Trouble TTC
Options

Is this normal?

DH and I went for the first official consult at the OB office yesterday.  When the appt was setup, I didn't ask what a "consult" entailed... and just assumed it's normal.  I realize that I should have asked.  From now on, I will.

Anyway.. we went to the consult.  I had DH come because I was certain they'd ask all sort of questions about both of us.  We waited for an hour and finally saw who I normally see.. (She's actually a certified midwife).  She came in and asked what the problem was.  I told her TTTC.  She asked the usual yearly questions.  Then, she said "Not to be mean, but it's usually the woman that has the issue.".  She asked my husband if he had other kids and if he worked in a hot office.  She said "We usually don't test the man midway through.  We'll set you up another appointment in two weeks with the OBGYN for more bloodwork."  Then ushered us out the door to get my blood drawn to test my Progesterone.  It all happened so fast... I wanted to ask questions but barely got a word in edgewise.  We waited for an hour to talk for maybe 8 minutes.  DH seemed pleased with the appt... Yea, I guess I would be too if the suggestion of issues was thrown at someone other than me immediately without even having to be tested... 

I wanted to ask her what about DH's "performance" issues.  Isn't that a sign of something?  You could say it was just stress.. but since we got together 10 years ago??  Is it normal for them to assume it's the woman and to put her through the ringer before even thinking it might be the man?

From reading the forums here, it seems like 7dpo is the time to test Progesterone... and I was only 6dpo.  Does 1 day matter that much?

The next appointment scheduled is not CD3... nor is it 7dpo.  It's somewhere right in between.  Is that normal?

Does all of this sound like the normal start to testing?  Or should I be looking for a new OB?

Me: 32, DH: 45... TTC #1 since May 2010
July - Nov 2011: Testing with OB... OB said everything looks good
March - Sept 2012: Moved to RE.. 4 treatment cycles - responses of one or no follicles
09.03.12: Diagnosed Poor Ovarian Response.. DE IVF only option
Feb - Nov 2012: Pursued Adoption. That door slammed shut.
12.23.12: Surprise BFP (first ever)... 12.25 - 12.31: Natural M/C

Re: Is this normal?

• Options

First - it is not usually the woman.  It is about a 50/50 split so I would insist on him getting testing as well, especially since his testing is not horribly invasive, just a little embarrassing.

I don't think 1 day will make a big difference on your progesterone, so 6dpo should be fine.  I would be looking for a new OB though that isn't so set on it being an issue with you.

TTC since 2010

lots of IUIs and 1 IVF all BFNs

FET currently on hold

photo guiness-1.jpg

• Options
    imagebtaylor19:

First - it is not usually the woman.  It is about a 50/50 split so I would insist on him getting testing as well, especially since his testing is not horribly invasive, just a little embarrassing.

I don't think 1 day will make a big difference on your progesterone, so 6dpo should be fine.  I would be looking for a new OB though that isn't so set on it being an issue with you.

Yes My OB did not have a problem testing my husband before she even met with me. I agree with btay.

Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • Loading the player...
  • Options
    I chart my cycles, so I told my ob that I've been ovulating and my cycles seem to be normal, I get AF about two weeks after I ovulate and my cycles are anywhere from 29 to 34 days.  My ob said because I was having regular cycles  he was first interested in testing DH and ordered an S/A.
    Little one is here.
  • Options

Neither I nor my doctor would proceed with my testing until the SA was done.  There is no way I would do an invasive procedure without all easier options being done first.  I would seriously consider finding a new doctor, perhaps one who will give you more than 8 minutes of the time that you are paying for.

Also, I would wonder how much a midwife knows about the male side of reproduction, so if you really want to stay with this woman then I would at least make sure that DH has a doctor of his own to work on his side of things.

TTC #1 since 6/10
  • Options
    ccamccam member

Like a PP said, it's not "usually the woman".  I would suggest meeting with an RE instead of your OB, this doesn't sound like her expertise.  From what I've read and gone through, common initial testing is cd3 b/w, HSG and an SA for your husband. 

Also, your siggy says you've only been TTC for 9 months, maybe that's why your OB didn't want to move ahead with testing.  Is there a reason you're looking for help already? 

Trying for #1 since May 2010   l   DX ~ Unexplained Infertility June 2011

IUI #1&2 = BFN; IUI #3 = BFP, m/c @ 6 weeks

November '11 ~ IVF#1 ~ ER 11/18 (29R, 17F) ~ 5dt of one beautiful blast on 11/23 = BFP!!

