Delaware Babies
Options

Chester County or Christiana Hospital for Maternity???

I am having a very hard time deciding which hospital to deliver my next child - due in November. I delivered my 2 1/2 yr old son at Christiana and had a good experience except that it seems that all OBGYN practices at Christiana have on-call coverage with other practices. For me it ended up resulting in a 66 hour labor with my first because I later learned that doctors typically won't induce patients not from their practice even when, in my case, I desperately needed it. Also, the practice I'm considering at Christiana has a midwife in the delivery rotation that has been delivering babies for all of 3 months - I guess it will be 9 months by the time I'm due. I'm not very comfortable with the thought of a relatively inexperienced midwife possibly being the only person there for my delivery.  The Delaware Maternal Fetal Medicine also stopped taking my insurance as of March 1st :(

I found a great practice at Chester County Hospital that is large enough that they deliver all of their own babies but the hospital is further away (45 mins vs 25 mins for Christiana) and I recently learned you have to share a room 50% of the time. This may sound silly but the thought of sharing a bathroom after childbirth grosses me out a bit ;-)

Both hospitals have Level 3 NICUs and Chester County has CHOP pediatricians on staff. Christiana delivers tons of babies and is known as a great hospital. I don't know what to do - any advice or sharing of your own experiences would be greatly appreciated! TIA

Re: Chester County or Christiana Hospital for Maternity???

• Options
    This is my first pregnancy so I have no experience in these hospitals. However, I've worked in the "baby business" for some year at a store in Delaware and I always hear great things about Christiana from new moms. I chose my OB based on delivering at this hospital. I'm not sure if this was in place when you were there, but they have "family centered care" which means that they offer you a room to deliver and stay in with your baby and a separate bed for your partner to spend the night with you.
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"