April 2011 Moms
Options

No poop= tons of spit up?

DD hasn't pooped in two days now and I'm starting to worry. She's breastfed and usually poops every single day. She has reflux too, but has been doing so well on her meds we were considering weaning her off of them with her doctor's approval. However, since this poop strike, she has been spitting up just as badly as she used to before the meds. I'm wondering if the two problems are related. Maybe she doesn't have room in her stomach for as much breastmilk now so she is spitting the majority of it back up. Who knows! Anyone have any insight or ideas for me? Even a tip to get a breastfed baby to poop? My poor little munchkin is totally uncomfortable :(

Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml

Re: No poop= tons of spit up?

• Options
    LoCarbLoCarb member
    If the baby's tummy is upset b/c of constipation I can see how it would increase her spit up.  Try 1 oz of apple or pear juice or 1 oz dark karo syrup mixed w/ 1 oz of H20 in a bottle.  This will help move things along. 
  • Options
    I'm not sure about the reflux thing, but my baby is EBF, and at around 6 weeks went from pooping daily, to only pooping once every 2 or 3 days.  I did a lot of research and read that it can be very normal for breastfed babies to have a change as their digestive systems mature.  I had called the doctor and he wasn't concerned at all.  He gave me a remedy to try if my LO went 5 days, but we didn't have to wait that long. I would encourage you to call doctor before giving any at home remedies.  From what I've read, most sources strongly discourage giving any sort of juice or anything.  Call your dr and get his/her advice. 
  • Loading the player...
  • Options
    Its normalfir ebf babies to go days between pooping. You can always gently massage her tummy or bicycle her legs to work it a little. But I think a week us even normal since they're taking so much out of bm. My pedi said we could try an oz or 2 of pedialyte if she got constipated (like 5 days) when we start solids.
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Options
    I actually tried drinking the Mott's apple juice myself, the one that has 2 servings of fruit in it. She pooped hours later! Hooray! Tried the tummy massage and bicycle kicks too. Thanks!
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"