Pregnant after 35
Options

When do they give you the Glucose test?

My doc hasn't even mentioned it yet - I've been a bit anxious (not worried, more like "when, already?") as there are diabetes in my family, and I started the pregnancy on the heavy side and - for me, especially when compared to posts around the Bump - gained quite a bit during my first tri (now in the middle of my 2nd).  

My adult-daughter was just diagnosed with hypoglycemia and I was sharing with her one of my "weird preggo symptoms" and she said that that was actually one of her symptoms as well.  I'm not self-diagnosing, but it got me to thinking that the GT hasn't even been brought up in convo at the OBs office yet. 

Is it something they only schedule if you mention something first?  It seems they want to do a whole lot of other tests "just to be sure" (you know, cause I'm old - eyeroll) but this one seems so common here on TB, I'm beginning to wonder why it's not on OBs radar. 

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

Re: When do they give you the Glucose test?

• Options
    They should bring it up., I don't know of anyone who was with an OB who didn't have it done. If you are concerned, I would call the nurse and ask.

As far as when. I am thinking I was about 30 weeks or so. I remember I was good and pregnant by then :)
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • Options
    They did mine at 27 weeks. But I think you should talk to your OB, maybe because of your history you need to get it done earlier.
  • Loading the player...
  • Options
    They also did mine at 27 weeks.  My doctor's office does them between 26-28 weeks, but as pp said, I would mention your history at your next OB appointment.
  • Options
    ALF222ALF222 member
    I also have a strong family history of diabetes so I had a test early (around 10 weeks) and another one later, I think around 26 weeks. Also, know that it is pretty easy to fail the one hour test. If you do, try not to worry too much. Lots of women fail it but end up passing the three hour test (I did). Good luck!
  • Options
    Super, gals.  I'll check with him at my appointment this week.  Thanks for the feedback!
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Options

They will probably bring it up at your next appt or I would ask them just to get the timeline.

I know in my last pg as things come to be due, the nurse gives me the info at the beginning of the appt so I can ask questions when the doctor comes in - glucose test, Rhogam shot, GBS test, etc.

Lilypie Third Birthday tickers 4/9/09 - Chloe, our angel twin Lilypie First Birthday tickers>
  • Options
    28 weeks-ish, unless they see a reason to do it sooner, I think.  :)
    You are likely to be eaten by a grue. Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker image
  • Options

I can't remember.. maybe like 26-28 weeks???  I, too, am much heavier time around.. am about 30 lbs heavier than I was last time.. gained about 40 lbs so far.. and am totally NOT as active as i was last pregnancy (I did yoga and walked daily last time)... and have major family history (my mom died from complications of juvenile diabetes and both of my sisters had GD with ALL of their pregnancies.. and for some reason.. I don't have it.. last time I failed the one hour (was borderline and then they retested me and I failed it...) but then totally passed the 3 hour.. and this time.. I completely passed the 1 hour and didn't even have to take the 3 hour.

I was really expecting to have it and DON"T.. go figure. 

So.. my reason for telling you all this is.. you might just be fine.

Good luck.. but be sure to mention the family history to your OB.

• Options
    I had one at 11 weeks and one at 27 weeks.  The 11 weeks was because of family history, age and my weight.  I passed it.  The 27 weeks I failed and had to take the 3 hour test friday.  Should know this week if i passed it.
    image Sandy RIP 1-11-09 imageBaby Birthday Ticker Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Options
    28 weeks for me.
  • Options
    mine OB just gave me paper work to go to the lab for it last week. she wants me to go between aug 8-20 (I think those were the dates, not in front of me at the moment) Im now 24wks so I think that would be my 26th week she wants me to try to go for it. I think its usually end of 2nd tri though.
  • Options

From what I was told I would be set up to take mine between 20 - 24 weeks since my Dad died from complications from diabetes and my mothers family also had a few deaths from diabetes as well.....(yeah I don't come from the best stock)

But even when I asked the A$$ before I switch to the new OB he just kept blowing me off and telling me "I'm the Dr and I will tell you when you get tests done"

But I think I am in a rare situation.  The majority of people get the test between 26-28 weeks.

AlternaTickers - Cool, free Web tickers BabyName Ticker
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"