Babies: 9 - 12 Months
Options

heatherm818

You're seriously going to compare not using a monitor at night to FF a young infant?  First of all, you can't hear true choking.  Not using a monitor does not in any way, shape or form increase likelihood/risk of death.  I know all you people love your angelcare and video monitors and all that stuff - but the fact of the matter is that none of that crap can prevent infant death.  It just can't...so kindly fvck off.
Photobucket

Bar tab = $156,000, Bus to Foxwoods = $0, Puking in the Stanley Cup = Priceless

Re: heatherm818

• Options
    I wasn't directly comparing it.  I was just saying I think you are making a terrible decision. 
    AlternaTickers - Cool, free Web tickers AlternaTickers - Cool, free Web tickers
  • Loading the player...
  • Options
    Any I think people who waste tons of money on dumb gadgets, and are up half the night are making terrible decisions.  Those are opinions.  Safety is based on facts.
    Photobucket

• Options

imageDreamsicle23:
    Any I think people who waste tons of money on dumb gadgets, and are up half the night are making terrible decisions.  Those are opinions.  Safety is based on facts.

If you think $10 is too much to spend on a dumb gadget to make sure you can hear if your kid needs you, ok.

• Options
    Rach21Rach21 member
    Maybe heatherm818 lives in a mansion with the nursery 30 doors down. Our kid's room is on the other side of the bathroom. I hear him when he rolls over without the monitor, but I kept the monitor after he woke up with a bruise from hitting his unusually beautiful face. It's probably going to be donated to newbie parents once DS perfects his "MAAAA-MAAA" scream.
    imageimage 
    TTC #2: My chart
  • Options

imageRach21:
    Maybe heatherm818 lives in a mansion with the nursery 30 doors down. Our kid's room is on the other side of the bathroom. I hear him when he rolls over without the monitor, but I kept the monitor after he woke up with a bruise from hitting his unusually beautiful face. It's probably going to be donated to newbie parents once DS perfects his "MAAAA-MAAA" scream.

God I wish I lived in a mansion.  If the door is across the hall and you can hear the baby without a monitor, then don't get a monitor.  She said she shuts the doors, turns the monitor off and the AC on and gets a peaceful night of sleep.  So she is saying she makes it so she can't hear her baby so she can STTN.  I don't think monitors are always necessary.  I think it is necessary to hear your baby if they need you. 

• Options
    Rach21Rach21 member
    imageheatherm818:

imageRach21:

God I wish I lived in a mansion.  If the door is across the hall and you can hear the baby without a monitor, then don't get a monitor.  She said she shuts the doors, turns the monitor off and the AC on and gets a peaceful night of sleep.  So she is saying she makes it so she can't hear her baby so she can STTN.  I don't think monitors are always necessary.  I think it is necessary to hear your baby if they need you. 

If your baby is 0-6 months and things are still pretty touch-and-go, I agree with you, heatherm818. But as my LO grows, his middle-of-the-night vocal sessions have little to do with "needing" me (other than an occasional wet diaper or lost paci). Mostly, he just wants to see me and giggles the second I go back in the nursery. It would be cute (and flattering) if it was a daytime nap, but when I have to get up early and drive 45 minutes to work, it really blows. I have almost fallen asleep behind the wheel more times than I can count, and DH works 12 hour days so asking him to step in when he's dog-tired doesn't help anyone either. As long as his "needs" are met, I see no problem turning off the monitors, closing the doors, and getting the rest we need, too.

imageimage 
    TTC #2: My chart
  • Options
    imageRach21:
    imageheatherm818:

imageRach21:

If your baby is 0-6 months and things are still pretty touch-and-go, I agree with you, heatherm818. But as my LO grows, his middle-of-the-night vocal sessions have little to do with "needing" me (other than an occasional wet diaper or lost paci). Mostly, he just wants to see me and giggles the second I go back in the nursery. It would be cute (and flattering) if it was a daytime nap, but when I have to get up early and drive 45 minutes to work, it really blows. I have almost fallen asleep behind the wheel more times than I can count, and DH works 12 hour days so asking him to step in when he's dog-tired doesn't help anyone either. As long as his "needs" are met, I see no problem turning off the monitors, closing the doors, and getting the rest we need, too.

