Need carrier help — The Bump
Attachment Parenting

Need carrier help

I'm looking to buy a carrier for the new baby.  We had a crappy Baby Bjorn with DS and we all hated it.  Therefore, I ended up just carrying him in my arms most of the time. 

I'd like to find something that I can use from birth to toddlerhood. I don't know if a wrap is really my style...the ones I've tried on seem to cumbersome and time consuming (Moby and a local WAHM).  I guess I'm probably looking for a soft structured carrier.

Can I get by with JUST an Ergo, Beco or other brand or do I really need something for the newborn stage and a second for older baby/toddler stage?  If so, recommend your brand Big Smile

* DS1...allergic to dairy, peanuts, eggs and turkey *
Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

love is for every her, love is for every him, love is for everyone

Re: Need carrier help

• my ring sling was great for my dd when she was a newborn, and works great now that she is almost two. sooo no you can get a one-size-fits all type sling for all the stages.

Little Rose is 2 1/2.
  • Loading the player...
  • If you are looking for something you can carry them in for a prolonged period of time in as both a toddler and a baby then your best bet is an Ergo or an Ergo Sport.  Those work from about 3 month/4 months all the way till they are 40 lbs.  I use one everyday with DD (and have since about 3 1/2 months old) and she is now 25 lbs and 33 inches tall and it still supports her weight beautifully.  We have done several mile walks in it and I still feel fine.  They are nice because you can do a front carry when they are little and when they get older switch it to a back pack style carry.

A ring sling is also fantastic to have around and truly will work from birth thru toddler but once a kid is over about 15 lbs they are more for short walks or quick up and downs since all the weight is on one shoulder and isnt distributed out to your hips or evenly across your back.  If it's going to be your only carrier and you plan to do a lot of walking with it or use it for prolonged periods I wouldnt reccommend a ring sling.  I love ours for working around the house when DD is just being clingy and wants to be held but I still need to be able to do stuff. 

Check out The Babywearer's FSOT boards there are often used carriers on there as well as used ring slings.  If you buy used you can probably get both for the price of one Ergo new.

We have a Boba as well which is great for toddlers (because of the wider seat) but it isnt recommened for kids under 1 so stay away from that if you are looking for a carrier that will work from baby thru toddler.  Good Luck!

ETA: You can get an infant insert for the Ergo to make it work when they are little baby's without head control but that can be hot so depending when you are due and where you live it might work it might not.  You can also just use a recieving blanket up under their bottom to help raise them up a bit so they dont sit so low in the carrier.

• Loading the player...
  • kms34kms34 member
    imagenumeria11:

If you are looking for something you can carry them in for a prolonged period of time in as both a toddler and a baby then your best bet is an Ergo or an Ergo Sport.  Those work from about 3 month/4 months all the way till they are 40 lbs.  I use one everyday with DD (and have since about 3 1/2 months old) and she is now 25 lbs and 33 inches tall and it still supports her weight beautifully.  We have done several mile walks in it and I still feel fine.  They are nice because you can do a front carry when they are little and when they get older switch it to a back pack style carry.

A ring sling is also fantastic to have around and truly will work from birth thru toddler but once a kid is over about 15 lbs they are more for short walks or quick up and downs since all the weight is on one shoulder and isnt distributed out to your hips or evenly across your back.  If it's going to be your only carrier and you plan to do a lot of walking with it or use it for prolonged periods I wouldnt reccommend a ring sling.  I love ours for working around the house when DD is just being clingy and wants to be held but I still need to be able to do stuff. 

Check out The Babywearer's FSOT boards there are often used carriers on there as well as used ring slings.  If you buy used you can probably get both for the price of one Ergo new.

We have a Boba as well which is great for toddlers (because of the wider seat) but it isnt recommened for kids under 1 so stay away from that if you are looking for a carrier that will work from baby thru toddler.  Good Luck!

ETA: You can get an infant insert for the Ergo to make it work when they are little baby's without head control but that can be hot so depending when you are due and where you live it might work it might not.  You can also just use a recieving blanket up under their bottom to help raise them up a bit so they dont sit so low in the carrier.

Thank you! That helps a lot. I'd rather not pay full price for a sling and carrier so I'll check out that website.  I'm due in the winter so the Ergo insert/receiving blankets might be ok.

* DS1...allergic to dairy, peanuts, eggs and turkey *

love is for every her, love is for every him, love is for everyone
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards