Georgia Babies
Options

? About preschool

I have a few friends that are putting their 20 month old in preschool this fall. What does the curriculum look like for a 2 year old? I have a full time DC provider that I thought could do some teaching while she has DS. I wasnt going to enroll him until next year but I don't want him behind.. Thanks!
Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml

Re: ? About preschool

• Options

See this post from last week.  2 year old is not much different than 1 year old.  But I wouldn't be too worried about your child being behind at this age!  There is plenty of time to worry about that later on :-)

https://community.thebump.com/cs/ks/forums/thread/56035999.aspx

• Options
    I really wouldn't worry about them being behind at that age...I did put DS #1 in preschool in the 1 year old class at 18 months, but it was more just to give him something fun to do while I had a newborn at home a couple mornings a week.  They did big concepts like colors, seasons, manners, sharing, etc...but I of course talked about those kind of things with him at home as well.  It was just a nice break for us both, he got to socialize with other kids the same age without me around, but again I don't think it's super-important if you don't think your child needs it.  It worked for our family!  DS #2 started at 23 months old in the 2 year old class because he just wanted to be doing what his big brother was doing (I put him in a class "ahead" b/c he missed it by 17 days and they were fine with him doing that, will have him do the 5 year old pre-k class when the time comes so that he starts kindergarten where he's supposed to).  DD probably will start at 2.5 years in the 2 year old class when the time comes. 
    Jack 3.5.07 / Ethan 9.17.08 / Lauren 4.3.11 image
  • Loading the player...
  • Options
    I didn't send either of my boys to any program until they were 3 (my youngest is starting this year) and don't feel like they missed out on anything by not starting earlier. I would not worry about moving him from where he is if you are happy there!
    Grant Thomas 8.8.06 and Reid Alexander 8.11.08
  • Options

If you ask parents why their kid is ready for school they'll say things like "He knows his ABCs and can count to 20."  But if you ask an educator, they'll say things like "He understands and follows instructions, he follows a regular schedule, etc."  Basically, the stuff a little kid knows or has been taught like counting and the alphabet isn't as important as where a child is developmentally.  So for a kid of 2 years old, it's less important a provider teach a kid according to a curriculum as it is teaching them and guiding them socially, emotionally, etc.  So I would say, if your current provider is taking good care of your child, don't worry about the curriculum.

I read somewhere that the one indicator of future academic success for a child is how much time parents spent reading to them.

Lilypie Pregnancy tickers
    DMoney will be a kickass big sister
    Lilypie - Personal pictureLilypie Third Birthday tickers
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"