video hosting by TinyPic
  • Options
    We are not finding out. With DS I made sure to get gender neutral stuff to use for baby 2. And since this will be my last pregnancy I want to experience the anticipation and excitement of finding out on their birthday, since it won't be an option ever again.
  • Options

imagePetNurse10:

I figure if you don't know the sex people will be less likely to get you that really cute outfit that won't come in handy in all and get you diapers or bottles, etc if they don't know the sex.  My friend (who's having a girl) had a shower and every gift she got (and there were ~60 people there) was clothes!!  EVERY GIFT! 

We got some clothes, some that we couldn't really use.  I can't believe she got all clothes.  Just be careful tho - I've been to some unknown and they got lots of clothes still, just all yellow and green ;)

• Options
    imagePetNurse10:

As of now we're going to not find out.  I really like the idea of being the doctor telling us when we're meeting the LO.  My second main reason is for our baby shower.  I figure if you don't know the sex people will be less likely to get you that really cute outfit that won't come in handy in all and get you diapers or bottles, etc if they don't know the sex.  My friend (who's having a girl) had a shower and every gift she got (and there were ~60 people there) was clothes!!  EVERY GIFT! 

This is not true for every shower, everyone knew I was having a girl when I was pregnant with DD and I didn't really get that many clothes, I got a lot of necessities for her.
  • Options

We are still on the fence.  In the begining I was certain I wanted to know but after thinking about it and hearing my brother/SIL's stories we're starting to think maybe we don't want to know....that it would be fun to wait until the day of and have that extra surprise after going through birth.  We'll see though.. We have a few weeks to decide though. 

And not to start anything but to the PP who said it was "dumb" not to find out.. That was sorta offensive.  But I'm hormonal and most things are offensive these days LOL

BabyFruit Ticker
  • Options
    We will definitely find out what sexes our babies are- Sept 8th :)
  • Options
    We can't decide! I change my mind everyday...if it's a girl I want to know so I can buy all the cute girly things but if it's a boy I want it to be a surprise... if that makes sense...
  • Options

I'm a planner, and we didn't find out for DD. We won't find out for this one either. I really had to think about it this time, but it was just such an amazing experience to have them lay DD on my chest and me to be the first one to see if she was a boy or girl. (I didn't have the doctor call it out, I wanted to.)

It was funny because everyone thought I was having a boy. EVERYONE. And although in my heart I knew she was a girl, I started to think that too. I had to do a double take when I saw that she was indeed a girl. ;)

• Options

DH wants to find out and I don't really want to.  So the compromise is that only he & I can know.  So we are telling people we are not finding out, but secretly we are.  We may end up sharing later, who knows. 

Plus a friend said "Unless you want a ton of cloths at your shower, don't tell.  We wish we wouldn't have, since LO couldn't even wear most of the cloths."  So that got me thinking.  We'll see.

"When the world says, 'Give up,' Hope whispers, 'Try one more time.'" -Anonymous

• Options
    Haha, absolutely.  If we didn't find, I'm sure I'd convince myself one way or another what it was, and then it would come out something else and I'm afraid I'd feel disappointed.

Also - I really hate uni-sex baby clothes.  I think they're all too girly for a boy and too tacky for a girl.  Which, let me tell you how much I hate fruity little fancy-pants baby boy clothing.  Ick!!
  • Options
    We didn't find out with DD-- it was VERY exciting and great motivation during labor, but we are finding out for sure this time, mostly so that I can plan accordingly with that I will need for this baby.
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Options
    We will this time - it's our first and I don't think I could stand the anticipation.  Next time around (if we're so lucky), I think I'd like to wait.   
    11 months old! #andintoeverything
  • Options
    We are finding out for sure! I can't wait! To each his own but I hate it when people tell me I should wait until delivery because it's such a surprise. I was totally surprised when we found out we were having a DD at my u/s last pg. It's just personal preference.
  • Options

We are not finding out.  This is our first.  In our religion, it is bad luck to bring anything for the baby into the home until the baby is born, and baby showers are not thrown.  My parents and father in law are going to be busy setting up before baby comes home...but they're totally on board and super excited!  So all purchases will be made after the baby is born, and gifts will come from family and friends as they choose to send.

On a separate note, I want my H to have his moment to shine with our pregnancy.  I feel like everyone is calling me and asking how I am, and he's kinda on the back burner (which he's quite ok with).  I want him to be able to run out into that waiting room...to our waiting families, and say, "It's a....!!!!!!!

Lilypie First Birthday tickers
  • Options

We waited with DD and we will with this LO. I just loved the anticipation, and it was such an emotional, special moment to find out right after giving birth. Our family was cute too--they got way more "into" our surprise pregnancy than they did with the cousins who found out ahead of time.

I'm a total planner, and I don't get the "I can't do it--I'm a planner" argument. I actually thought it worked about better not knowing. For our shower, we got more of what we needed and I love that all of our basic gear is gender neutral so I can reuse it. I bought a few outfits for each sex, but even clothes wasn't really a problem as SO many people brought clothes after she was born. And the room was gender neutral, but very cute. We added girly touches over time after she was born. 

• Options
    We are def finding out.  Found out with DD too.  There is no way I could wait.  Not only am I a planner, but I am anxious to buy all new baby outfits and plan out the room.
    BabyFetus Ticker

• Options
    DH and I are going to find out. I figure with 2, I better be prepared as possible!
  • Options

If you take a look at the due date list on the blog, you'll see that LOTS of February mamas are going to find out gender. :) I feel like a weirdo for wanting to wait until birth!