Beta #1 9dp5dt = 116, P4 = 28 ~ Beta #2 13dp5dt = 700 ~ Beta #3 20dp5dt = 9500, P4 = 26

1st u/s 12/27 - hb of 156!! EDD 8.10.12 :)   **TEAM GREEN!**

Sweet baby boy born 8.18.12

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

Trying for #2

FET #1 - October '13 - c/p   l   FET #2 - December '13 - cancelled :(   l   FET #2.2 - 1.30.14 - BFN

~ More testing - hysteroscopy, endometrial biopsy & more b/w - all normal / negative~

Surprise BFP while waiting on FET #3 ~ beta #1 500; beta #2 1600; first u/s 4/3 - measuring 5w5d, no hb yet!; 2nd u/s 4/10 - hb 132, measuring 6w6d - EDD 11.29.14 :)    **TEAM GREEN!**

Beautiful baby girl born 11.24.14

• Options
    imagekgp_061910:
    imagebtaylor19:

Yes My OB did not have a problem testing my husband before she even met with me. I agree with btay.

The first thing they should do is an SA since it's cheap and easy.  That attitude is so horrible... it is not always the woman, and it's actually really offensive and sexist to suggest that.  (In fact, I know a number of doctors who think that this old-school, historical attitude is why so little is known about MFI -- because it was easier to blame the woman!)

Severe MFI. Me: supposedly all clear but eggs showed vacuoles.

IVF #1 January 2012, ER Jan 14th: 34R, 27M, 23F. Day 3: 18 embies still strong. Day 5: zero "good," one "fair," the rest "poor." Transferred 3. None made it to blast or to freeze. Jan 28: BFN.

Lucky IVF #2: Transferred two beautiful day three embies on St. Patrick's Day. BFP on HPT 7dp3dt. Beta 1 (14dpER)=106; Beta 2 (16dpER)=140; Beta 3 (19dpER)=264! First u/s 4.17.

imageimageimageBabyFruit Ticker

Hope is the thing with feathers - that perches in the soul - and sings the tune without the words - and never stops - at all - (Emily Dickinson)

• Options
    imagebtaylor19:

Yes to all of this. 

• Options

Sounds normal for an OBs office - they are often clueless when it comes to infertility issues.  The midwife at my office told me we would get pregnant if we just have sex EOD - umm, yeah - thats works really great if your not ovulating and have low sperm count.

Anyway - my recommendation is to find an RE if you suspect you have fertility issues. 

TTC #1 since 6/09
    Dx: PCOS and MFI
    3 IUIs, 4 IVFs = BFFN
      3rd RE: IVF #5/FET = BFP
    14dp5dt=1170 16dp5dt=2573

1st u/s=
    TWINS!
    It's a Boy and a Girl!

Born at 34w3d! 

• Options
    kelnyckelnyc member

If you are having TTTC, you should see an RE. They are the experts on getting you pregnant, wheras an OB takes care of you once you are already pregnant. There is no logic in not testing your husband from the beginning. None. It sounds like a crappy appointment and I'd see someone else if I were you.

PS- 6dpo should be fine.

Lilypie Pregnancy tickers 
    Lilypie Second Birthday tickers 
    After 22 cycles and 4 failed IUIs, Serafina joined our family through IVF/ICSI, born 8.28.12
    Our surprise baby, Juliette, is due 12.8.14!

• Options
    imageccam:

Like a PP said, it's not "usually the woman".  I would suggest meeting with an RE instead of your OB, this doesn't sound like her expertise.  From what I've read and gone through, common initial testing is cd3 b/w, HSG and an SA for your husband. 

Also, your siggy says you've only been TTC for 9 months, maybe that's why your OB didn't want to move ahead with testing.  Is there a reason you're looking for help already? 

I'd agree that I probably jumped the gun on it a bit.  DH and I even discussed that before going... especially since I just started charting BBT this cycle.  I knew BBT could help in the past.. but didn't really fully understand in what way until I found TB.  (I was already doing the occassional OPKs and watching for EWCM in previous cycles) .  We contemplated cancelling.  At the same time, I have this gut feeling that something isn't right.  (There are factors that feed into that feeling too.. So, it's not all based on gut.. Smile)  So, we went ahead with the first appointment.. 

Me: 32, DH: 45... TTC #1 since May 2010
    July - Nov 2011: Testing with OB... OB said everything looks good
    March - Sept 2012: Moved to RE.. 4 treatment cycles - responses of one or no follicles
    09.03.12: Diagnosed Poor Ovarian Response.. DE IVF only option
    Feb - Nov 2012: Pursued Adoption. That door slammed shut.
    12.23.12: Surprise BFP (first ever)... 12.25 - 12.31: Natural M/C
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"