Thanks for the back up.  His room is close enough that I could hear a cry.  It wasn't AC season until he was 10 months old...at that point I figured nothing that bad could happen if I didn't hear him right away....why start using a monitor now?

Photobucket

• Options
    imageDreamsicle23:
    imageRach21:
    imageheatherm818:

imageRach21:

Thanks for the back up.  His room is close enough that I could hear a cry.  It wasn't AC season until he was 10 months old...at that point I figured nothing that bad could happen if I didn't hear him right away....why start using a monitor now?

While I disagree that what you do is the equivalent of FF before a year, in another post you pretty much said that you just stuck your kid in a crib and shut the door every night since he was little over 4 months old and that you'd keep your door shut and AC on so you couldn't hear him.

Sweet Baby Samson born 11.16.10
    Darling Little Sydney born 12.22.12
    Two Babies in Heaven
    My Babe, More Precious is to Me
    Lilypie Third Birthday tickers

Lilypie First Birthday tickers

Image and video hosting by TinyPic
    ~A ridiculous amount of love to all my Golden Girls!~
  • Options

I just got that FF in this post meant forward facing.  I was about to freak out that people were saying formula was bad.  I was thinking "aren't we over this argument by the 9-12 board". 

I'm about to retire the monitor, there are many baby books out there that discourage monitors because "everyone sleeps better when the monitor is off"

Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • Options
    J+MSJ+MS member
    imageDreamsicle23:
    imageRach21:
    imageheatherm818:

imageRach21:

Wait what's the back story?

FTR, we've never had a baby monitor. We bedshared for 3 months and then moved Izzy to her crib and never looked back. You don't need one if you can hear them fine without it. That is not comparable at all to forward facing.

"Seriously, mommy forum people are some crazy ass bitches." New Year New You
  • Options
    imageJ+MS:
    imageDreamsicle23:
    imageRach21:
    imageheatherm818:

imageRach21:

FTR, we've never had a baby monitor. We bedshared for 3 months and then moved Izzy to her crib and never looked back. You don't need one if you can hear them fine without it. That is not comparable at all to forward facing.

Ok I wanted to be done with this, but I need to clarify. I do not have an issue with you not having a monitor with your room across the hall where you can hear the baby if he is really crying and he is 10 months old.  But in your other post, you implied that you shut your door and turned on a bunch of noise so you couldn't hear LO cry so you could sleep since he was 4 months old.  THAT is what I have an issue with.  And I was not comparing what you did to someone FF their kid early.  I was talking about how dumb some people on here are with someone and I was saying you were dumb for doing that.
  • Options
    abs05abs05 member
    imageheatherm818:
    imageJ+MS:
    imageDreamsicle23:
    imageRach21:
    imageheatherm818:

imageRach21:

Ok I wanted to be done with this, but I need to clarify. I do not have an issue with you not having a monitor with your room across the hall where you can hear the baby if he is really crying and he is 10 months old.  But in your other post, you implied that you shut your door and turned on a bunch of noise so you couldn't hear LO cry so you could sleep since he was 4 months old.  THAT is what I have an issue with.  And I was not comparing what you did to someone FF their kid early.  I was talking about how dumb some people on here are with someone and I was saying you were dumb for doing that.

That definitely made me cringe, too. 

I can't imagine not having my monitor--but my child sleeps upstairs and on the other side of the house.  The other night a breaker failed in her room and her fan and the monitor went out.  I didn't know until the morning, and when she woke up she was all sweaty.  She wasn't hot, but this tells me she may have cried and we never knew.  So, for me having a monitor is a neccessity.  Everyone is different of course, but I can't imagine shutting yourself off from your baby on purpose. 

Lilypie Third Birthday tickers
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"