It's a boy! Born 42 weeks, 2 days.
    Pregnancy Ticker
  • Options

I'd like to wait, but my husband really wants to find out.  So- we had to make a deal. . . We'll find out with this one, and with the 2nd child it'll be a surprise.

My two concerns about finding out: 1- what if they're wrong.  (I don't think this happens as often anymore, but 27 years ago I was supposed to be a 'boy' according to an u/s about a month before i was born)  2- I want necessities and more gender-nuetral type stuff so I can use it again with another bay.

BabyFruit Ticker

• Options
    DH and I are definately finding out.  It's just too tempting to know and would drive both of us crazy waiting!
  • Options
    imageJeter1028:

We are still on the fence.  In the begining I was certain I wanted to know but after thinking about it and hearing my brother/SIL's stories we're starting to think maybe we don't want to know....that it would be fun to wait until the day of and have that extra surprise after going through birth.  We'll see though.. We have a few weeks to decide though. 

And not to start anything but to the PP who said it was "dumb" not to find out.. That was sorta offensive.  But I'm hormonal and most things are offensive these days LOL

I understand that what I said could have been offensive to some but I warned in the post that it was not my intentions to offend anyone, like I said different stokes for different folks, I honestly couldn't wait for 9 months to not know what was growing in me was a girl or boy and besides my 3 year old keeps asking if she is getting a brother or sister lol  
  • Options
    We are also finding out, I don't think I could wait that long!
  • Options
    Nope! Why ruin the greatest surprise of your life (imo)!
    Pregnancy Ticker
  • Options
    We are team green!
    TTC #1 since 6/10 BFP #1: 8/10, ectopic pregnancy BFP #2: 6/6/11, EDD 2/14/12, DS born 2/8/12 via c-section Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Options
    Nope. Have always dreamed of the day the doctor said "It's a girl/boy". Still waiting for that day! lol
  • Options
    imageClaireBear90:

If you take a look at the due date list on the blog, you'll see that LOTS of February mamas are going to find out gender. :) I feel like a weirdo for wanting to wait until birth!

Definitely agreed with this. DH and I both feel really strongly about waiting -- we really, really, REALLY do not want to get flooded with pink-and-sparkles or blue-and-sports. (And I know for sure that my stepmother would do that, and likely other people, too!)

No offense to those of you who feel you have to have the "girl" or "boy" exclusive stuff, but it really isn't our style at all.

---
    ♥ Married since June 2009 ♥
    TW: Living children & Losses:
    Mom of sons "Alpha" (Feb 2012) & "Beta" (May 2016)
    Pregnant after 4 losses via IVF/FET with daughter "Gamma" (EDD Oct 2, 2019)
    Lilypie Pregnancy tickers
  • Options
    DH insists on being surprised with the gender at birth. I am a planner, so I am not convinced (yet). DH has me pegged that I will secretly find out the gender from the doctor and keep the secret from him. We'll see. I am still on the fence, but I want to be supportive of DH's decision.
  • Options
    We are finding out the gender.  My DH won't even hear of anything else!  LOL.  He so can't wait to know.  I have gone back and forth, but I think I would still want to know.
  • Options
    imageNikkiS7934:

We are not finding out.  This is our first.  In our religion, it is bad luck to bring anything for the baby into the home until the baby is born, and baby showers are not thrown.  My parents and father in law are going to be busy setting up before baby comes home...but they're totally on board and super excited!  So all purchases will be made after the baby is born, and gifts will come from family and friends as they choose to send.

On a separate note, I want my H to have his moment to shine with our pregnancy.  I feel like everyone is calling me and asking how I am, and he's kinda on the back burner (which he's quite ok with).  I want him to be able to run out into that waiting room...to our waiting families, and say, "It's a....!!!!!!!

i totally agree with the dh thing. i really want him to have this moment where he gets to give the big news to our families. hes really excited about it too.

• Options
    imageAngiee930:
    imageJeter1028:

I understand that what I said could have been offensive to some but I warned in the post that it was not my intentions to offend anyone, like I said different stokes for different folks, I honestly couldn't wait for 9 months to not know what was growing in me was a girl or boy and besides my 3 year old keeps asking if she is getting a brother or sister lol  

Exactly, "different strokes for different folks" - so the judgement seems unnecessary.  You don't seem like the type of person that LITERALLY meant the person is DUMB for not finding out - at least I hope not.  Maybe just a poor choice of words....?  I wasn't personally "offended" because it takes a lot to offend me..but I still think it could have been said a little differently.

I obviously see both sides to it.  There's a huge part of me that is anxious to know, but another part that would think it would be fun to wait. 

BabyFruit Ticker
  • Options

We are waiting to find out, although every few days DH has a breakdown moment and says "I NEED to know!" 

My feelings are that when you find out the gender of the baby, you bond with it all during the pregnancy, and when you give birth, you already know the person looking back at you.  And I think that's great and what some people want very badly.

I want to wait because I want to feel as though I am meeting the baby for the first time when he/she arrives.  I want DH to place them on my chest and tell me whether its a boy or a girl.  Its not that I am not attached with the pregnancy or don't want to bond, I am just so looking forward to the anticipation of labor.

All that said, my mom and DH don't believe that I can actually make it to delivery without finding out.  My mom said, "I would be absolutely shocked if you made it to labor without finding out!" 

Pregnancy Ticker
  • Options
    We will definitely find out.  Neither of us had a moment of wanting to wait.  I want to start getting to know my baby as soon as possible.  And part of that includes being able to call it by it's name.  I'm so excited to know!  And so impatient I could never wait :)  
    BabyFruit Ticker

BFP 3.8.16  EDD 11.20.16

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"