School-Aged Children
Options

Road Trip Travel Basket Ideas Needed

Hello everyone! My DD and I are headed out for our first big road trip together to Niagara Falls. Roughly an eight hour drive from where we live. I would like to make an inexpensive but fun road trip goodie basket for her. Thus far this is what I've purchased:

Target $1 section: plastic pink basket, 2 crayola coloring/activity books, reading for kindergarten activity book, dry erase board, dry erase markers and as a special treat a Barbie Fairytopia DVD.

I was planning on bringing other DVD's along, as well as a couple of craft items. Anything else that you would add?

Re: Road Trip Travel Basket Ideas Needed

• Options

Some easy healthy snacks, a water bottle, paper dolls (maybe magnetic ones would be best)

• Options

I take a 6 hour road trip solo with my kids each June, and I've done so since DS was a baby.  Here are some things I've done to make travel with young kids easier:

--Like you, I always pack a bag of fun stuff.  A white board is a great idea.  Books and activities are a hit.  Magna-doodle/Busy-Bee and other similar magnetic activities work well, too. 

--I pack a snack bag with satisfying, easy to handle treats.  It's the one day of the year when everyone can eat and drink as much as they want all day long.  I have found grapes to be a particularly good car snack, as they are tidy, filling, and help keep kids hydrated as well.

--Don't hesitate to take breaks every few hours, even if this makes the overall trip longer.  My experience has been that it's much easier on kids to get a break than to push through.

--This is kind of a no-brainer, but I make everyone pee every time we stop, even if they claim they don't have to pee.

--I like to alternate between kid CDs and kid-friendly adult CDs on the stereo.

--My kids really enjoy playing car games.  When they were smaller, we would work our way through the alphabet looking for each letter on road signs.  Now that they're older we look for different state license plates.  I have also made my own travel bingo games and scavenger hunts, which my kids like.

--I would avoid craft items in the car.  Simple origami might work, though!  Maybe take a cheap pair of binoculars instead.

Have fun and don't be daunted by the trip!  My kids have come to enjoy car rides.  If you set the tone that it'll be a fun adventure, and you just take it easy, the kids will take their cues from you and have a relaxed time as well. 

High School English teacher and mom of 2 kids:

DD, born 9/06/00 -- 12th grade
    DS, born 8/25/04 -- 7th grade
  • Loading the player...
  • Options
    I got the magnetic letters and numbers and put them in a plastic container and gave DS a metal cookie sheet to use with them.  I also bought stickers, sticker books, color wonders, pipe cleaners (he loved making things with them), little light up toys (they light up and spin  when you press the button), a new movie for the DVD player and some snacks. 
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"