High-Risk Pregnancy
Options

A question for a friend about the hook effect.

I really don't know what board to ask so I'll start here.  My friend is almost a month late and has had 10 plus pregnancy test (home and hospital)  But because she doesn't have health insurance they wont do further testing such as ultrasounds.  She says she feels the same as when she was PG with her first.  She was told about the hook effect and was also told if indeed she was experiencing this it could end up in a high risk pregnancy or miscarriage.  Is this info true?  Have any of you ladies heard of this or experienced this?  She's very worried if she is PG and not getting help from anyone.  Or could some thing else be happening?  Thanks ladies
Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml

Re: A question for a friend about the hook effect.

• Options
    I'd tell your friend to visit a community health center or a pregnancy crisis center center, where they might do an u/s for her at no cost or very low cost?
  • Options

I don't know anything about the hook effect, so I can't help you there. :(

However, I would encourage your friend to look into community health options. Is there a county hospital nearby? Those tend to offer plans for the uninsured. Or go to Planned Parenthood or something similar, and see how they can help. There has to be SOMEONE who will help- nobody wants a pregnant woman to go without care.

Good luck to your friend!

Wyatt 9/6/2011 
    Tessa 7/5/2013
    Baby #3- ????? (ttc soon)

• Loading the player...
  • Options
    imageAmanda&EricB:

I don't know anything about the hook effect, so I can't help you there. :(

However, I would encourage your friend to look into community health options. Is there a county hospital nearby? Those tend to offer plans for the uninsured. Or go to Planned Parenthood or something similar, and see how they can help. There has to be SOMEONE who will help- nobody wants a pregnant woman to go without care.

Good luck to your friend!

Ditto this. Planned parenthood or another similar organization will provide healthcare. Maybe you can help her look into options if she's overwhelmed.
    Lilypie Premature Baby tickers

Josiah James

Image and video hosting by TinyPic

Naomi Rose

Image and video hosting by TinyPic Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Options
    She called around today and they said without a positive pregnancy test they wont do an ultrasound.  But something might be wrong with her and she's just scared at this point.  I researched the hook effect a little this afternoon and women have gone a whole pregnancy with negative urine and blood test, but carried a baby to term.  Most were high risk (all the ones I came a crossed today).  I told her to go to the county clinic and see a doctor.  They can feel and see if the uterus is growing then order and ultrasound.  Thanks for taking the time to answer my question.  I just didn't know what to tell her after the places I found online wouldn't see her without a positive test result.
  • Options

Can she go to an urgent care clinic? Or just tell the doctor that she has gotten some positive tests, but some negative, and she's concerned. Heck, if all else fails, go to the ER. It's way too serious to leave something untreated like that. I can imagine she's very scared!

Wyatt 9/6/2011 
    Tessa 7/5/2013
    Baby #3- ????? (ttc soon)

• Options
    She's gone to the hospital and all they do is test her tell her its negative and send her home.  I would demand them to do something more.  What kind of facility doesnt listen to the patients concern.  Poor thing I feel so bad for her.  I feel like having her drive the 3 hours here and take her to my dr.  She'd see her just to check her out. 
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"