Austin Babies
Options

Shower Dilemma

One of my good friends is expecting her second baby - a girl, who's due within days of her oldest daughter's second birthday - in December. I was thinking about offering to throw her a shower but since she's having another girl, she'll be able to reuse most of the oldest daughter's clothes, gear, etc. and thus won't have a need for much (I'm not even sure if she plans on registering). Do y'all have any alternative shower ideas?

Re: Shower Dilemma

• Options
    you could throw her a "meet the baby" party after the new baby arrives instead?
  • Options
    What I've done in the past for second baby showers is to throw a diaper shower. You always need new diapers with number 2 unless of course they cloth diaper.
  • Loading the player...
  • Options

TRUST ME when I tell you there is still all kinds of crap you need to buy for baby #2 ! It's not about the big ticket gear items but all those little things that do need replacing. Plus, not all hand me downs make it down =) Only half of Abby's jammies made it through without being horribly stained. Like too stained for me to even look at just staying home all day.

Lilypie Kids Birthday tickers Lilypie Third Birthday tickers
  • Options

I did diaper showers as well for both of my sisters.  They didn't register for anything, but they still got a substantial amount of staples that needed to be replaced, as well as boxes and boxes of diapers.

I think just about any mom out there knows that the financial burden for DC #2 and on isn't alleviated by leftovers. 

• Options

imagelovemydog:
    you could throw her a "meet the baby" party after the new baby arrives instead?

*non-mom chiming in*

I've heard of this idea, but aren't you worried about passing your baby around in a large group of people when they're that young? I truly have no idea about these things, but I'm a worrier by nature.

• Options
    What about doing just a sprinkle with a few of her close friends?
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • Options

i would have loved anything to celebrate this pregnancy, no matter how tiny the celebration. it's nice to know that people are excited that youre having another baby, and it's also nice to get together with friends to share in your happiness.

one person (other than the two grandmothers) has given our second baby a gift. everyone assumes that you can reuse everything, but our babies are being born at completely different seasons and im expecting this baby to be a bit smaller than ruby was at birth. i have had to buy a good amount of clothes on my own, have to buy new towels and washcloths b/c ours have gotten pretty worn in three years, etc. 

and i know this is silly, but i feel so badly when i look at bea's baby book. i started it last week and there's a space for "celebrations" and another for "special gifts." i have one thing to write in there. it makes me sad for her.  

• Options

My BFF had her second girl this summer. She said that she didn't want a shower and didn't need anything, so I offered her a sip and see (party for people to meet the baby) or a big sister celebration for her first daughter (who is my god daughter.) She chose to do the big sister party.

Then my mom and I started wondering WTF we volunteered to do! Ultimately, it ended up just being a lunch at my mom's house, but was in honor of the big sister to be. We send out an invitation that was girly with tea cups on it that said something like,

"You're invited to a lunch and tea in honor of Anne Marie!"

It then said it was to celebrate her becoming a big sister and asked for no gifts. We bought several big sister books and used them to decorate and entertain. There was only one other little girl there, the rest were friends of the mother and her mother. We also had a child size table set for the girls with paper and crayons and a felt tea set that the guest of honor got to take home. It ended up being a lot of fun. I had posted on the baby shower board asking for ideas and got flamed that we were going to make her a spoiled brat and cause her to be too entitled, which wasn't helpful or true. As it turned out, my friend said that her DD asked if there was going to be a "little sister party" when her sister came! She wanted her to get one too!

• Options
    One of my bffs is having another girl just 19 months after her first.  I hosted a baby shower for her and we all embroidered little squares for her at the shower that I am going to turn into a baby quilt for baby 2.  So it was kind of a different twist for the shower but we ALL still bought her gifts for #2.  I didn't say anything in the invite as far as a registry but everyone knew to still bring something and it was mostly clothes and books (she was flying home and needed to pack it).  Even if they're going to be close in age, every baby should have some fresh new things of their own and we all still wanted to celebrate with our friend
  • Options
    imageBoxerMomma:

one person (other than the two grandmothers) has given our second baby a gift. 

:: going shopping to buy something fun for Bea :: 

• Options
    imageMrsMillerTime:
    imageBoxerMomma:

that's exactly why i posted, so you would buy her gifts.  

• Options
    imageBoxerMomma:
    imageMrsMillerTime:
    imageBoxerMomma:

that's exactly why i posted, so you would buy her gifts.  

i know, duh.

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"