Preemies
Options

MoMs: Babies coming home at diffent times...

Did you have a lot of guilt for the LO that stayed at the hospital? I miss Vivian so much when Im not at the hospital. I cant spend that much time with her because of Annie and Cecelia being home; I only take them to visit her when they appointments; I still go every day but only for a couple hours. I get to devout that time to her but I feel so guilty and sad leaving her. Then when I get home I want to spend time with A & C but feel guilty because V isn't here. So is this something I can add to her list of 'things to discuss with the therapist' when she's a teenager?

ETA: I told DH that I was spending all day at the hospital on the weekend with her.

Lilypie Second Birthday tickers

Re: MoMs: Babies coming home at diffent times...

• Options
    Its REALLY hard leaving one behind while others are home my boys came home at different times and every time I would leave the hospital I would cry my eyes out which I never did with them both being there. The hard part for me was feeling like we were playing favorites to the one that was home. Stay positive your family will be under the same roof soon    
    TTC since April 07 DX w/ Hypothyroidism Sept 07 BFP May 08...D&C August 08 TTC Break in 09 3 Cycles of Clomid, showed O but no Pregnancy 10 First RE appointment August 10 S/A -Normal 56 million and 71% molarity HSG on 10-5- All Clear Twin Boys born May 28th at 30 weeks Lilypie Premature Baby tickers
  • Options

Unfortunately, I was discharged Tuesday and we have to leave our first baby in the hospital until at least Sunday best case scenario. It is so frustrating and emotional.  You always imagine the happy day that you are discharged and are wheeled out with baby in your arms...

We almost feel worse when we go to visit her so its really hard. We want to go there and "support" her and be there for her. But inevitably, we end up getting teary eyed and upset for a few hours after we leave.

I know its irrational, but I feel like she will forget who we are and we won't be able to bond with her during the first weeks of her life. I feel robbed of it and said that by the time she is out my maternity leave will almost be done.

So I definately relate :(

• Loading the player...
  • Options
    That was one of the really hard parts of our stay for me. We had 4 weeks in between babies coming home and I felt really guilty leaving Liam there. Now that we have been home, however, it's like it never happened. Liam is such a mommas boy! Good luck, I know it feels impossibly hard but this too shall pass and when everyone is home things will work themselves out.
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • Options
    kck329kck329 member

I obviously don't have multiples but every time this happens I think about how hard it would be. You are doing a great job caring for all three girls (who have beautiful names by the way-I just knew their innitials before!). I can't imagine having your heart in three places like that but Vivian will be home soon and then you will have everyone together at last.

Be strong-you are so close to ending this part of your journey!

• Options

It's so very hard. You are not alone with these feelings at all. For almost two whole months I'd drag Blake back and forth to visit Addison and everyday feeling like I was missing a huge peice of the puzzle. It was also difficult because DH is currently in his busy season which has left ALOT of this up to just me. He gets home at 10pm and it's not a wise idea to visit Addison that time of night, so I knew I had to take Blake and going during the day while everyone else worked.

One of my saving graces was a few AMAZING nurses that kept me in the loop and were my voice if I wasn't present.

There were days when I could stay for HOURS and days when I was lucky to get an hour before I had to leave because Blake was too fussy OR had his own appts, etc.

The only thing to do is hang in there... Hopefully you won't have to do this dance much longer.

TTC #1 since 4/2007... MFI (low motility/low Testosterone) & PCOS IVF #1 August 2010...BFP 1st sono shows TWINS!!!! Due May 23rd 2011 Ruptured @ 21 weeks (Jan 13) Delivered 26 weekers (Blake and Addison) on Valentine's Day... Keeping faith and praying, God has a plan and we just have to learn to follow. Our Blog ... ourvalentinesdaysurprise.blogspot.com Lilypie Premature Baby tickers
  • Options
    imageJakesBride07:

It's so very hard. You are not alone with these feelings at all. For almost two whole months I'd drag Blake back and forth to visit Addison and everyday feeling like I was missing a huge peice of the puzzle. It was also difficult because DH is currently in his busy season which has left ALOT of this up to just me. He gets home at 10pm and it's not a wise idea to visit Addison that time of night, so I knew I had to take Blake and going during the day while everyone else worked.

One of my saving graces was a few AMAZING nurses that kept me in the loop and were my voice if I wasn't present.

There were days when I could stay for HOURS and days when I was lucky to get an hour before I had to leave because Blake was too fussy OR had his own appts, etc.

The only thing to do is hang in there... Hopefully you won't have to do this dance much longer.

All of this. I'm lucky the our hospital allows me to bring JS to the hospital when I visit H. And like Jakes said - sometimes we are there the entire day and others for maybe an hour.
    DH keeps reminding me that H doesn't know any different than being at the hospital. Nor does he have a concept of time at this point. It's comforting to me knowing that he will not remember his NICU time.
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • Options

I can't speak to this, because I haven't experienced it.  But, every time I see this happen my heart breaks a little for the parents.  I can't imagine the stress and sadness it would cause. 

Hopefully you w ill all be reunited at home soon!

Born at 31w3d due to severe IUGR & Placental Insufficiency--2lbs 3ounces

We'll miss you sweet Debbie Girl (4.21.12) and sweet Cindy Girl (8.9.12)
    Lilypie Premature Baby tickers

• Options
    I remember feeling so lost after Ian came home and Jack was still in NICU. It was flu/RSV season and the NICU wouldn't let me bring Ian in with me, so I either had to bring someone with me to the hospital to watch Ian while I was with Jack or I had to find someone to watch Ian so I could go. And since it was so hard to arrange, I could only spend a few hours a day at the NICU. I would feel absolutely terrible, like Ian was the favored child because he was home and I could bond with him. I used to rock Jack in NICU, attached to all his monitors, and cry my eyes out because I felt like I didn't know him. And then I'd feel bad at home because he wasn't there and I'd feel guilty for feeling bad if it interfered with bonding with Ian. But once Jack came home (and he did), it got so much better. You make up for lost time really quickly and it doesn't seem like either of them remembers anything. After having them home for the past 3 months, I can honestly say that I don't feel more bonded to one vs the other. Hang in there, she'll be home with you and her sisters soon!
    Lilypie Kids Birthday tickersLilypie Second Birthday tickers 

Lilypie Pregnancy tickers
  • Options
    Thanks everyone. I know she will be home soon and one day this will all be a thing of the past. Plus, she isn't going to remember when I wasn't able to visit her when she Is older.

I was only able to peek in on her this afternoon but I plan to go back up there as soon as DH gets home. Tue this weekend I will spend many hours with her.

Lilypie Second Birthday tickers
  • Options

Yup. Totally get that. Luckily our first two went home only a couple days apart and we could bring the babies back with us. When I had 2 at home and 1 there, though, it was pretty impossible, so I had to leave them at home with hubby while I made the hour drive down and stayed for 2 feeds, then came back.

Then, it turned out that she doesn't like the bottle, so for me to get her home I had to board at the hospital for 48 hours to show she could nurse all feeds and gain weight. Longest 2 days of my life being away from the other two. 

My point is - it's hard, but it all seems like a blur/distant memory (and it was only a week ago). I wouldn't wish it on anyone, but it is possible to make it through and I doubt I'll remember much of it in a few years.

~*~ Nikki ~*~ DS born 2/18/08! TTC #2 since 01/2009 11/01 Round #5 Clomid 100 mg, IUI 11/14, at 10dpiui 11/26 Beta:12dpiui 114 11/29 Beta:15dpiui 755 1/9/10 First U/S: TRIPLETS! 6/20/11 And then there were six... http://andbabiesmakesix.wordpress.com/ Lilypie Premature Baby tickers
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"